Logan Daniel

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To assisted birth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Logan Daniel
Born February 14th, 2008
8:00pm
10lbs, 21 inches

I started having mild, but regular contractions on Tuesday morning, so we called our midwife and the kids went to my in-laws. The contractions went all day and then faded out. Same on Wednesday. On Wednesday, we went to the mall to see if walking wouldn't help things along. We also took advantage of the fact that we had no kids with us and went out for lunch, to celebrate Valentine's Day. I was 3cm and 80% effaced.

On Valentine's Day, the contractions seemed a bit stronger than they'd been before, but weren't really progressing. I made a special breakfast for DH and after my shower, I found some chocolates and a card on my pillow. It was a nice quiet morning for us alone. In the afternoon, DH decided to go check on the kids at his Mom and Dad's, and spend the afternoon with them so his Mom could go get some work done at the office. We agreed that he'd stay until supper time and if nothing was happening, the kids would come home again. If things were picking him, he'd come back without them. Since I've done a lot of this starting and stopping with my last two home births, my midwife was prepared to wait it out with me.

I remembered that I had a bit of castor oil left from my last birth. I wasn't overdue yet, so I didn't want to try too hard to force labour if my body just wasn't ready - but I figured if I'd already been having contractions for 3 days, maybe I just needed a little help to kick things into high gear. I took about 2 Tbsp. What's the worst that could happen? I'd get the runs. Oh well, it was worth a shot. About an hour later I was having hard contractions. I was still scared that they would just stop again and I wanted to make really sure that it was for real before I told DH to come back without the kids. By 5pm I phoned him and said it was time to come back. I was in pain! I laboured in the bathtub while I waited for him to drive the hour back home. When DH arrived, he got to work filling the birth pool while I wandered around the house, moaning and rocking through contractions when they hit. Standing seemed to offer the most relief, sitting or lying down made it really painful. Finally my birth pool was full of nice warm water and that felt really good. Contractions got a lot harder after I got in and were coming faster. By 7:30pm, I still figured I had several hours to go - but judging by the sounds I was making, both the midwife and DH knew I was getting close. The midwife offered to check me, but I was scared she would tell me that after all that pain I was only 4cm or something! So I declined. I felt some pressure during 2 or 3 contractions and was in a lot of pain. Our midwife said she could try something that might help, but I'd have to go from my sitting position onto my knees so she could put pressure on my pelvis from behind. Just like my last birth, that change in position was all it took and with the very next contraction I pushed him out! There was some screaming. Oh, and then the baby started to cry too. It was 8pm on the dot, DH could hear the chimes from our clock ringing. Even after Logan was out I couldn't believe it was really over! I nursed him right away in the pool to help with the delivery of the placenta, but he wasn't overly cooperative - too busy screaming. DH used the opportunity to start phoning our parents, so they could hear their new grandson over the phone. Then I had a nice warm shower and crawled into bed with Logan. Then he was much more interested in nursing, so he did that for quite awhile. When he was finished, the midwife checked us both over and I made her show me the scale to see that he was really 10lbs! DH and the midwife drained the pool and cleaned everything up. DH was quite impressed that by 10pm we were all settled in the living room having some supper that his Oma brought over earlier in the day, and he didn't even have to miss Lost! Couldn't have asked for it to go any better!
February 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
beautiful beautiful story shawna!!!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

February 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
tinafrank's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kristin added a link for all of us in the Nov '06 PR. It sounds like a perfect & wonderful birth! Glad that it all went so smoothly. Congratulations, Momma!
February 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
congrats wonderful home birth

February 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM
TwoSweetGirls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay Shawna. Welcome home Logan!
February 15th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
sounds like you had a great birth Shawna, congrats

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

February 15th, 2008, 01:52 PM
4boys
Awesome story, Shawna!! Congrats on your little boy!
February 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Madylyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Madylyn Send a message via Yahoo to Madylyn
lol just another day at your house huh? Great story, I really enjoyed it and congrats!!

Check out my pics & my blog!
February 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a beautiful birth story. I love that you could hear the clock chimes ringing. Congratulations on your new son!
February 15th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Big congrats Shawna! What a perfect birth story! Thanks for sharing! Hope to see you around more soon!

</div>
February 15th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Congrats!!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 16th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Keok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!! Sounds like a wonderful birth!!

February 16th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Jessica_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
amazing story!!! Welcome Logan!
February 16th, 2008, 11:18 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations again, Shawna - sounds like a wonderful birth!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search