had my first cop[axone injection this morning

Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2007, 09:07 AM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
The copaxone nurse came this morning at 9am...she just left five minutes ago. She explained everything and had me practice into a syringe practice tub thing. I practiced,Joe and my Mom also practiced. I will be doing my injections in the mornings...to start my day off and then not to have to think about it the rest of the day.

My first injection site was in my left upper arm. I will need to switch to a different injection site everyday...I have seven injection sites I can use.

It took me a few breathers before injection,and I did it myself(so proud!) Because of my fair complexion,the nurse said that it was probaly going to burn and itch...and yes,it does. But it's not too bad. I'll be able to handle this....at least after my first injection I think I may. But like she said...a week may go by and all of a sudden I freak out and wont do it. She said this is NORMAL part of grieving and to call shared solutions to have a nurse walk me through it again...she said she would also come back out anytime I needed her.

So...just wanted to share in case anyone wondered.

</div>

</blockquote>
March 22nd, 2007, 08:57 AM
texasmomof2
I'm glad you got through it! Wow-7 different site to use. That's cool. I can only do either my stomach or one of my upper thighs. But I only do mine once a week, too. Yours is every day, right??

If you ever need help, call me. I've been giving myself injections for about 2 years now. And there are times I don't want to do it, either, but I know I have to in order to stay well.
March 22nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
Thanks Janetta!

Yup...7 sites. I get both left and right upper arm. Left and right upper thigh. Fatty area by hips,left and right. and my tummy-minus 2 inches from my belly button.

I cant use the same site more then once a week and even when I go back to that area,I have to go into a different spot dso I dont mess up my skin.

The nurse aid that because I have to take this forever,I dont want to make my skin "thick" and not usable for therapy.

Topdsay I made myself bleed freak me out a bit. I think it was just to cold still because it had only been out like 15 minutes. I took another out now,for in the morning(they can be out at room temp for up to 7 days). Ouch! It really hurt.

Nervous about tomorrow. Mostly because I have to pivck a harder spot. The arms were "cake"...but wow...my thighs,tummy,hips...I'm nervous about that!!

</div>

</blockquote>
March 23rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
texasmomof2
Quote:
Thanks Janetta!

Yup...7 sites. I get both left and right upper arm. Left and right upper thigh. Fatty area by hips,left and right. and my tummy-minus 2 inches from my belly button.

I cant use the same site more then once a week and even when I go back to that area,I have to go into a different spot dso I dont mess up my skin.

The nurse aid that because I have to take this forever,I dont want to make my skin "thick" and not usable for therapy.

Topdsay I made myself bleed freak me out a bit. I think it was just to cold still because it had only been out like 15 minutes. I took another out now,for in the morning(they can be out at room temp for up to 7 days). Ouch! It really hurt.

Nervous about tomorrow. Mostly because I have to pivck a harder spot. The arms were "cake"...but wow...my thighs,tummy,hips...I'm nervous about that!![/b]
LOVE your new siggy!!

To me, the stomach is actually the easiest and least painful place to give it. I always have to rotate areas, too and not use the same injection spot as before and vary it around. I'm about the start doing a 2nd injection again, so I'll be doing mine twice a week now. (But still not every day.)

I really hope that you start to feel the benefit soon. Once you see the benefit, maybe it will outweigh the pain.
March 23rd, 2007, 05:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad you can do it. I'm not sure if I could do it myself. My sister works in a hospital so she gets one of the nurses to giver her a shot every day she's at work She wasn't totally comfortable with doing it herself. I really hope you notice an improvement with it. Like I told you before my sister has been pretty happy with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search