We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I have a 6 1/2 year old son who as of last week is on Summer Holidays. The problem is that, both my husband and I work full-time. My parents, who take care of my son all year long will be leaving for their summer home back east and have offered to take my son with them. We have tons of family, cousins, live right by the ocean and I know he would absolutely have the time of his life. I gave him the option of going to summer day camps or with my parents. He decided that he would like to go with my parents. They will away for approx. 7 weeks however my husband and I have decided to use our 2 weeks vacation to go their and spend with all of them. My son was great with this however a couple of days ago he came to me and said that he doesn't want to go as he thinks he will miss me too much! Oh and he leaves in 2 days! I try to reassure him that we will be coming to visit in 10 days after he is there and that he is going to have so much fun and we will Facetime everyday however nothing seems to be working. My son does have anxiety about a lot of issues however we thought he was fine as he spends almost everyday with my parents. I told him that he could back out and could go to summer day camps, however he doesn't want to go their either. My parents, my brother and sister-in law back east have spent the past 3 days trying to convince him and he keeps going back and forth. As long as I am have been a Mom, this is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. My husband keeps telling me that he is with my parents who is totally comfortable with and that he will be just fine and it is just fear of the unknown however if he is clinging to me crying and begging me not to make him go, I don't know what to do. Am I a bad mother for making him go? I just don't know what to do.
Yep. All too fast, too. Has this already been resolved? If not, do you have other childcare options? You're not a bad mom whatever you decided to do, but I was wondering if you could just tell your son that you'd changed your mind and he doesn't have to go and then tell your family something vague like "He isn't feeling well so we'll all see you in 10 days and let's try again next year." to put an end to the back and forth as diplomatically as possible.
My son is 6 1/2 and he hasn't asked for any sleepovers yet. I think my daughter was closer to seven and my other son started by wanting to go too when she had a sleepover.