Fibromyalgia

Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2008, 07:06 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wondering about a few questions....

How quick is a doctor to diagnosis someone with fibro? Is it thrown around "losely" if they don't really know what is going on? Or it is something that most doctors don't give a diagnosis of unless they are sure it is correct?
April 11th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Becca's_Mommy's Avatar Becca's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Becca's_Mommy Send a message via MSN to Becca's_Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Becca's_Mommy
I am not sure about that. I know that it involves pain in like 12 "points" of the body. And for a long time it was not an actual recognized disease. It has been "around" for like a decade (I think) but I don't think it was actually recognized until the past few years. But I haven't researched it or anything. That is just from hearing people talk. I don't know how you diagnose it, it does sound like they thow it out there a lot. My Rhuemy has mentioned it. Dina said her Rhuemy has too. So I am like you I wonder too!

April 12th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks

I wonder, but sometimes when I read info about it I'm like "hmm, thats a good posibility." I mean, by the 18 pressure points, there have to be 11 or 12 do get diagnosed. He's done that, and there were definitely at least 11 or 12. So that check marks in my brain. The fatigue and sleep distrubance is definitely there too. I have such a hard time sleeping, even when not pregnant. I feel like I'm awake every hour up until about 4am... then I get a couple hours straight of sleep... but then I'm up for the day. So I never feel rested. Then I've read things about tension headaches, which I get a lot, IBS, painful menstrual cramps... which mine are OMG bad... to the point where I'm throwing up from the pain and unable to get out of bed. So all of those things put check marks in my head. Then I get this really heavy, kinda tingly, aching feeling in my legs... and I've read about that being related. I just don't know. I mean, all of those "symptoms" could be symptoms for other things too, KWIM?

It's just frustrating.

I also have a hard time sometimes telling the difference if I'm stiff because my muscles are stiff or because it is my joints. Sometimes I can tell, but sometimes I can't. Maybe I can tell, just don't know how to describe it in words... so when I get asked at the doctor's office I have no idea what to say.

I'm kind of like that with pain tolerance. He wants me to rate pain on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst. I've ALWAYS had a hard time doing that. And sometimes I think it's even harder for me because I've learned to just "deal" with the pain, especially for the few years it was going on before I went to see a doctor. Does that make sense?
April 12th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Send a message via AIM to Becca's_Mommy Send a message via MSN to Becca's_Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Becca's_Mommy
Quote:
Thanks

I wonder, but sometimes when I read info about it I'm like "hmm, thats a good posibility." I mean, by the 18 pressure points, there have to be 11 or 12 do get diagnosed. He's done that, and there were definitely at least 11 or 12. So that check marks in my brain. The fatigue and sleep distrubance is definitely there too. I have such a hard time sleeping, even when not pregnant. I feel like I'm awake every hour up until about 4am... then I get a couple hours straight of sleep... but then I'm up for the day. So I never feel rested. Then I've read things about tension headaches, which I get a lot, IBS, painful menstrual cramps... which mine are OMG bad... to the point where I'm throwing up from the pain and unable to get out of bed. So all of those things put check marks in my head. Then I get this really heavy, kinda tingly, aching feeling in my legs... and I've read about that being related. I just don't know. I mean, all of those "symptoms" could be symptoms for other things too, KWIM?

It's just frustrating.

I also have a hard time sometimes telling the difference if I'm stiff because my muscles are stiff or because it is my joints. Sometimes I can tell, but sometimes I can't. Maybe I can tell, just don't know how to describe it in words... so when I get asked at the doctor's office I have no idea what to say.

I'm kind of like that with pain tolerance. He wants me to rate pain on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst. I've ALWAYS had a hard time doing that. And sometimes I think it's even harder for me because I've learned to just "deal" with the pain, especially for the few years it was going on before I went to see a doctor. Does that make sense?[/b]

LOL we could be twins it sounds like! You just described me ! You should really push for investigating AS instead of RA. Do you have a lot of hip pain (besides when your preggo lol)?

April 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Hip pain? Oh yes!!!! Lower back and my hips are my stiffest posts. It's horrible! Seriously. Sometimes I seriously feel like I should be walking with a walker.... I'm not joking. Or at least a cane. I have to use my arms a lot to stand myself up from the couch or a chair, because I just can't seem to push up with my legs because my hips hurt so bad. It isn't so bad where I feel I need a walker/cane 24/7 but definitely every day... it just isn't constantly that bad. Does that make sense? I seriously feel embarrased sometimes when I walk through the house. Not that my husband would ever laugh or poke fun at me, but it just embarrases ME to be like that. Like a 23 year old "normal" person shouldn't be walking or feeling like this. It is so hard to explain in words.... I hate that!

Give me some tips on what I should ask or say to my rheumy when I go back July 1st regarding AS. I don't know much about it, and sometimes I'm scared to ask a bunch of questions. He's really nice, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. But sometimes I feel silly, like I'm over-reaching. I guess sometimes I just think "Oh why should I ask? That can't be ME." Not necessarily "denial" but in a way. Does that make sense?
April 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Here is a great site for information, this is the link to the symptoms, but the entire site is wondeful. Anything written or sponsered by that site is usually really good information. You can donate $25.00 and they will send you monthly news letters, information and you get access to extra support information. It is really great, they even have a list of recommended rhuemys

ETA: LMBO, helps if you include the link you are talking about... http://www.spondylitis.org/about/as_sym.aspx

April 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Thank you for the link! I think I've read info at that site before, but I'm going to go back and read through it again. I think it might be good of me to start writing notes down on how I'm feeling, what I did before I started feeling worse, etc. And writing down any questions so that I don't forget them between now and July 1st.

The more I read and think about my situation, the more I think that maybe I am not explaining things to him correctly. For instant, I told him that if I stand and do the dishes for 10 or 15 minutes, my lower back and hips start aching and I need a break. Well, I guess thinking back on it.... AFTER I sit down and take a break, I feel even WORSE. Like WAY more stiff and in pain. And that is when I can barely get out of the chair/couch and I can barely walk, feel like I need a walker or a cane to help me get around. Does that make sense? I guess I didn't realize until now that I should tell him things are worse after I rest.

What do you think?

Oh, and it is so nice to have someone to talk to and to get some advice from!
April 12th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I just read info on this site.... which makes me really think about why I am questioning fibromyalgia!

These two sentences really stick out to me....

#1- FM should be considered in any person with musculoskeletal pain that is unrelated to any anatomic lesion.
#2- Unfortunately, given the difficulties of diagnosing FM, it is estimated that it takes an average of 5 years from the time the patient first reports symptoms to the time when FM is formally diagnosed.

The site: http://www.hopkins-arthritis.org/arthritis.../diagnosis.html

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search