Cure for our diseases?

Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
I have mixed morals and beliefs about stem cell reasearch. Before becoming ill and being dx with two life altering chronic diseases,I was opposed to stem cell research. Now,I worry that my morals are off because I agree that it could cure us and give us our lives back. Anyway...this isnt for debate purposes...just wanted to share an article to get everyone thinking
http://www.curesforcalifornia.com/page.php?id=126

</div>

</blockquote>
July 8th, 2007, 08:02 AM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
It's shown some promise already, but it's also been fatal in some cases and it's too risky right now. They are working on finding a way to reduce that fatality risk though.

There was an episode on I think it was Grey's Anatomy or which eve Ricky Schroeder plays a doctor where a woman with RRMS insisted on stem cell replacement. Against her doctor's wishes, she still insisted. She was fine at the time, but she was afraid of what the disease could do to her in the future and she was an extreme person anyhow. She died due to the research treatment.

I know it's a scary disease. On another MS boards, some people there call it a MonSter. But, I wouldn't risk my life with a non-proven treatment on a disease that is far from ruining my life. It's a nuissance and even a pain. But my life isn't over.

Now, as far as do I believe in stem cell research? There are so many ways of getting the stem cells needed. The research is very valid in my opinion and can really do a lot of good for people with injuries and certain diseases such as MS, Parkinson's, etc...(the diseases in the article you posted for example). How the stem cells is collected these days is what's bringing on the moral issues. Some people don't agree with fertilizing an egg for the sole purpose of collecting stem cells, but there is a compromise there that's been discussed. People going through IVF often have unwanted frozen eggs that are in the perfect stage for stem cell research. If they don't use or donate those eggs, they get destroyed after a few years of sitting in a freezer (layman's terms). Why not add the option of donating those eggs to research if the owner of those eggs does not wish to donate them to another unfortunate sole that could use it or use them herself? At least, they'd be put to some use controversial to some or not. But instead of being destroyed, they could go towards science.

Another compromise being discussed is what about using the IVF eggs that only partially got fertilized but are not viable eggs. At least half of an egg that is partially fertilized is useful to science but alone it could never be a viable egg and produce a baby. That might be more agreeable to some people and less controversial.

There are still other ways of collecting stem cells that may not include and embryo or egg such as the umbilical cord at birth, but it's just a question of ease and getting as much available stem cells as possible to complete the research.

I'm for stem cell research, but I agree it's a delicate issue and needs to be treated with respect and understanding of people's sensitivities about it.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
July 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
Quote:
It's shown some promise already, but it's also been fatal in some cases and it's too risky right now.[/b]

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search