When does it stop??

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2012, 03:42 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
DD started K three months ago and she still comes home whiny and irritable every.single.day after school. I miss her when she is gone and then ten minutes later I am ready to send her back, lol. She comes home soo whiny and it does not stop until she goes to bed. She does not nap and is 5 yrs old. I wish she would just nap for everyones sanity in this house!
December 3rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
When does she go to bed?

Is she going right to sleep?
By now she should be adjusted to the school schedule. I'd move her bedtime if you think that'd work. Some kids need more sleep. Did she go to prek? Was she like this there?

I would of said the readjustment to school from Thanksgiving break but you said it was ongoing.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
December 3rd, 2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It was until the 2nd half of K before my son did better with this. He was a month shy of being 6 when he started, had been done with naps for a couple of years, but for the first half of K, I made him napping a requirement when he got home. My deal was he had to lay down for an hour, if he fell asleep great, if not it was at least rest time. 99.9% of the time he fell asleep and slept for 2 hours or so. And he was sleeping 10-11 hours per night, so sleep wasn't an issue. So, for us things didn't really get better until the middle of January.

Good luck!
December 4th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with checking her sleep schedule. If she is doing a lot of activities outside of school she might need to cut back on those too. It is a long day for kids used to being home with mom.

My neighbor's daughter had a hard time adjusting to kindergarten this year. She'd come home and just have a meltdown everyday. Her mom tried letting her rest, and tried taking her outside to play, and neither seemed to help. Finally she started having her do school work as soon as she came home. Our district doesn't really do homework for K, so she got her own workbooks. Believe it or not, that worked. Something about being home with the work like she had at school has helped her transition.
December 4th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I agree that sleep may be the issue. School is exhausting for kids! Last year Jay came home every single day and slept for about an hour, he was just exhausted! This year he still naps sometimes after school - typically on Mondays or after a break from school. Last year if he didn't nap he was miserable and cranky and usually fell asleep before dinner. I think he went about a week and a half where he didn't eat dinner because he was asleep by 5!

So maybe try getting her to nap after school or increasing how much she sleeps at night, an extra 30 minutes to an hour could make a big difference!

Facebook
December 4th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter gets like that when she is really tired. I think school is probably making your daughter even more tired. I know what you are going through because my little one gave up naps at 2. Not every kid will nap...just maybe bring her bedtime back 1/2 hour or so. If I notice my little one getting extra crabby I will do that from 1/2 hour to an hour earlier an it makes a big difference.

January 11th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Veteran
I agree with the other moms. Sometimes school is just physically (and mentally) draining for our LOs. Next time she comes through the door, have one of her favorite snacks waiting, maybe a book and have her bed comfy. Have her lay down for an hour or so and see if her mood changes!

Good luck with everything!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search