How long??

Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2011, 03:09 PM
rageybug's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long did it take you to get diagnosed with your autoimmune disease?
July 10th, 2011, 02:56 PM
amberjolie's Avatar Super Mommy
That's a tricky one...I have always had fatigue issues since I was a teenager, so I don't know if I had this then and it just wasn't diagnosed or not. If that is the case, then it was a good 15 years.

If I go from when I got terrible ulcers on my fingers until a diagnosis of CREST, that would be about 8 months or so. Then I was diagnosed with Sjogren's about 4 months after that. But then the rhematologist finally settled on a diagnosis of primary Sjogren's instead of CREST (although I'm wondering if I do have CREST as well after all), which was about 15 or so months from the ulcers.

Oh, and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which is auto-immune, before I even had any symptoms for that, about 4 1/2 years ago.

So I guess I really can't say how long it took to diagnose in my case, or even if I'm fully diagnosed yet, because it wasn't so clear cut.

That didn't really answer your question, did it?

July 12th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Super Mommy
My autoimmune kidney disease was diagnosed pretty quickly with a biopsy. So only 2 months. However, even though the biopsy showed lupus nephritis, they didn't diagnose that until 5 years later.

*Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*
July 22nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
I've had issues since I was a teen and before that as a child. Lots of fevers, always sick. Always on antibiotics. I was struck down with Mono at the age of 13 and it took months to recover. I don't feel I was 'right' for a long time after that. The disease was causing scar tissue in my uterus and I didn't have a laparoscopy done to remove it until I was 22. So a long time coming for that.

I didn't get formally diagnosed with TRAPS until 2009. I've since had it taken away and then given back. My gene tests were negative, but they only tested for 3 altered genes, not the entire spectrum of the disease.

I've read most women don't receive a diagnosis until 5 to 7 years after the initially seek medical assistance.

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.
August 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Celena's Avatar Proud JM hostess
Send a message via ICQ to Celena Send a message via MSN to Celena Send a message via Yahoo to Celena Send a message via Skype™ to Celena
I would hace to agree because I've been in pain in my joints and have issues since I was an early teen, but I had this crazy bad flare where I couldn't even get out of bed because I was in so much pain. That was in 07 I believe, it's been a while... it didn't take long for that dr to throw me into a FM dx without testing further which has now screwed me for the rest of my life with that health & life ins are ridiculously high.

Years before that in 2003 the dr in WA dx me with u/c because of a flare I was going thru with that. And I'm having a bad bout right now too.

October 22nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
Interesting - I am just beginning the start of figuring out what is up with me. I hope it doesn't take years!
October 23rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Crohn's Disease here....my first symptom was bleeding. I went to a doctor within a month, got referred to a GI within another month, but it took a lot of exams and a couple colonoscopies before a definite diagnosis came. I'd say it was close to a year and a half.
November 17th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~~MaRiE~~
Mine was around 6 months or so to be diagnosed with arthritus
December 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM
~.Sally.~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
About two months to be diagnosed with Crohns disease, started with major symptoms mid to late June 2010, diagnosis by colonoscopy and biopsy end of August 2010.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search