New School

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaidynsmum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 04:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are moving to a new area next month (just the next county over) and I'm trying to decide if I want to send my kids to school there or not.

A little background: We have kind of been all over the place. For the first half od kindergarten I homeschooled my daughter, as I knew we were going to be moving. My dh is in the military - we move quite a bit. After we got to Mississippi she went to a public school for the second half of kindergarten. It was a fantastic school and she did really well.

We then moved again, and last year she went to first grade at a public school here in Maryland, and my son went to kindergarten. It was not a good school. At all. I feel like I ignored my instincts there and I never should have sent them. They weren't getting a good education, and there was a lot of bullying and poor behavior allowed at the school. I could really write a whole post on that, but you get the point.

So this year I went back to homeschooling. The kids are now in first and second grade, plus I have my two and four year olds at home. They've done well. We live near Washington DC so I take them on all kinds of cool field trips. My favorite thing about homeschooling is getting to go places on weekdays when there is no crowd. The downside is that sometimes I feel stretched really thin. I miss last year's schedule when I had all day devote to my younger two girls, and then spend the afternoons and evenings with my big kids.

I really haven't had much of a choice though. I can't afford private schools, and I would never put my kids back in the school here. We are now moving though, and the school they would go to is rated really well. I called and set up a tour for later this week. The principal herself spoke to me and will be doing the tour. She was really nice on the phone. That alone gives me a good feeling, as that would have never happened at their old school.

Can anyone think of anything to look for or questions to ask at the tour? I'm kind of nervous because I really want to make the best decision for the kids and our family.

So far I am thinking I will ask about class sizes, and differentiated instruction, which is just basically just meeting the kids where they are at academically. Anything else you can think of?

Well...wish me luck! I will let you guys know how it goes.
January 7th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
I'd ask what their bullying policy is, just let her know you're concerned on that front because of the previous school. I'm not much use on the US school system so I'll leave all the academic stuff to others
Buggymom likes this.
January 7th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with asking about their bullying policy. Also you could ask where they rate compared to the other schools in the area. I would ask what their discipline policy is too.

January 7th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Security. In light of everything going on in the country, I would for sure be asking about what security measures they have in place.
January 9th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So we went and toured it today, and it was really amazing. They just had so much to offer compared to our current districts. Things other places probably take for granted (art, music, library, computers, etc) that we just don't have here. The principal was so nice and so were the teachers we met. The kids (who on the way there said they didn't want to go - they liked homeschooling) were ready to enroll on the spot, lol. We move in another month, and we're leaning towards giving the school a shot.
January 9th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
So we went and toured it today, and it was really amazing. They just had so much to offer compared to our current districts. Things other places probably take for granted (art, music, library, computers, etc) that we just don't have here. The principal was so nice and so were the teachers we met. The kids (who on the way there said they didn't want to go - they liked homeschooling) were ready to enroll on the spot, lol. We move in another month, and we're leaning towards giving the school a shot.
My son's school offers all of that except art and he absolutely LOVES it. He's joined choir and loved that and joined orchestra playing the violin this year and that is by far is favourite class. But, they have computers, library, technology, PE, band, orchestra, choir, music, and then accelerated classes for reading and math for the kids that qualify. It definitely makes for a fun time at school for sure. My son's never known anything different as he's gone to the same school since K, but he really loves it, and according to him, he wouldn't change a thing.

Good luck! Hope they really enjoy it if they start going there!
January 11th, 2013, 06:14 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Glad you liked it. I wad going to say ask about differentiation / enrichment as well as after school clubs your kids could be involved in. Hope all goes well!!

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
January 12th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Glad to hear it went well and the kids are keen, that's half the battle won!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search