Lupus and early m/c? (Long story)

Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By peace.love.audrey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2013, 02:16 AM
Danielle80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have searched online and I can find a correlation between lupus and 2nd trimester m/c's but not early m/c's. Have any of you heard of or are someone who has lupus and has had multiple early m/c's?

I had 4 fairly healthy pregnancies and 4 wonderful births. I got pregnant the first time with each and had never experienced a m/c.. Until August. My DH had just gotten back from another deployment ( in July) and we decided to try for our 5th and final baby. I had a colonoscopy scheduled due to IBS and they did a urine preg test, that was negative. I did a home test and when my period was late a few days later I tested and got a positive. ( that was a Friday) and I tested sat with another 2 tests with strong lines.. On Sunday however when I tested the line was lighter. I went to my PCP and did a urine test which came up pos. I tested at home wed and the line was much lighter. On Thursday I woke up to spotting and called the OB clinic. They had me do a blood test and come in. My hcg was 7. It was a m/c and by the next Monday when I came in for another hcg my level was 0. The bleeding lasted about a week and they said to look at it like a period. So I did! I did opk's to determine O date and we tried again. Once again I did get pregnant. I got the faintest of all positives on 9dpo. They continued to get darker and then the dreaded digi with weeks estimator. It said 2-3 weeks and would not change. I knew something was wrong. I called the dr. I went in. I was 6 wks exactly. They did an hcg and an u/s. There was a sac measuring 5 wks 1 day (which I knew wasn't right I had used opks and for a pos so early)and my hcg was 900. They said to wait until Monday and come back for another draw. On Monday I started spotting. I went in and my hcg was 400.
Another one?!?

The dr who knows nothing about lupus said he thinks my lupus is attacking the babies. My rhuematologist says no. That isn't it. But no one can tell me what happened. Just looking for answers. Sorry for the rambling.

Thanks

October 27th, 2013, 01:14 AM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
My only knowledge is that Lupus can be associated with Antiphospholipid Syndrome. I have primary APS so I have it without any associated autoimmue disorder. Anywho....I have had 3 first trimester losses and they have said it is due to my APS. I am currently pregnant and have to use lovenox and aspirin as soon as I find out I am pregnant to try to prevent miscarriage. I think in your case, it's definitely worth looking in to. You can PM me if you have any questions.

Good Luck!
Danielle80 likes this.

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
Don't believe in God? You're not alone!
October 29th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Danielle80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My rheumatologist tested me last year (Nov 2012) and I was negative for antiphospholipids. He said I didn't need to be tested again. My PCM has no idea and the ob's don't want to see me anymore because I am not pregnant. I am so confused. Thank you so much for even answering this! Oh and how are the lovenox shots? They have already thrown that around because I have a past TIA.

November 19th, 2013, 08:34 PM
mrsgarcia33's Avatar Veteran
Lupus does not attack babies. All the research I have done just states "miscarriages" -- not mid-term or early stage or whatever. Miscarriages are fairly common so it may not even be due to the lupus/

I have lupus and am pregnant with pregnancy #3.. my first one I ended up with pre eclampsia and they had to take her out at 24 weeks. she did not make it.

My second pregnancy was very healthy and my 4 1/2 year old is perfect!

This is my third pregnancy and I am only 4 weeks but I have been in remission for about 4 years now and my docs said I have a very good chance of a normal pregnancy.

I think you should try again! Don't lose hope!

November 22nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
Well you know we have similar issues and I keep going back to the Johns Hopkins site where they have an actual lupus clinic which includes pregnancy care. It does mention early miscarriage but does not give specifics. Wish I had more info, too.

http://www.hopkinslupus.org/lupus-in...pus-pregnancy/

Heidi, mama to 5 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search