Celiac anyone?

Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
My husband has Celiac. I have a 7 month old and at 9 and 7 year old. What is the best way to test? The blood test? How accurate is that?
October 13th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I would start with the genetic test since celiac can develop at any point in life. If your children don't have the gene, then they cannot develop it. If they do carry the gene - it doesn't mean that they have celiac, just that they can get it at some point in their life. If the genetic test is positive then I would have a blood panel done to see if a scope is necessary - you have to be scoped in most cases to get a dx. You do have to be consuming gluten for the blood panel to be accurate (not for the genetic test though).

My son has celiac and we have a gluten free household. It is hard on kids, especially when friends bring in treats to school, but my son does really well with it.

Kathi
January 6th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have some questions about celiac too. I think I may have it. I have many symptoms and I have been diagnosed as lactose intollerant and with IBS and anemia. I think these all could possibly be because I have a gluten intollerance. Another strage thing is that when I was pregnant my blood work came back as positive for an autoimmune disorder but they didn't test further to see what it was. They just said it was strange but nothing to be concerned about. WDYT?
January 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, this forum is kinda dead
January 17th, 2010, 03:59 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello guys. The TTC and Mommies forums get a lot more traffic than the Health board forums.

I was diagnosed 3 years ago after 10 years of symptoms. Genetic testing is a good place to start with your kids. If they are exhibiting symptoms (and symptoms in Children can be very different than adults), I would recommend biopsy testing. The longer you have the active autoimmune disorder untreated, the more damage is being done. I developed hashimoto and am currently under going testing for Type I diabetes and I believe it is because I ate gluten for so many years.

One of the best sources is celiac.com - there are very active forums. Also, feel free to PM anytime if you have more questions. I don't come to this forum often, but am on JM daily.

Kat.
January 18th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, I just started the gluten free diet today. I'm starting out with the obvious forms of gluten and then I will work towards being more strict. It's scary to think that I could have Celiac and not know it and there is no way for me to get tested in the near future so I'm just trying the diet to see if I improve. I'm thinking about bringing it up to my daughters pedi but I'm going to wait until I see if this diet helps me feel better or not. If it does I'm going to just tell her pedi that I have celiac and ask him to run the test on her to find out if she has it. I just want to be safe. I hope your tests come back negative for diabetes, good luck :hugs:
January 19th, 2010, 08:26 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Adrienne,

In 2001, when I was so sick and searching on the internet - I came across Celiac and decided that it was too scary - no way that is what is wrong with me. Guess what - It is Celiac and my maternal uncle has also been diagnosed since then.

The easiest way to start with the diet is naturally gluten free - meats, vegetables, fruits, rice. Most people also feel better going dairy free at first also, since the very tips of the villi are used to digest dairy.

If you ever feel that you will want a positive test in the future, I recommend you do it now because you will have to go back on gluten. You don't need a test though if you are OK with diet response. I have found that all of my current doctors are very accepting of my diagnosis from a previous doc and don't even ask for the test results. when they ask if I am under the care of a Gastro, I am honest - nope -he fired me b/c the only way to treat it is diet and I am compliant.

Good luck.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search