Reid Bradley's birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To assisted birth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The birth of Reid Brady 10-14-2007 9lbs 8oz & 24”
Born at 42 weeks and 3 days gestation

All day on 10/13 something felt a bit different. It wasn’t contractions, but just a general feeling of needing to be done with the pregnancy. I was overly emotional, in fact I was weepy about the results of our ultrasound because the baby looked so funny all squished up in there. Aubrey (DH) and I had planned to go to a movie as a last date before the baby came but I was tired so I took a nap instead. After I woke up I noticed some contractions that seemed fairly strong, but they weren’t time able. We decided to go to Barnes and Noble instead to walk around and hopefully kick start labor. We got into the first set of doors and I heard a loud pop followed by a gush of water. We were elated that the baby had finally decided to declare a birthday.

We called Cori (our midwife) at 9:30 and let her know and planned to keep her updated once contractions were more regular and harder to work through. It was a beautiful night out so Aubrey and I took several walks. The sky was so clear and the stars were beautiful. We talked about what we hoped the birth would be like and made our final guesses on gender and weight.

Shortly after midnight the contractions picked up to every 4 minutes and I had to breathe through them. The Red Sox playoff game made a good distraction for a while but then we decided it was time to have Cori come over.

Aubrey and I took several more walks to help keep the contractions stronger and regular. On our last walk I wasn’t able to walk through them anymore so we just stood outside enjoying the cool weather and I leaned on him for support during the contractions. We came back inside and I labored in our room for a while, sitting on the birth ball or kneeling at the end of the bed was the most comfortable by then. Around 3am I wanted to get into the water to see if that would help take the edge off the contractions. We knew going into the labor that I was at least 4cm so I was hoping to have made some progress. I was so excited to hear that I was 6-7 cm and 80% effaced. All my previous labors were pitocin induced and I had an epidural around 5cm so this part of labor was all new to me. I got into the tub and tried various positions to try and stay as comfortable as possible. I found that my body would instinctively rock and sway during contractions. Up until this point we had still be talking and joking during contractions and it didn’t seem possible to me that I was this far along and still coping okay. It was amazing to me to be able to feel my body work with the baby, it was almost as if I was detached from the process and just watching.

After being in the tub for a while I wasn’t really able to make decisions anymore. I remember Cori asking if I wanted to get out of the tub and I said I didn’t know, because I really didn’t, all I could think about was getting through the next contraction. Somewhere between 4-5am the contractions started to change, they were more pressure and not as much pain as it was the constant feeling of the baby being so low. I completely lost track of time, but I know that I went fairly quickly from 8-9cm and had just a little lip of cervix left. I remember thinking that he would be born soon and feeling elation mixed with a bit of fear because I was so tired I wondered how I would be able to push. Cori had me try several different positions to try and get rid of that last bit of cervix. I sat on the toilet, tried being on my hands and knees and for a while and then I tried being on my side. In between contractions on my side I felt wonderful, I was able to completely relax and gear up for pushing. Cori gave me something to help with the cervical swelling so we could work that part past the baby’s head and finally I was able to push. Those few minutes were probably the most painful but I knew that in order to birth the baby we had to work through this part. I was on my back at the time and my body just wouldn’t push right. Cori suggested that I try a squatting position and it took all my strength to stand up and Aubrey stood behind me supporting my weight. As soon as I stood up I had a few contractions and I stood through those. Then I was able to get into a squatting position and the rest of my water broke in a huge gush. Cori looked at me and said “We’re going to have a baby now” and sure enough I could feel his head starting to crown. She guided me through what to expect and it was amazing. I felt a burning sensation and tried to push slowly to allow his head to pass through. Squatting had gravity on my side so his head was out very quickly and then his shoulders and the rest of his body. Aubrey announced that it was a boy and I think we all cried tears of joy that he was here and okay. We knew he was going to be on the larger side being 17 days past his due date but I was so surprised that he was so long.

There is no way I could have made it through without the support of Cori, Amanda (the birth assistant), my Mom and Aubrey. I didn’t think that it was possible to fall in love all over again with my husband, but his complete support emotionally and physically was amazing. He always seemed to know what I needed before I asked. After having three induced births it was so empowering to know that my body can go into labor on its own. It is a great privilege to experience pregnancy and birth and to go on to parent these new lives. I am blessed to have 4 amazing children!

October 15th, 2007, 06:30 PM
4boys
Wow! I am so glad you got the birth experience you wanted and your new son is absolutely beautiful! Congrats again!!
October 16th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mikeys_mommy1_2006
Quote:
The birth of Reid Brady 10-14-2007 9lbs 8oz & 24”
Born at 42 weeks and 3 days gestation

All day on 10/13 something felt a bit different. It wasn’t contractions, but just a general feeling of needing to be done with the pregnancy. I was overly emotional, in fact I was weepy about the results of our ultrasound because the baby looked so funny all squished up in there. Aubrey (DH) and I had planned to go to a movie as a last date before the baby came but I was tired so I took a nap instead. After I woke up I noticed some contractions that seemed fairly strong, but they weren’t time able. We decided to go to Barnes and Noble instead to walk around and hopefully kick start labor. We got into the first set of doors and I heard a loud pop followed by a gush of water. We were elated that the baby had finally decided to declare a birthday.

We called Cori (our midwife) at 9:30 and let her know and planned to keep her updated once contractions were more regular and harder to work through. It was a beautiful night out so Aubrey and I took several walks. The sky was so clear and the stars were beautiful. We talked about what we hoped the birth would be like and made our final guesses on gender and weight.

Shortly after midnight the contractions picked up to every 4 minutes and I had to breathe through them. The Red Sox playoff game made a good distraction for a while but then we decided it was time to have Cori come over.

Aubrey and I took several more walks to help keep the contractions stronger and regular. On our last walk I wasn’t able to walk through them anymore so we just stood outside enjoying the cool weather and I leaned on him for support during the contractions. We came back inside and I labored in our room for a while, sitting on the birth ball or kneeling at the end of the bed was the most comfortable by then. Around 3am I wanted to get into the water to see if that would help take the edge off the contractions. We knew going into the labor that I was at least 4cm so I was hoping to have made some progress. I was so excited to hear that I was 6-7 cm and 80% effaced. All my previous labors were pitocin induced and I had an epidural around 5cm so this part of labor was all new to me. I got into the tub and tried various positions to try and stay as comfortable as possible. I found that my body would instinctively rock and sway during contractions. Up until this point we had still be talking and joking during contractions and it didn’t seem possible to me that I was this far along and still coping okay. It was amazing to me to be able to feel my body work with the baby, it was almost as if I was detached from the process and just watching.

After being in the tub for a while I wasn’t really able to make decisions anymore. I remember Cori asking if I wanted to get out of the tub and I said I didn’t know, because I really didn’t, all I could think about was getting through the next contraction. Somewhere between 4-5am the contractions started to change, they were more pressure and not as much pain as it was the constant feeling of the baby being so low. I completely lost track of time, but I know that I went fairly quickly from 8-9cm and had just a little lip of cervix left. I remember thinking that he would be born soon and feeling elation mixed with a bit of fear because I was so tired I wondered how I would be able to push. Cori had me try several different positions to try and get rid of that last bit of cervix. I sat on the toilet, tried being on my hands and knees and for a while and then I tried being on my side. In between contractions on my side I felt wonderful, I was able to completely relax and gear up for pushing. Cori gave me something to help with the cervical swelling so we could work that part past the baby’s head and finally I was able to push. Those few minutes were probably the most painful but I knew that in order to birth the baby we had to work through this part. I was on my back at the time and my body just wouldn’t push right. Cori suggested that I try a squatting position and it took all my strength to stand up and Aubrey stood behind me supporting my weight. As soon as I stood up I had a few contractions and I stood through those. Then I was able to get into a squatting position and the rest of my water broke in a huge gush. Cori looked at me and said “We’re going to have a baby now” and sure enough I could feel his head starting to crown. She guided me through what to expect and it was amazing. I felt a burning sensation and tried to push slowly to allow his head to pass through. Squatting had gravity on my side so his head was out very quickly and then his shoulders and the rest of his body. Aubrey announced that it was a boy and I think we all cried tears of joy that he was here and okay. We knew he was going to be on the larger side being 17 days past his due date but I was so surprised that he was so long.

There is no way I could have made it through without the support of Cori, Amanda (the birth assistant), my Mom and Aubrey. I didn’t think that it was possible to fall in love all over again with my husband, but his complete support emotionally and physically was amazing. He always seemed to know what I needed before I asked. After having three induced births it was so empowering to know that my body can go into labor on its own. It is a great privilege to experience pregnancy and birth and to go on to parent these new lives. I am blessed to have 4 amazing children![/b]
He is beautiful! I didn't realize that was a pict. of your new son. He is big boy. Congratulations!

</div>
October 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
what an amazing story, I am glad you finally got the birth you wanted

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

January 9th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Melamma's Avatar Member
Send a message via AIM to Melamma
That was a beautiful story!!!

God bless you and you family!

Topic Tools Search this Topic