Log In Sign Up

Looking for help


Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
April 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Heidi77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 1,748
Hi ladies, I hope you don't mind me posting here! If I should be posting on a different board, please feel free to tell me. I'm just going through a rough time with my health right now and looking for answers and help. I can't get in to see my family doctor for two weeks.

For the past 6 weeks, I've been having what I call "flareups" (flareups of what, I have no idea!) at least once per week and they're getting more frequent. It always starts in the evening. First I get violent chills (shivering to the point I can barely stand up, but no fever), and then a short while after that, the abdominal cramping and diarrhea start. The episodes last a few hours and then the diarrhea slows down and eventually stops. The cramping in my lower abdomen (worse on my right side where my appendix would be if I still had it) goes on for days. I have mild nausea with the flareups but no vomiting. In the last week or so, the pain has not gone away in between the flareups. It's pretty constant now.

Now that you know way more about me than you ever in a million years wanted to know (this is so embarassing!), I'm just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone, and if there's anything I might be able to do to improve how I feel while I wait to get in with my family doctor. At first I thought it might be IBS, but when I got to reading about it, it says that if the bulk of the symptoms happen at night, it's usually not IBS. At this point I don't really care WHAT it is, I just want to start feeling better.

Can anyone help me?
__________________

Awesome siggy by Meganpixel


Reply With Quote
  #2  
April 28th, 2007, 04:36 PM
stormy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Alabama
Posts: 3,855
Send a message via AIM to stormy Send a message via Yahoo to stormy
First I am not a doctor but I do suffer from IBD/crohn's disease. My flare ups happen all of the time. It doesn't matter what time of day it is. It can be night or day. I usually suffer from the diarhea but when I was first diagnose with crohns I did vomit with my flareups.

I would call your family doctor back and tell them it is an emergency and you need to get in right away. Something is not right if you are having illness like this honey.

Are you have bloody stools? Are you throwing up blood, bile, etc? Are you eating and then getting sick like this?

Please feel free to post anything you want here. Grossiness or tmi will not bother us. We understand and have posted stuff here similar to your post. Let me know how you are.
__________________
<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote
  #3  
April 28th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Heidi77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 1,748
Thank you so much for your reply... I was hesitant to post here since I haven't been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, but I didn't know where else to post. It's not like it's dinner table talk, kwim?

I haven't been vomiting at all, thank God, and no bloody stools. I feel better when I don't eat much, I guess because my bowels have a chance to rest a bit. It's getting so that I"m afraid to eat anything for fear it's going to make me ill. Weight loss isn't a "problem" for me as I have a lot to lose anyway, but that's certainly not the way I want to do it.

I'm going to call my dr. on Monday to see when she can squeeze me in.
__________________

Awesome siggy by Meganpixel


Reply With Quote
  #4  
April 28th, 2007, 06:36 PM
stormy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Alabama
Posts: 3,855
Send a message via AIM to stormy Send a message via Yahoo to stormy
Please feel free to post here. We are here to help and try to help each other along the way. There are several of us who have stomach issues here and we all know how it is.

I am one that will not go out at times because I fear that I might not make it to a public bathroom. I have been known to pull over on the side of the road and go if needed. I keep toilet paper in the back of trunk. It is just part of living with IBD. And the pain associated with it is unbearable. Especially when people don't understand because you look perfectly healthy. I look healthy from first glimspe. People are starting to notice that I limp at times because of my arthritis. But overall I look like a plump little person.

I hope you find an answer. Don't be upset when they run tons of test to find out what is wrong. I had to have test that I will not even begin to mention right now to diagnose what I had and they still didn't hit it on the dot immediately. It took months for it to be diagnose as crohn's. I heard the flu, the stomach bug, allergies, nervous stomach, etc. I think the red flag was when the blood started and I was vomiting nonstop. Oh and the time I went into shock before my diagnose. That could had been a red flag also. Also if you don't feel comfortable with a doctor get a second opinion. More than likely your family doctor is going to want to run test or send you to a GI. I have been to many GI and finding one that you feel comfortable with can be difficult. Especially when they get to the see the other end. Sorry for the little pun there. Hey you have to look on the funny side of this or it will make you sick.

Hang in there.

Shelley.


A little about me. I am co-host of the forum. I have had problems with my stomach all of my life but doctor's wrote it off as many things. When I was 21 I was diagnose with crohn's disease. I am now 37. I was recently diagnose with arithritis related to the crohns and am in the process of going to a specialist for that. I am a mom of three girls and two angels in heaven. Despite my illness I have to keep going. My girls know that someday mommy might not feel good but on the days I feel great we take full advantage of it.
__________________
<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote
  #5  
April 30th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Heidi77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 1,748
Well, I talked to my dr's office this morning and I have an appointment for Thursday morning. I'm afraid to eat... sticking to stuff I know doesn't bother me, which is basically BRAT and yogurt. My son and DH made me a birthday cake yesterday and I haven't touched it yet... I'm afraid to!

I'm fully expecting this to be a long, drawn out process, and hoping it winds up being something minor that's easily treated/cured. Cross your fingers! As nice as I'm sure you all are, I don't want to have to join you on this board!
__________________

Awesome siggy by Meganpixel


Reply With Quote
  #6  
April 30th, 2007, 08:05 AM
texasmomof2
Guest
Posts: n/a
Hi Heidi and welcome! Sorry for the late response. I am so glad they got you in for Thursday morning. And like Shelley said, there is no such thing as TMI here on this board. We all share some of the grossest stuff, but it's because we've all been through it, and by sharing it, we help each other.

I'm Janetta, and I have Lupus and basically what they are calling "Mixed connective tissue disease" which is a combination of other auto-immune disease related to the Lupus. Thankfully, I don't have the stomach issues like some of the other girls. I am also a bi-polar anorexic, which is something I am just now willing to admit.

Be ready for them to run all kinds of tests on you, and for the possibility for them to tell you its all in your head. Auto-immune diseases, although they have made great improvements in diagnosis and treatment over the years, are still very misunderstood and very hard to diagnose, so it may take a while.

Good luck, hon. And feel free to post here whenever you like. There are some girls that post here who don't have autoimmune disorders, they just love us that much!

Please keep us posted on how things are going for you, and let us know how the appt on Thursday goes.

(and belated happy birthday)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
May 1st, 2007, 07:23 AM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Posts: 16,731
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
Quote:
Hi ladies, I hope you don't mind me posting here! If I should be posting on a different board, please feel free to tell me. I'm just going through a rough time with my health right now and looking for answers and help. I can't get in to see my family doctor for two weeks.

For the past 6 weeks, I've been having what I call "flareups" (flareups of what, I have no idea!) at least once per week and they're getting more frequent. It always starts in the evening. First I get violent chills (shivering to the point I can barely stand up, but no fever), and then a short while after that, the abdominal cramping and diarrhea start. The episodes last a few hours and then the diarrhea slows down and eventually stops. The cramping in my lower abdomen (worse on my right side where my appendix would be if I still had it) goes on for days. I have mild nausea with the flareups but no vomiting. In the last week or so, the pain has not gone away in between the flareups. It's pretty constant now.

Now that you know way more about me than you ever in a million years wanted to know (this is so embarassing!), I'm just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone, and if there's anything I might be able to do to improve how I feel while I wait to get in with my family doctor. At first I thought it might be IBS, but when I got to reading about it, it says that if the bulk of the symptoms happen at night, it's usually not IBS. At this point I don't really care WHAT it is, I just want to start feeling better.

Can anyone help me?[/b]
Hi there
Welcome to the Auto Immune forum! Although I wish I could meet you on better circumstances Like Shelley,I also have IBD...but I have the other form of IBD-Ulcerative Colitis(UC). I have been told that UC is the lesser of the IBD and IF you MUST be dx with a form of IBD,UC is the one to get...yippee for me UC hangs out in the large intestine and rectum. When I was first getting sick,it started off like what you mentioned. Getting sick shortly after eating dinner...then it was after eating lunch,then breakfast...soon it was any time I would eat and before I knew it,I was weighing much less then I wanted to! At first it was the cramping and Diarrhea,then a couple monthes later the blood started. Thats when I FREAKED out and called a Dr. I was so scared,I thought I was dying. Once I got into my Dr he scheduled a Colonscopy for me. The scope itself is not that bad. It's the prep the day before. Once I had the scope,it was determined I have left sided moderate UC and severe inflammation in the rectum. I have been having flar up's *average* about 4 times a year....since 2002.

I promise,anything that is said here...is understood!! Auto immune diseases are so crazy and so confusing...you have to have support of friends. Feel free to ask ANY questions. Like Shelley said...testing will be alot. Even after I had my first scope,they ran more tests to make sure I didnt have Crones disease...they can mimic each other....so Dr's like to be 100% sure of your dx.

My internet has pooped,so I havent been able to get online in a few days...but we are hoping to get up and running this evening...

Hope you are feeling somewhat better,knowing you can get into the Dr's thursday.
__________________
Nichole,Mommy to Emily and Ryan
<div align="center"></div><blockquote><div align="center">

</div>







</blockquote>
Reply With Quote
  #8  
May 1st, 2007, 01:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 4,035
I don't have any stomach issues. Although diarrhea is a side effect of being hyperthyroid. Now that I'm hypothyroid the doctor said to be on the lookout for constipation.

Sorry I can't offer any help, but the ladies here are awesome. We can discuss anything freely, you won't be judged and should not feel embarassed at all.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
May 1st, 2007, 09:16 PM
stormy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Alabama
Posts: 3,855
Send a message via AIM to stormy Send a message via Yahoo to stormy
In the beginning they thought my crohn's was UC but with further test it was revealed that it was crohns instead of the UC. I hope you are feeling better. I will on and off this week.
__________________
<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote
  #10  
May 2nd, 2007, 03:19 AM
Heidi77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 1,748
Thanks so much everyone... I had another rotten night last night with everything starting up around 3AM... I have two small boys at home so when I'm up at 3AM, that means my day begins at 3AM and I don't get back to bed until after they're in bed at night. I'm exhausted and in pain. I'm dreading my appointment tomorrow because I'm worried she'll say there's nothing wrong with me and I won't assert myself (I'm very timid with doctors!).
__________________

Awesome siggy by Meganpixel


Reply With Quote
  #11  
May 2nd, 2007, 05:39 AM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Posts: 16,731
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
Quote:
Thanks so much everyone... I had another rotten night last night with everything starting up around 3AM... I have two small boys at home so when I'm up at 3AM, that means my day begins at 3AM and I don't get back to bed until after they're in bed at night. I'm exhausted and in pain. I'm dreading my appointment tomorrow because I'm worried she'll say there's nothing wrong with me and I won't assert myself (I'm very timid with doctors!).[/b]
I sooo know what you mean! If my daughter hears me up in the middle of the night,she would get right up and think it was time to start the day...makes for a looooong day! I feel terrible,I forget to introduce myself in my last post You'll get that from me from time to time...I'm Nichole,Mommy to Ryan(5-11-05) and Emily(9-15-01),been married to Joe for almost 7 yrs I was dx with UC in 2002 and then Multiple Sclerosis(MS) in August 2006. I am/was a very timid person when it came to Dr's too...even just talking to someone about my health problems. I have gotten better with that-as long as it's not a new Dr...LOL...You aree the only one that knows exactly what your feeling and experiencing. You know that what you are feeling isnt normal for YOU....dont let a Dr tell you how you are feeling...kwim? If they arent listening,make them listen. I know this is easier said then done...do you have someone supportive that can go with you to the Dr? I find it is easier to tell the Dr just how it is,when you have someone there already on your side.

I'm sorry you had such a crummy night I find mornings to be very bad for me...like my tummy got to much rest and reminds me of it in the AM. Keep us posted...I gotta get in the shower and get to the Dr office for blood work in an hour
__________________
Nichole,Mommy to Emily and Ryan
<div align="center"></div><blockquote><div align="center">

</div>







</blockquote>
Reply With Quote
  #12  
May 3rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
Heidi77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 1,748
My appointment today went well... she ordered a bunch of stat bloodwork and stool tests... we'll have the bloodwork results tomorrow, and I have to drop off my stool samples in the morning (FUN STUFF!). She also referred me to a surgeon because she wants to do a colonoscopy if necessary. She was concerned about the weight loss (10 lbs in 2 weeks - I told her that was the only GOOD thing about this! lol) which is why she's rushing things.

I am SO RELIEVED that she took me seriously. I'm fully expecting my bloodwork to all come back normal ... I forget everything she was checking... cbc, electrolytes, celiac, some sort of protein thing, blood sugar, thyroid, etc.... but at least the ball is rolling already.
__________________

Awesome siggy by Meganpixel


Reply With Quote
  #13  
May 3rd, 2007, 11:34 AM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Posts: 16,731
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
Quote:
My appointment today went well... she ordered a bunch of stat bloodwork and stool tests... we'll have the bloodwork results tomorrow, and I have to drop off my stool samples in the morning (FUN STUFF!). She also referred me to a surgeon because she wants to do a colonoscopy if necessary. She was concerned about the weight loss (10 lbs in 2 weeks - I told her that was the only GOOD thing about this! lol) which is why she's rushing things.

I am SO RELIEVED that she took me seriously. I'm fully expecting my bloodwork to all come back normal ... I forget everything she was checking... cbc, electrolytes, celiac, some sort of protein thing, blood sugar, thyroid, etc.... but at least the ball is rolling already.[/b]
I am soooo glad your appointment went well. It always feels better once someone takes you serious and is determined to figure things out!! Oh how I remember the stool samples My poor dh...LOL...after I "made" my samples,he is the one that took them up to the hospital for me por guy was so embarrassed

Keep us updated as you learn more
__________________
Nichole,Mommy to Emily and Ryan
<div align="center"></div><blockquote><div align="center">

</div>







</blockquote>
Reply With Quote
  #14  
May 5th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Heidi77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 1,748
Quote:
Oh how I remember the stool samples blink.gif My poor dh...LOL...after I "made" my samples,he is the one that took them up to the hospital for me laugh.gif por guy was so embarrassed[/b]
What's embarassing for me is that THREE women from my church work in the lab at the hospital. One of them is the head of CIU so she's always there, and the other two are technicians so they handle the samples. When I went to drop off my sample yesterday morning I was praying all the way there that so-and-so wouldn't be in... and guess who met me at the door to collect my sample??? I was SO embarassed.

I talked to the dr. yesterday and she said the tests that she's gotten back so far have all been normal. I figured as much. She'll call on Monday with the rest of the results. I've had a very bad week with constant pain... I've been in the bathroom all morning again today.
__________________

Awesome siggy by Meganpixel


Reply With Quote
  #15  
May 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Posts: 16,731
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Oh how I remember the stool samples blink.gif My poor dh...LOL...after I "made" my samples,he is the one that took them up to the hospital for me laugh.gif por guy was so embarrassed[/b]
What's embarassing for me is that THREE women from my church work in the lab at the hospital. One of them is the head of CIU so she's always there, and the other two are technicians so they handle the samples. When I went to drop off my sample yesterday morning I was praying all the way there that so-and-so wouldn't be in... and guess who met me at the door to collect my sample??? I was SO embarassed.

I talked to the dr. yesterday and she said the tests that she's gotten back so far have all been normal. I figured as much. She'll call on Monday with the rest of the results. I've had a very bad week with constant pain... I've been in the bathroom all morning again today.
[/b][/quote]

Oh hon I would have felt embarrassed too. Just remember,it's their job...and I'm sure they were nothing but professional about it. Although,I would feel exactly as you do/did.

I'm sorry your still in alot of pain...that is so hard. And then to not really know whats going on and trying to take care of things at home...I know it's hard. Do you think she will refer you to a GI specialist? I think you may want to request that if everything comes back 'normal' for your testing. A GI can do a scope and see what is going on inside.

Big (((HUGS))) I hope the pain lets up some for you...so you have a pleasant day and a good weekend
__________________
Nichole,Mommy to Emily and Ryan
<div align="center"></div><blockquote><div align="center">

</div>







</blockquote>
Reply With Quote
  #16  
May 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Heidi77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 1,748
She's already referred me to a surgeon who will be able to do the scope... I guess that's the route they take here? All of my test results are being forwarded to this doctor but I'm not sure when I'll hear from him.
__________________

Awesome siggy by Meganpixel


Reply With Quote
  #17  
May 5th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Posts: 16,731
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
I hope he gets ahold of you sooner,rather then later...so you dont have to wait for a long time,not feeling well
__________________
Nichole,Mommy to Emily and Ryan
<div align="center"></div><blockquote><div align="center">

</div>







</blockquote>
Reply With Quote
  #18  
May 8th, 2007, 10:13 AM
texasmomof2
Guest
Posts: n/a
Have you heard anything else on your blood tests results? I reemember having a colonoscopy done. The scope itself isn't bad, it's the prep the day before.

Gosh, keep us posted, but it sounds like your doc is being very thorough with everything. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
May 8th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Heidi77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 1,748
Still waiting to hear about the rest of the tests. I had a horrible day on Saturday and Sunday, but have been better again yesterday and today thank God! My pain is much less intense and the d has stopped for now (of course, so has everything ELSE! Sigh.).
__________________

Awesome siggy by Meganpixel


Reply With Quote
  #20  
May 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM
stormy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Alabama
Posts: 3,855
Send a message via AIM to stormy Send a message via Yahoo to stormy
Hope you are feeling better. Thinking of you!
__________________
<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0