Bad Behavior- Cancel a big trip??

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Hi there. I am in such a dilemma. I have an 8 year old boy who is being disrespectful and mean frequently. He has his good times and is such a sweet heart, but if things don't go his way he throws a fit and says mean things. He has been disrespectful to his teacher and his soccer coach. I have tried grounding him and talking with him, but it doesn't seem to sink in and he does't seem to care. We have a family trip planned to go to the Bahamas for my sister in laws wedding, and have Disney world and Atlantis as part of the trip. My husband is thinking of canceling the trip for him and leaving him at home with family. I think that is a harsh punishment and it hurts my heart to think of doing that. We have talked with him and explained why and how we are supposed to behave (this behavior has only been going on since this school year has started). We told him that if it continues he will not go on the trip, that he has to earn stuff like what we are planning. He doesn't seem to care. Do I cancel his trip?? What would you do?? Any recommendations?? Please help.
December 2nd, 2013, 07:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you've already put that on the table with him as a potential consequence, then you need to follow through. If it's not something you can enforce or are willing to enforce, then it shouldn't be placed before him as a potential consequence. I've done that before and have had to go back and explain that I was wrong and ask forgiveness. But for what it's worth, I can see both sides to him going/not going.

He could just be 8. Or there could be something else going on. I hope whichever it is, it makes itself apparent to you, so you can feel assured in your plans and actions. And I hope the trip worked/works out well.
December 3rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
meant2bemommie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It does seem like it is a harsh punishment. Plus it is something you want to enjoy as a family and will be sad if he is not part of the memories.

When you ground him what do you ground him from?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search