Blood test result

Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2007, 08:08 AM
texasmomof2
So my rheumy's office called on Friday to give me my blood test results and told me that everything is normal, except that my BLOOD SUGAR was high!! What the crap? She tells me I am underweight, but I am borderline diabetic. Does that even make sense? The only thing I could think of was that one of the injections I take is a chemo medicine, and I remember when my mom took chemo, she turned diabetic. So I asked them what to do about it, and they told me to cut down on my carb intake. Eat higher protein, more veggies and fruits, and a lot less carbs. That should be easy for me. I can cut out pasta and bread pretty easily. I did a combination Atkins/South Beach Diet for a while a couple of years ago and I don't mind cutting out carbs.

I just think it's weird that I would be underweight, but have high blood sugar. Thoughts?????
February 26th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
Quote:
So my rheumy's office called on Friday to give me my blood test results and told me that everything is normal, except that my BLOOD SUGAR was high!! What the crap? She tells me I am underweight, but I am borderline diabetic. Does that even make sense? The only thing I could think of was that one of the injections I take is a chemo medicine, and I remember when my mom took chemo, she turned diabetic. So I asked them what to do about it, and they told me to cut down on my carb intake. Eat higher protein, more veggies and fruits, and a lot less carbs. That should be easy for me. I can cut out pasta and bread pretty easily. I did a combination Atkins/South Beach Diet for a while a couple of years ago and I don't mind cutting out carbs.

I just think it's weird that I would be underweight, but have high blood sugar. Thoughts?????[/b]
correct me if I'm real wrong here ... but if you cut down your carb intake won't that make you even MORE underweight????? <<<< very confused Lisa!

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
February 26th, 2007, 08:35 AM
texasmomof2
Quote:
Quote:

I just think it's weird that I would be underweight, but have high blood sugar. Thoughts?????[/b]
correct me if I'm real wrong here ... but if you cut down your carb intake won't that make you even MORE underweight????? <<<< very confused Lisa!

xxx Lisa xxx
[/b]

That's what I thought, too (which would be fine with me! I think I'm still too fat and want to lose about 10 more pounds-it's that whole anorexic mindset) But she said if I supplement with more protein and drink protein shakes, it will actually help me GAIN weight. (Yeah right-like I'm gonna do that!)
February 26th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
A good drink for weight gain is BOOST...taste pretty good too. I drank quite a bit back when I was first dx with UC because I wasnt able to eat.

I dont really know much about blood sugar...but I know it must be scary to hear that you are borderline! My Goodness!!!

Do you have a follow up appointment anytime soon? I think you need more info...thats a big deal,kwim?

</div>

</blockquote>
February 26th, 2007, 06:42 PM
stormy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to stormy Send a message via Yahoo to stormy
Got questions about high blood sugar and diabetes ask me....My husband is type 2 diabetic.
February 27th, 2007, 02:19 PM
texasmomof2
Quote:
Got questions about high blood sugar and diabetes ask me....My husband is type 2 diabetic.[/b]
Thanks, hon. I don't really think it was anything to worry about. It wasn't a fasting blood test. I go back in on April 4th first thing in the morning to have a fasting blood test done. I don't really think they can tell too much unless you have been fasting before they do it. So I will lay off the carbs a little for now, and see where it goes when they do the next test.
February 27th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah the fasting test is much more accurate. My Mom is type 2 diabetic as well.

I hope everything is OK with your next set of blood work.
February 28th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

xxx Lisa xxx
[/b]

That's what I thought, too (which would be fine with me! I think I'm still too fat and want to lose about 10 more pounds-it's that whole anorexic mindset) But she said if I supplement with more protein and drink protein shakes, it will actually help me GAIN weight. (Yeah right-like I'm gonna do that!)
[/b]
yeah the protein shakes like boost etc are good as long as you DO drink them ... also ... I guess it depends on which carbs you stay away from ... guess you could stay on bread and potatoes (that shouldn't affect your blood sugar)

ALSO MISSY ..... and this is where I'm being VERY firm ... you ARE aware and I mean VERY aware that you have the whole anorexic mindset so FIGHT IT .... you do NOT need to lose weight .... don't think of it as putting on ... just think of it as taking care of yourself k?

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search