Homework in Kindergarten?

Forum: Moms of Gradeschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Gradeschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Veteran
My little one is in a small, private Kindergarten program and while the material is no problem for him, the homework is CRAZY!!

The first piece of homework sent home in September was a "find the hidden pictures" puzzle. While he found the first 8 hidden pictures in ONE HOUR I spent another 30 minutes looking for the last two. When it was done, I asked myself, "what is this supposed to teach? Patience?"

The program gears the workload to each child based on his or her abilities and this is now starting to bother me. My little one's weekend homework now a few months into the school year consists of a "find the hidden pictures" puzzle, a phonics exercise, a small math sheet (such as "count by 5s to connect the dots") and a search-a-word. Of course, each and every one of them has to be colored after it's completed.

Last weekend, we spent at least SIX hours doing Kindergarten homework. It only took about an hour to do the work, but my little one colors like going outside of the lines will cause the paper to self-destruct. It's beautiful when he's done, but he colors until his fingers ache (that's another story). I don't need anyone to tell me that this is a lot of work for a 5 year old, but I don't remember myself or my younger sibs getting homework in kindergarten. That was a long time ago, though.

Do most kindergarten-aged children even get homework? I think this is too much too soon, but I have no other K program to compare it to.
November 30th, 2004, 11:05 PM
ranidae
Well Krystle has had homework since her second week of school. While I think homework is important to teach time management and a work ethic, it shouldnt be more than 30min in kindergarten. Krystle is in third grade now and only has around 45min including her 15min of reading. Homework should not cut into family time, and she never had weekend homework, still doesnt.
Maybe it is time to talk with the teacher and see if homework can be toned down because it is interfeiring(sp) with family time especially on the weekends?
December 1st, 2004, 04:56 AM
YankeeMom
The only "homework" my kids ever brought home during kindergarden was family projects to do like getting pictures and making a scrapbook, or doing a turkey together or pinata or something.

I have a 1st grader, 5th grader, and 7th grader...and the only one who has homework (and even then it's rarely) is my 7th grader.
December 1st, 2004, 05:46 AM
Alice's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Brian is in 1st grade. He has had homework since the start of kindergarten. But it has never taken more than 20 minutes to do. Even now, it's one math page, 10 spelling words, and going over vocab (5 new words per week). HOmework on weekends is to "FIX" any errors he has made in the previous week.. it normally takes about 10 minutes.

What your describing is out of control. You and the other moms should speak up. A five year old should NOT spend the day in school and then come home to a mountain of homework.
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/ch/index2.cgi">
December 1st, 2004, 05:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My son's school is the same way- it is ridiculous the amount of homework they ask him to do! He's in first grade now- but his homework in K5 took atleast and hour and a half- which was a problem since I didn't get home with him until 6:00pm and his bedtime is 8:30! Now it is worse- he spends hours doing his homework and has fallen asleep doing it because it took so long before. Now that I know that this is not normal I am going to talk to his teacher about ASAP! (Tonight his homework will be worksheets- on average there are 7 worksheets back and front- and we are not talking about easy stuff!)

December 1st, 2004, 07:26 AM
Ma2RayPooh
rayanne gets homework. it is worksheets about the letter or number they are doing that week. or coloring pictures or practicing small words, numbers, letters, colors. stuff like that
December 1st, 2004, 07:27 AM
Ma2RayPooh
btw welcome to JMs!
December 1st, 2004, 06:53 PM
kjomomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kjomomma
Bryce is in kind. he gets a homework calendar for the entire month. they have to complete 3/5 each week to receive credit. we have him do them all but the work is fairly easy but sometimes a little out there for kids so young. we just got finished writing a story about Inny the inchworm and that was a pain!! he also has his sight word story that we work on every night and flashcards for abc's and sight words. his work never takes more than 45 minutes and that's on a bad night. i would contact the teacher and maybe talk to other parents and see what they think. welcome to jm!!!
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
December 1st, 2004, 07:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My boys did not have homework in K but they have had it every year since. My 3rd grader spends about 2 hours per night and my little one only 45 minutes. What you have described is overboard. I would go and talk to the teacher and if that does not work talk to the principle. Good luck.

Co-host to Thirtysomething Mommies
December 2nd, 2004, 06:37 AM
twinsmom26
Quote:
Bryce is in kind. he gets a homework calendar for the entire month. they have to complete 3/5 each week to receive credit.[/b]
This is what Myles get's and he brings home anything he didnt finish in class for homework. When he first started school he was bringing a ton of work home, but after some talking he hasnt brought anything home in a while. I would call the school if I were you.
December 14th, 2004, 10:00 AM
ConnectingRainbows's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dylan gets homework in the form of a monthly chart and family projects. His teacher doesn't specify any requirements for either and has never said anything about our "lack" of work done. (Dylan is impossible to keep focused!) We also get notices of sight words and letter of the week to work on.

So, he has homework, but nothing formal at this point.

Good luck!

Tired of feeling like you have to be superwoman, caring for everyone but yourself?
You don’t have to! JourneyToJoy.com
December 27th, 2004, 11:05 AM
AuntieFromBama
Welcome to JM!

Yes Alyssa has homework and it's nothing easy. But on top of the homework that she has, our wall down the hallway is done with Letter of the Week, Color of the week, word of the week, word wall, and shapes. And we read 15 mins each night with each child.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search