Food Storage/ Pantry cooking

Forum: Cooking, Entertaining and Party Planning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cooking, Entertaining and Party Planning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Over the years my husband and I have gotten into food storeage and pantry cooking. I first heard of pantry cooking from the cookbook I linked. Basically it just suggests that you should buy your supplies and cook from what you have on hand. This marries very well with only buying what is on sale and storing it. Yes I have a freezer too. We are going to try an experiment and not purchase any food in February.

So what is your cooking style?

Amazon.com: Monday-to-Friday Cookbook (0019628037480): Michele Urvater, Simms Taback: Books

our pantry

Last edited by Happy Song; December 27th, 2011 at 02:27 PM.
December 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I don't have the space or the patience for that sort of thing. I think it's really cool that some families make it work for them, though. Let us know how it goes!

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
December 29th, 2011, 07:14 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I also don't have the space. I try to keep a months worth of pantry stuff in the space I do have. It's easier for us because we prefer fresh.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
December 29th, 2011, 10:21 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't have a pantry (or the space). I've also tried to move away from canned goods since reading about the BPA in the lining and such.

We make a meal plan for 15 days at a time and only shop once one each paycheck. We've been good about sticking to that. I'm going to try and add couponing to this (which I know will mean more boxes, but I will still try and stay away from cans).

That's an amazing stockpile though!

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
December 29th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Happy Mommy
wow! I'm jealous!! I wish I had space for things like that
December 29th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w292737 View Post
wow! I'm jealous!! I wish I had space for things like that
Yeah me too I am going to end up with three kids in one bedroom because of this.

January 5th, 2012, 03:41 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Woooooooooow I wish I had that space!!! My space is limited but I stock pile what I can fit into my pantry (which is just a large cabinet compared to yours lol) and my biggest cabinet is a spice cabinet which also holds extras like ketchup, oils, vinegars, wines.

I have a huge deep freeze, that's where my savings comes from.

I would say Im the same, I buy on sale in bulk if the price is right and thats what we eat. I am currently working on preparing meats, such as cooking up chicken quarters and shredding the chicken for quesadillas, soups, salads, etc... and freezing it and the broth stock.

I will be doing the same with pork.

i bought a 10 lb bag of potatoes last week and baked them into twice baked potatoes, froze them individually. its nice when you want a snack.

I just got another bag of potatoes that I will prep for fries, dice for soups, etc...

I just got a bunch of good deals on meat today, so tomorrow it will be all about separating into ziplocks for freezing. Cooking the chickens and the pork, and Im going to attempt to make and prefreeze some stuffed bell peppers.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 6th, 2012, 12:19 AM
When potatoes were on sale 10lbs for $1 we bought 300lbs 100lbs are in an ice chest in the shop. 200 lbs are done up the old fashioned way buried in the ground. We have 20 acres so any that get all eye or rotted we will plant, feed to the chickens or compost.

January 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whoa! THAT is a pantry! Good luck in February!

My cooking style is last minute. We generally don't pre plan meals, and often shop the day of or day before. Past few weeks however, I have been attempting to buy one bulk load of grocery a week, but it hasn't really helped in my meal planing.
January 6th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We do some food storage too mostly we are working on building up our emergency supplies. I cook from my pantry quite a bit, we do buy some fresh fruits and veg about every two weeks (I prep and freeze alot when it is in season, this year I did 30lbs of tomatoes, I made them into diced, tomatoe sauces (2 different kinds, I discoverd roasted tomato is so much easier then what I have been doing, the roasted taste so much better too and salsa, we also did carrots and zuchini, we have done 40lbs of peppers in the past but I didn't use as many as I thought we would) Next year we are going to branch into canning it all instead of freezing. We have to stay away from most processed food because of allergies and sodium concerns. It is really nice to be able to reach into the pantry and freezer and have your meal right there. I did that last night Good luck on not buying any food in Feb

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
January 7th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama.Angie View Post
Whoa! THAT is a pantry! Good luck in February!

My cooking style is last minute. We generally don't pre plan meals, and often shop the day of or day before. Past few weeks however, I have been attempting to buy one bulk load of grocery a week, but it hasn't really helped in my meal planing.
Oddly enough this is so true! Especially when you first get started you feel like... you spent tons of money and have nothing to eat! Like for me this month I bought 15lbs of real butter, which is a lot of money not a whole lot of meal spark.

Butter reg price $3lb sale price $1.88 with 5 bonas points. Savings $16.80 plus $.75 earned store cash. And I had completely run out of butter over the holidays. The last box had a "best by date" of Aug 2010. I have given birth twice since then!

January 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YES! I get it all unloaded, love that my fridge/pantry looks so full, then order a pizza! Okay, not what really happens, but it happened last week! Mostly 'cause I was too tired to cook at that point but still!

Oh and at creating life two times past the expiration of butter!
January 7th, 2012, 05:10 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My pantry is also not as big as your food storage space. Our chest freezers are our largest food storage area. We raise our own beef and every other year get a feeder calf butchered. It is a lot money wise all at once, but we know the quality of the meat is going to be good and that it will last us a long time! We also try to buy a 4-H hog (or half of one) every other year. The only meat I buy is poultry and fish. We also put up our own sweet corn every year or every other year depending on how good the crop was (DH plants a large sweetcorn patch every year when he plants the field corn.) I tried to cook with nothing but what we had on hand last October (to clean out the pantry) and made it about 2 1/2 weeks before giving in. I would love to get more into gardening, freezing, and canning but don't have much of a green thumb and know nothing about freezing or canning vegetables.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search