hormone confusion after mc?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Veteran
Hello.

I am an "older" TTCer with 3 grown sons and a beautiful 3-year-old boy. I have always felt sad that my little one's only siblings were all old enough to be his dad, so I have been TTC since AF returned after having him (about 7 months).

Anyway, I FINALLY succeeded last March, but sadly I MC a week and a half ago at 8 weeks (blighted ovum, I believe).

My doctor said she didn't know when my cycle would return to normal. I have always been super regular and didn't like being in the dark.

This past Saturday, 10 days past the MC start, I was getting what felt like ovulation cramps in my left side, so I used a leftover OPK I had. It came up positive. Well, the cramps went away yesterday, but then I swear I could feel a bit of cramping on my RIGHT side taday, Monday (though not as bad as the left had been). I tried another OPK, and that was positive, too. I don't know what it would have been yesterday (Sunday) because I didn't bother testing; when I've used these in the past I'd only get a + for one day.

I read online that leftover Hcg in your system after a MC can cause a false + on an OPK, but I took a PG test and it read completely negative.

I don't know what is going on with my body, if I've ovulated, am going to ovulate, if my hormones are all whacked out, or what.

I can't go by CM because I am older and unfortunately don't get that anymore (I used raw eggwhite to conceive this last one). My temp this morning was messed up because my room was very cold and I was, too.

I am worried that something is amiss. Since my Hcg levels dropped from 10,000 to 1100 from the start of the MC till 3 days later, my doctor felt things would be okay on their own and that a D+C wasn't necessary.

Please, does anyone have any experience with OPK's or know about ovulation irregularities after a MC?

Many thanks for any help...

June 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Veteran
I really don't know the answer to this but it seems like it might be too early to ovulate. My doc told me it would be about 4-6 weeks but we can't try then anyway. You definately might have enough hormones in your system left to make the OPK positive.

If it were me I'd call the doc and just make sure your numbers have kept going down. Mine stopped at 150 and I had to have a shot of Methotrexate to try to get them to keep falling without having the d&c. My doc says I will keep having a blood test every week until they are under 5. Mine is definately concerned about making sure my numbers go back to pre-pregnant state. You might consider getting another blood test.

I hope emotionally you're doing okay, sorry you've not received any other responses. I think most of us just missed this post. If you can please let us know how you're doing.

June 6th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to amy2008

I would agree that it is too early to ovulate. In my experiences, it has taken weeks for the levels to drop back to "normal". My dr makes me get a blood test every week until the level is under 5 as well. Once that happened, I needed to wait for another period and let that cycle go before attempting again. I would definitely call your dr and ask for another blood test. I would also ask her why she isn't regularly checking your levels - that seems odd to me.

And the dr really can't tell you when your cycle will start up again. Unfortunately, as my dr has informed me many times, each and every miscarriage is different and they can not really predict anything.

But I can tell you I cried all day when I got my first period after the miscarriage - I just kept thinking this shouldn't be happening. I am sorry for your loss and wish you well. Good luck.

My Angels:
Hope - m/c 10/5/04
Junior - m/c 1/31/06
Baby - m/c 1/27/08
May - d&c/lap/tube removal 6/13/08

IVF in September: BFN

To view my blog click here
June 7th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Veteran
Hi. Thank you both for your responses. I'm guessing that was all it was was leftover Hcg.

I'm thinking all the cramping was because I'd developed some cysts on my ovaries which the doctor said was from the PG.

My temp went up CD 20 (if the start of the mc was CD 1) and have been up for 5 days, so either I am sick or I finally O, though I had no other symptoms this time.

I asked my doctor if I needed another blood test and she treated me like I was a bit ridiculous, because she said my levels had dropped so quickly, she's sure there isn't a problem. I hope she is right!

Thanks again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search