FMLA

Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
Joe has had FMLA on and off for nearly five years. It goes in six month intervols,so if I am flaring or not doing well after the six monthes is up...then I have my Dr fill out the paper work AGAIN. My Dr thinks it's bolagna...I mean he clearly states this is a chronic condition..but he still has to fill out paperwork every six monthes.

Joe has worked for this company for nine years...nine stinkin' years! He started working there shortly after high school. He has never been in trouble,always goes to work...on time everyday. Yes,he has used FMLA alot this past year since I have been dx with MS. It's been a really hard year and like Joe says "family comes first"...Joe NEVER uses FMLA for personal use. If HE is sick(which he was last Monday,but otherwise VERY rare)then he calls off and take the occasion agaisnt his work record(only can get so many before they can ya). Even when Ryan was in rainbow this past winter...he didnt use FMLA-because it's for ME,not the kids.

So...every three monthes they get a work review. They are scored on a 1-10 basis. These work reviews are how they base the christmas bonus in December. His last 2 reviews have been a 10 out of 10. The rest of them(for as long as I can remember) have been a 8 out of 10 or a 9 out of 10. So he is a good worker,he has integrity,he helps others...he has trained others and been praised by the plant supervisor many times. He has been employee of the month and is considered a "moderator" of sort...because he is ALWAYS calm,clear headed and thinks.

Okay...so the part that ticks me off...I get a call this morning from my usually calm,collected husband and he is irrate! His supervisor called him aside and told him that he is talking to much and he is hindering others work performance. This is COMPLETE BS because I have known Joe for 11 years and this man certainly does NOT talk too much! Second:I know this is BS because he works in a small dept and he only works directly with three other people...two of these three people he rarely talks to because they try to force their beliefs on him(they make rude comments about "Joe's wife and kids that are Catholic")...so that leaves one person he *may be talking to. When his supervisor told him this Joe told him he didnt realize that this was an issue,that he didnt feel that he was excessively talking...but he would do better to correct any problems.

So then he calls me and is soooo angry! He KNOWS it's because of the FMLA and his boss is ticked off because his best worker has a sick wife,someone he cares about more then his job. His supervisor likes to sit back on his high horse and has work prayers teams praying for me while I was in the hospital...but now he is trying to find anything he can to get Joe in trouble???? Joe said he plans omn going above his supervisors head and talk with the plant supervisor...he feels VERY harassed and is feeling like his boss wants him out because there are times that Joe is unreliable because of ME being SICK. This is not only unfair...but against the law!

Anyhow...so this is my biggest worry...that Joe will lose his job,that he has worked at for nine years because of ME and my stupid health problems. We filed bankruptcy in 2004 because of my endless piles of medical bills...and of course because I cant work(didnt recieve SS benifits until 2005).

Just wondering if anyone else goes through this nonsense? What can we do to assure that joe wont lose his job? He is a great worker,a hard worker and an asset to this company. IF the Father still owned this business,this would NEVER be an issue...but since the son has taken over things are going down hill and fast. I guess he can always look for another job...but we live in a depressed state and our area is particualy depressed...jobs arent easy to come by and the one he works at now is considered the best job in our county...so anything he got from here would be a paycut...we struggle now as is...

</div>

</blockquote>
May 30th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had FMLA when I was pregnant, because I had a lot of complications. My BIL has it for my sister because of her MS.

To my knowledge they haven't given my BIL a problem. He works at the post office as well. We have unions that do a pretty good job of making sure we are protected, and not harassed for it. I wish I had something more encouraging to offer. I'm so sorry both of you have to go through this.
June 3rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
I am sorry too Your husband has every right to be upset.

It sounds like there was a good history with the Father of his new boss, but since there's no really personal history with the son, small things get taken advantage of. People might complain. In other words, people may not have complained about your husband to the original boss because it would have gotten them nowhere. Now they may complain for whatever biased reasons they think they have. This new boss is new fish and may not completely understand your husband's dedication to this job. Your health only makes things complicated in their eyes, but it shouldn't in real life. Your husband is only trying to take care of you and I believe there are laws against them firing him or harassing him just because of your health. He is protected by law and needs to look into those laws. If somethign were to come up, at least get a name of a civil rights lawyer that can advise you or even file suit to this company if something were to happen. Some lawyers don't charge unless they win something.

But that's getting ahead of things. Hopefully going over the new boss' head will help to clear things up.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
June 4th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Thanks for you replies ladies Joe never went to another supervisor...he just let it roll off his back after he called me. He is still upset...but this is just the way he is...very laid back and mellow. I guess now it bothers ME more them him?? I just hope if something like this is said again he speaks up...

</div>

</blockquote>
June 4th, 2007, 09:24 AM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Well, I guess it's up to him to do what he feels comfortable with. But I hope it doesn't keep on happening. If it gets worse, he should speak up. If not for his sake, but for yours too. Even my family is like that. Unless pushed, it's best to just keep things civil at the workplace and pick your battles wisely.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
June 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I think thats what he is doing...more then anything he is buying time until he gets an education(that they pay for) and then he can find a better job. He is hoping to start in tyhe Fall...but of course,that all depends on my health at the time. He wont do anything extra if I get sick I feel like such a burden at times..

</div>

</blockquote>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search