My unplanned unassisted birth in the hospital parking lot.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RandE

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To unassisted birth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2014, 11:24 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had posted in this group before my son was born inquiring about a home birth. I could not find a midwife that would see me at 37 weeks so I decided that I would have to endure another hospital birth. I spend hours preparing mentally for a natural unmedicated hospital birth, along with educating myself on what to expect so I did not let the nurses bully me into doing things I didn't want to do again. I ended up birthing my son naturally completely unassisted, while trying to make it to the hospital, away from the nasty nurses anyway!

I woke up the morning of April 19th feeling a little crampy and off. No contractions but just a little 'tender' I guess. I was annoyed that my contractions from the night before died out so I ignored it. Spent my morning with DS1 like we usually do and then layed down for a nap with him around noon. Contractions must have started again while I was napping because I remember having dreams about them. Woke up thinking it was just wishful thinking because I didn't feel any different. After about 10-15 minutes I started feeling them again. This was around 2:30. My family was waiting for me and DS1 for Easter lunch at our cabin which was 20 minutes away. I walked around thinking about whether or not I should go, seeing as how the contractions died out the night before. I figured I was in for a few days of that at least. At the last minute I decided to go. I packed DS1's overnight bag just in case I had to leave and headed out the door. I had a couple stronger contractions while driving but since they usually got worse when I sat figure that was the case and didn't think too much of them. I Made it to the cabin and enjoyed talking to family and taking pictures with our new little point and shoot camera. Soon (like within the hour) the contractions started getting worse to the point where I was having difficulty getting comfortable. I decided it was time to leave- kissed DS1 goodbye and headed out the door. I called DH to tell him what was going on since he was on his way into work. His work would write him up if he skipped and it was a false alarm so we agreed that he would go in and I would let him know when I knew it was the real thing. This was around 5:30pm. Around 5:45pm I got home and got into the tub to try to relax and control the pain (which was not unbearable- I could easily talk and breath through them), and to see if the contractions would go away. As I was sitting there I had the urge to use the bathroom where my body started cleaning itself out. Just a little at first so I thought maybe it was a fluke from the pain and got back into the tub. The contractions started hurting enough that I needed to vocalize through them so I got out of the tub and went the bathroom again. More cleaning out and accompanied by bloody show and mucus plug. DH texted me to see how I was doing and I told him he needed to come home. This was around 6:30pm. He got home around 6:45pm and started puttering around the house getting the rest of our hospital stuff together and out to the car. We weren't in a hurry because we thought it was still early labor even though I needed to stop and lean on something and vocalize through my contractions. I had only been having mild contractions about 4 hours at this point. Finally we were ready to get in the car at about 7:15pm. I got in and quickly found out I could not sit through the contractions and instead leaned the seat back and kneeled facing the back. Bellowing and moaning through each contractions DH sped to the hospital which was a good 45 minutes away. On the way there the contractions are getting closer and closer together. DH was timing them I guess- 6 minutes..... 5 minutes..... 3 minutes..... I was getting louder and louder. By the time we got to the hospital I was nearly screaming with each contraction. I was also getting an uncontrollable urge to bear down. DH flew into the parking lot (we made it in about 30 minutes) and ran to grab a wheelchair for me. He found out the doors to the birthing center were locked so he got back into the car and drove to find another door. No luck. He pulled back up to the wheelchair and saw a phone where he called to tell the staff that we were there and I was in labor. Not sure how they were going to let us in at that point (I was otherwise occupied) but while he was gone I had the worst contraction yet that caused me to bear down and scream bloody murder (apparently I'm a loud laborer lol). He got back into the car and pulled into the temporary labor patient parking space and brought me the chair. While he was gone I stuck my finger up 'there' to see if I was just imagining the urge to push or if it was the real deal. I felt his head (yay he has hair!) right there and ready to go. DH wrenched open the car door and told me to get into the chair. I said I couldn't. I couldn't move, walk, stand, sit, kneel. I was stuck right there and the baby was coming right now. He said "no it isn't" and tried to pull me from the car. I said "yes it is and I CANNOT MOVE." He managed to get me standing in the parking lot leaning into the car. "He's coming NOW." I told him. He felt under me and tried to get me in the chair again. Again I said no, I could not move. I felt a pop and a gush of fluid- my waters broke. I gave a small push and felt his head slide down. "His head is out I said." DH felt under me again and ran back to the emergency phone. He came back 10 seconds later. I still had my pants on. He pulled them down and I said "his shoulders are coming, you need to catch him. Don't let him hit the pavement." His shoulders slipped out with another small push and DH caught him inside my pants where he started to cry immediately. Thank goodness. DH handed him up to me between my legs and I told him to grab blankets or towels or clothes- he needs to stay warm it was mid April in Wisconsin after all. It took about a minute and a half to "push" him out. I put it in quotes because it was not a process I could control at that point. Completely instinctual and biological. My body took over. He was born at 8:02 pm.

The nurses came barreling out at this point. Like 6 ob nurses and a couple NICU nurses. They laid me back on the passenger side car seat to check my bleeding and whatnot. I kept asking if the baby was ok. He was on my chest but not crying anymore. The lovely nurse that was behind me supporting my torso kept rubbing my shoulders and saying that he is fine and perfect. His heart rate was good and he was breathing great. She kept telling me how amazing I did and comforting me. She was awesome. DH cut the cord while I was laying on the seat. My placenta wouldn't deliver in the car so they got me on a stretcher and wheeled me into a room. The ob on call suited up and delivered the placenta and stitched me up- just a small tear where my old scar was. Everything with baby E was delayed which is what I wanted in a round about way. They didn't get around to weighing him for close to 3 hours. 9 lbs 5 oz. 21 inches long. Holy crap. Lol

Anyway he is perfect with no ill side effects of being born outside in 45 degree weather. I got my natural labor and birth and I'm so happy I did. DH is just in awe of what he and I did. He thinks it was so special to have that experience just he and I unassisted. It really was amazing. Even though it wasn't planned and was very stressful I'm so happy with how it turned out. An incredible and unforgettable experience for both of us.

I traumatized a 6 year old girl that watched me deliver in the parking lot. Her mom says "she's having a BABY!" and they both watched me like I was a heifer calving in the pasture. Lmao but it's all good. I lost all shame when his head popped out from between my legs.

If I have any more babies I will definitely, 100%, without a doubt, be having a home birth. Now I know what I'm capable of and I know it's something I can handle and would prefer to the stress of the hospital.
THE angry uterus likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search