Anyone eating gluten free/pregnant?

Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Hello! My daughter and father have (biopsy) diagnosed celiac disease. My daughter was diagnosed over 3 years ago at age 3 1/2 and my father after her. I was fine eating gluten until about 1+ ago. Then I noticed that I could not eat it without having issues. I have cut gluten out all together- I am not sure I could eat gluten long enough to get tested! Anyway, I am pregnant now and sometimes it is so hard to find good things to eat! Any recommendations? Also, any problems with eating gluten free and being pregnant? My DR gave me prenatal that was good at absorbing folic acid-- but otherwise no special instructions.
October 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hello! My daughter and father have (biopsy) diagnosed celiac disease. My daughter was diagnosed over 3 years ago at age 3 1/2 and my father after her. I was fine eating gluten until about 1+ ago. Then I noticed that I could not eat it without having issues. I have cut gluten out all together- I am not sure I could eat gluten long enough to get tested! Anyway, I am pregnant now and sometimes it is so hard to find good things to eat! Any recommendations? Also, any problems with eating gluten free and being pregnant? My DR gave me prenatal that was good at absorbing folic acid-- but otherwise no special instructions.[/b]
I wanted to jump in here for a moment and say that my husband is also celiac/gluten intolerant. Thankfully my kids are not. DH joined celiac.com and they give him constant updates on new products that are gluten free. Unlike most celiac's, he cant have anything except for Corn, rice and tapioca. Some things I like to whip up for him are gluten free chili, a little bit of white rice (to add more texture to it) and cheese, sour cream and fry up some corn tortilla's. He loves making pizza out of the corn tortilla's as well. If you can get over the bitter taste (I think it has a bitter taste) then Im sure you will be fine! Pretty much anything I make that requires noodles, I substitute for rice. Some times I make mixed veggies, add some butter, TINY bit of salt and some Parmesan cheese, and heat untill everything is melted and its soooo good. Dorito's (he's only tried a few flavors, cool ranch being one of them) and Cheeto's are ok for him to eat (meaning he never breaks out from eating them, even thought they dont say gluten free) But really, try that website out - there is also another website that has a list of gluten free foods that are normal every day foods, but dont say GF on them. like with the dorrito's, they have MSG in them, but for some reason its not the same MSG that DH is allergic to.

Let me know if you need more food options and more info on the websites that DH has somewhere (that Im not finding at the moment, sorry!) Hope Ive helped!!!

~Beth

ETA: I don't see a problem eating GF while pregnant, just make sure your protein and calcium intake are where they need to be!!!
April 19th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I was diagnosed with celiac when I was pregnant. I sure wish I had taken vitamin D back then. At least I take it now; people with celiac can tend to be super deficient in this important vitamin.

Anyway, good luck. I see this thread is kinda old and hoping it all worked out for you :-)
May 21st, 2009, 05:27 AM
Xx5Xy1+'s Avatar What's your superpower?
More and more grocery stores are begining to carry gluten free items (Even Kroger and Walmart) you just have to look. Sometimes they will be in with the rest of the foods of that type, sometimes they will be in a "Speciality" area. If you go to cealic.com they can give you tips for identifying gluten free products.

As a personal FYI from a mom of 2 cealics, the BEST pasta we've found by far is Bionatura (they make organic adn gluten free, so make sure you're picking up the gluten free). It tastes so much like regular pasta, where as some taste like boiled cardboard lol. You do have to be careful cooking it as its not very forgiving... even a minute or two too long and it will begin to turn to mush.

If you ever need suggestions (or book recomendations) feel free to pm me. "Wheat Free, Worry Free" is the first book I read on celiac and it had a LOT of info... there are even gluten free cook books now and after a while you'll start to figure out how to modify regular recipies to make them gluten free (like meatloaf). You'll figure out what substitutions you like and which ones you don't (I prefer to use instant mashed potatoes instead of bread crumbs for meat loaf, etc). The cook books we have are called 'The Gluten Free Gormet'... they tend to call for specific flours (like potatoe flour, rice flour, etc) but if you compare it to a regular recipe and have gluten free baking mix, you can make just about anythign you want (pasta, biscuits, pancakes, cake, cookies, etc).

Thank you 3Daughters for my AWESOME siggy!

Hoping to add a new member to our family through adoption in August 2011
~*~
I am a sleep deprived, pro-life, homebirth supporting, babywearing, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, non-vaxing, attachment parenting, conservative thinking, Constitution defending, gun owning, Torah learning, US Army Veteran who is married to her hero... A US Army Soldier! If this offends you, then stop reading my signature!
March 14th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Celena's Avatar Proud JM hostess
Send a message via ICQ to Celena Send a message via MSN to Celena Send a message via Yahoo to Celena Send a message via Skype™ to Celena
Here is some information that I have found on the internet that you might find helpful....

In pregnancy, innocuous symptoms like trouble conceiving or multiple miscarriages may signal the need to test for celiac disease. Unexplained infertility could mean undiagnosed celiac.

Disease in pregnancy needn't be worrisome in this particular case. Your doctor will likely tell you that once you're on a strict gluten free diet your chances of miscarrying drop to those of any other woman.

Allow time for your body to recover before trying to conceive again. Perhaps wait six months to a year after a positive diagnosis of celiac disease for, in pregnancy, your body will need to absorb all the nutrients it requires.

Pregnancy and the gluten free diet
An important nutrient that is essential during the first weeks of pregnancy is folic acid. In a normal diet this is present in enriched breads, pastas, and breakfast cereals. On a gluten free diet it can be necessary to supplement your diet with folic acid tablets or capsules instead for at least 3 months before you begin trying to conceive.

Folic acid is essential for your unborn child.

Without including it in your diet your growing fetus is at risk of neural tube defects. The neural tube becomes the spinal cord and brain of your baby. The defects could range from mild to severe and they are caused by incomplete development of the brain or spinal cord.

One of the most common neural tube defects is Spina Bifida, which happens when the spine fails to close properly early in the pregnancy. The consequences of this include paralysis or hydrocephalus (water on the brain).

In addition to folic acid, iron and calcium are also important nutrients that need to be included in your diet. Calcium can be found in milk, cheese and oily fish and egg yolks. Avoid soft boiled or raw eggs whilst you are pregnant.

While coping with celiac disease in pregnancy you should eat as healthily as possible. Although you need an adequate supply of iron it is recommended not to eat liver (or liver pate) during pregnancy. You can get plenty of iron (and folic acid) in green leafy vegetables such as spinach.

Even if you normally have loose bowel movements, constipation can be a problem during pregnancy so try to include plenty of fibre in your diet. Fruit (fresh and dried), vegetables and whole grains such as brown rice or buckwheat can help provide fibre to keep you regular.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search