Tips on dealing with pain and a baby!

Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Becca's_Mommy's Avatar Becca's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Becca's_Mommy Send a message via MSN to Becca's_Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Becca's_Mommy
I am having a hard time caring for Becca lately. I feel like a failure as a mom! I can't even give her a bath, her daddy has too. Actually he is going to be gone overnight this weekend and I am going to my moms b/c I can't take care of her by myself! That is hard to deal with! How do you deal? What do I do? I feel guilty, and I know I shouldn't... but I do, how can I not? I can't play on the floor to well with her either which is a must with a 7 month old... I have to have support to lean against, like the couch or a wall which is not always available.

Any ideas? Anyone else have a similar issue, like RA or something?? I am desperate here...

April 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM
texasmomof2
Aw, hon. Our diseases are very similar. (read my reply to your "Can I join you" post below) I wasn't diagnosed until after my kids were a little older, but after the diagnosis it was like DOH-no wonder I felt so bad for so long!

Gosh, I can't even remember when my kiddos were that little! LOL I remember lying down on a body pillow in the floor, because then the hardness of the floor didn't hurt as much. I also had a chair or stool or something close by to help me get back up! (Now I just make one of my kids help me get up, but this was before they were old enough to help me!)

What type of pain meds do you take? Do they help at all? Are you seeing a rheumatologist?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious. I would think they could give you something to help with the stiffness and pain so that you can take care of your little one.

You don't live too far from me! I'm in the Dallas/FW area!!
April 19th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to Becca's_Mommy Send a message via MSN to Becca's_Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Becca's_Mommy
I am on pain meds, 10 mg lortabs and a muscle relaxer (can only take the muscle relaxer if I am not doing anything)
I also take Naproxen (most other NSAID's make me sick) and prednisone as needed, but I hate the prednisone!
I go back to the rheumatologist in June. See I went and was diagnosed in Dec of 05. It was easy to diagnose bc my dad has AS. Then I got pregnant in Jan of 06 and never went back b/c my hormones seemed to make it better. But about 3 months ago it came back even worse and has just gotten worse and worse and worse.
What are you on? Do you work?
You are close! Maybe we will have to get together sometime!!

April 19th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
I had a really bad flare of my MS(but I wasnt dx until nearly 4 yrs later) back when Emily was right around 12 mos old. I could barely walk,and when I did...I was in extreme pain/weakness. I used to just sit and cry because I couldnt play with her. But I found other things I COULD do. Like teach her things...we would read book after book and color something fierce!! She knew how to spell her name and the entire alphabet by her second birthday...maybe my being ill wasnt THAT terrible for her after all. To be honest...Daddy gives the kids a bath nearly every night. I used to feel awful because I wasnt doing it(I DO take them in the shower with me sometimes). But what I started to notice was this was an excellant time for bonding between Daddy and the kids. They play and splash and Daddy tells them stories. This is THEIR time and they love it!! So...instead of thinking about what you cannot do...try thinking of the things you CAN do....and you will see that you are a great Mommy! Maybe not a typical Mommy...and thats OK...thats what I explain to my oldest..."everyone is different and special...if God made us all the same,this Earth would be boring"...I have always told her that...she is older,I understand. But I have told her this from day one(even before my being diagnosed with anything).

Maybe you can bring her into bed with you...lots of pillows and just snuggle,and tell stories. Your daughter will remember that even in pain,you tried your best. And that is what really matters

</div>

</blockquote>
April 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM
texasmomof2
Colee, you always have such great ideas.

I agree with the lying in bed and reading together or just snuggling. You don't necessarily have to get down on the floor to play with her.

As far as my meds, I take more than I care to. LOL For the arthritis part, I take Celebrex and a shot called Enbrel. (the shot has helped tremendously!) I refuse to take Prednisone. I have SERIOUS issues when something makes me gain weight. (You'll learn all kinds of fun stuff about me as you stick around the board-LOL)

Good luck, honey! And I'd love to try to meet up with you someday! I always like to meet online friends IRL!
April 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
OMG! Prednisone...Grrrr Dont get me started! Urgh...okay,you twisted my arm! I HATE it!! The stuff just stinks! Miracle drug is what I have heard the Dr's say...yeah right! More like Junk! I lost 25lbs...soooo needed...and then they put me BACK on that junk! Gained it all back so far except 6lbs Not to mention,hair loss...my goodness...glad I started with thicker hair! It affects my mood really bad too...my therapist believes that it has caused a medically induced bi-polar and has put me on mood stabilzer-lamactal(sp?)

Oh and did I mention I HATE Prednisone?? LOL

</div>

</blockquote>
April 19th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Quote:
OMG! Prednisone...Grrrr Dont get me started! Urgh...okay,you twisted my arm! I HATE it!! The stuff just stinks! Miracle drug is what I have heard the Dr's say...yeah right! More like Junk! I lost 25lbs...soooo needed...and then they put me BACK on that junk! Gained it all back so far except 6lbs Not to mention,hair loss...my goodness...glad I started with thicker hair! It affects my mood really bad too...my therapist believes that it has caused a medically induced bi-polar and has put me on mood stabilzer-lamactal(sp?)

Oh and did I mention I HATE Prednisone?? LOL[/b]

Wow I didn't know that (well I knew it made you gain weight...) but the hair and bipolar thing. My dad took it for along time and it made him really pissed all the time so my mom made him stop, but I didn't know bipolar. Which is funny (or not) b/c dh has been saying I have been acting bipolar! I also have been losing my hair but I was before that to b/c I was told you lose your hair after you have a baby. So I dunno on that...

Thanks for the advise girls!

April 20th, 2007, 07:35 AM
texasmomof2
You're welcome!

Prednisone SUCKS! I hate it!! It made me feel psychotic and I thought I was losing my mind. I couldn't sleep, I gained weight, and lost my hair.....I refuse to take it, and my rheumy knows it. (She tries to get me to, but I won't) There are WAY too many other drugs out there, so unless I'm just doing a 7 day taper because I really feel like crap, I won't do it.

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search