The home waterbirth of Natalie Frances

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To assisted birth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2008, 04:22 PM
Super Mommy
On Tuesday 7/29 at 37wks and 5 days, I’d had an acupuncture treatment at 5pm to start labor due to pre-eclampsia. I hadn’t felt anything since we’d left the office, so I was preparing to drink castor oil in the morning. I started having contractions at around 10:30pm. I drank a quart of iced RRLT, not extra strong just my usual strength and tried to watch tv.

After a few mild contractions and suddenly I realized that we had no groceries and I decided that we would NEED groceries if we were gonna have a baby that night (midwife and doula to feed and all that). So I called up my girlfriend to find out if she was available to take us to the 24 grocery store. She didn’t answer but called me back and at around 11:45pm she, Brian and I headed for the store. I called the midwife and doula on the way just to let them know I was in early labor. We shopped for about an hour. While there I was having contractions, some strong enough to stop me in my tracks.

We arrived home about 1am and shortly after Brian started filling the pool. My water broke with a pop at around 1:30am while I tried to rest on the couch and the contractions immediately got stronger and more regular. After a few really tough contractions on the toilet, I climbed into the almost full tub at around 1:45 and told Brian to call mw and doula and tell them to come NOW! The water felt good but I was nearing transition. Brian was trying to help me manage contractions (holding and massaging me), lighting candles and otherwise setting up for the birth. I felt like I needed to poop at one point and went back to the bathroom. I realized then that I could NOT handle contractions on land even though they still hurt in the water. I got back in the water for good. I hit full transition a little after 2, complete with shaking and overall panicking, thankfully the doula arrived then (about 2:25am) because Brian was running out of ideas. At this point I told Bri to call my mom and tell her to come NOW. She took right over helping me with contractions and at one point I even asked her if this was transition, lol. I started feeling like I needed to push a few minutes after the doula got there. The mw wasn’t there yet, so I tried to hold off. There was no stopping the pushing though, so I pushed through the contractions while we waited for her. My mom and the mw arrived at about 2:40am. My mw told me to keep on pushing and tried to use the Doppler but I couldn’t be still enough so she just felt around. Brian had taken over labor support and I was howling and screaming on my knees while leaning over the edge off the pool with my face buried in his stomach. I asked the mw if the head was out, since I thought I had made some progress she said not yet but she could feel it. I guess this motivated me since I did not like pushing. I know some people say that it is a relief. Well not me, it hurt a great deal and I wanted it over with! I pushed out her entire body out with the next contraction.

She let out a few yelps immediately and then just stared at everyone and everything. I am still in awe of her beauty. I tore slightly, but my midwife said no stitches were needed. Otherwise, she is a sleepy nurser, but learning fast. I thought our lives were whole and now I realize we were missing this little girl.

Stats:

Birth Date: 7/30/08
Time:2:55am
Total Labor: 4.5 hrs
Name: Natalie Frances
Weight/Height: 6lbs, 15oz / 20 in.

Earn free Amazon gift cards with SWAGBUCKS!

August 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
marialena's Avatar Veteran
What a beautiful birth story. Congratuations!

August 4th, 2008, 08:18 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!! I'm glad everything went so well and so quickly for you! And I'd love to see a pic of her, but the link didn't work for me...
September 10th, 2008, 12:28 PM
~Jackie
Lovely story and what a fast labor!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search