Posted this in the ADHD forum

Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
I have never talked about Emily's hyper behavior on JM before...I posted this this morning and hope someone can give me insight.

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=670179

</div>

</blockquote>
July 9th, 2007, 12:50 PM
stormy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to stormy Send a message via Yahoo to stormy
I have some background in ADD and ADHD. First what did her kindergarten teacher say? A lot of times they don't want to diagnose it in the school. Talk to her pedicatrician. There are forms that you can have her teachers, etc fill out that will help with a diagnose. Also I would talk to her 1st grade teacher and see what she thinks. It is very well that she could be ADD from what you were saying but she is also five years old. I will try to google some info on ADD and ADHD for you to read.

ADHD

ADHD from CDC

ADHD from CDC another page

ADD Tests...Not to be use for diagnose purposes

ADD and ADHD
July 9th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the links! I have only checked out one of the sites so far...figured I would take the parents test and see if we have any issue first...

There is a suspicion of ADD/ADHD for your child. You are encouraged to proceed with an evaluation by contacting your child's pediatrician, a psychologist, or the the school's guidance counselor.

^^^^thats my results. I am wondering where I should start? I dont want to medicate her,but I have heard of certain foods that can help...or foods that she shouldnt eat,etc. Her teacher never said anything about ADHD or ADD...just that Emily has a hard time concentrating,which is true. I have seen her in school and she cant sit down,literally. She always has a leg under her waiting to jump up and do something.

</div>

</blockquote>
July 9th, 2007, 05:31 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Girls ADHD is different than boys... which can be a GOOD thing, easier to handle. You could get her tested, but unless you plan on medication there really isn't a rush. It is important to check out the side-effects and positives of medication completely, obviously.

She might be, but if she is really bright, as she has always seemed to be, her brain just might be too quick for her, right now. I really have dealt with ADHD type behavior so much, that I am sometimes not sure what "normal" is.

An evaluation is simple, but sometimes so simple that one might wonder just how conclusive it is.

There are MANY things that you can do to help her increase her attention span and to help her in many different ways that have nothing to do with medication.

I know my son is far from perfect, but I have done SO MUCH without medication and now he is pretty close to normal in many ways, although his attention can be a little short, I MIGHT be able to give you some tips, maybe, if you want. He has really come so far, and I think there are SO MANY drug free options, whether your child has ADHD/ADD or not.

Well, good luck.

(I tend to offer advice a lot... I think because I studied Social Work on college and I have always loved to "help" so if I ever say too much, just send me a PM and tell me I am going overboard! (nicely) HUGS)

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
July 10th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I knew my son had ADHD when he was in pre-school. However his teachers told me he was just an "active" kid, nothing to worry about. He was finally diagnosed with ADHD in 4th grade. By that point I was happy that a teacher agreed with me. We tried going to non medication route, which unfortunately didn't work for us. However now when he takes his medicine he does much better in school. Deep down I'm hoping he outgrows it. He's 14 now.
July 10th, 2007, 06:05 AM
I have mentioned Emily being VERY active or a hyper child many times before to people...like some of her friends parents and they all tell me "oh she's just a kid,thats normal"...so I have heard that so much that I start to think it's normal. The thing that got me was visiting a friend this past weekned and he has/had ADHD as a child and he reconized the same actions from Emily. He mentioned it to us and to be honest it was great that finally someone said it,other then US.

Suzanne...I am very interested in what you have to offer as far as ideas for Emily. Her attention span,ect. You know I love ya! You dont over step bounds with me

</div>

</blockquote>
July 10th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Did you ladies know that the ADHD board is looking for a co-host?

</div>

</blockquote>
July 10th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We'd love to see all of you over on the ADHD board!!
July 10th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Well, Colee... someone seriously nailed me hard a couple of months ago in our playroom, for offering information (they PM'd me about it at least , mostly). SO, I try to be even more careful, because I know I like to give advice and some people don't want/need it.

ETA: I will see what I can come up with/remember and PM or post later.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

July 10th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Well, Colee... someone seriously nailed me hard a couple of months ago in our playroom, for offering information (they PM'd me about it at least , mostly). SO, I try to be even more careful, because I know I like to give advice and some people don't want/need it.

ETA: I will see what I can come up with/remember and PM or post later.[/b]
I know Hon,I have seen the way some have gotten over things. BUT,you dont have to worry about that from me. I take advice and if I cant put it to good use,I forget about it. I love that you have an opinion and you tell us! I respect that from people I look forward to your PM

</div>

</blockquote>
July 10th, 2007, 12:49 PM
texasmomof2
Just remember to be careful. My Emily was misdiagnosed with ADHD, and it turned out all along she is bipolar. I wouldn't just automatically accept the first diagnosis you get. Do your research into both diseases. I had found a website at one time that told the differences between the two. I'll have to see if I can find it again.
July 10th, 2007, 12:49 PM
texasmomof2
Just remember to be careful. My Emily was misdiagnosed with ADHD, and it turned out all along she is bipolar. I wouldn't just automatically accept the first diagnosis you get. Do your research into both diseases. I had found a website at one time that told the differences between the two. I'll have to see if I can find it again.
July 10th, 2007, 12:50 PM
texasmomof2
Well, I didn't mean to post that twice!! My computer was giving me a weird error message!
July 10th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Just remember to be careful. My Emily was misdiagnosed with ADHD, and it turned out all along she is bipolar. I wouldn't just automatically accept the first diagnosis you get. Do your research into both diseases. I had found a website at one time that told the differences between the two. I'll have to see if I can find it again.[/b]
You posted it twice because you were yelling at me Just kidding...LOL...I am being goofy today,dont mind me.

Thats a great point, Janetta! Especially with me being dx bipolar this past spring. I know mine was considered medicine induced...but really,who knows?? If you can find that website,that would be awesome! Thank you sooo much! I need to research both

</div>

</blockquote>
July 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM
texasmomof2
Here are a couple of different sites for you to check out. These were some of the things that made me realize that Emily was bipolar and not ADHD.

http://www.adhdnews.com/bipolar.htm

http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/guid...ipolar-disorder

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33450.asp
July 14th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I promised a couple of ideas, and I am swamped, but I don't want to leave this hanging over my vacation. So, a couple of ideas:

Play the frozen statue game. One person sits very still and doesn't move or make any facial expressions, the other person tries to make them laugh. Take turns. This helps a person to learn to keep in control of themselves.

When you talk to her, make sure that she is looking at you. Have her repeat back what you say to her to make sure that she understands. Then as time goes by she should learn to listen carefully the first time.

Make a list of what needs to be done. (good for when they start to read, or you can draw pictures) Like if it is cleaning her room, make a list of what you expect. Be specific. Clothes folded and put in drawers, trash thrown away, books in bookcase, toys in toybox... whatever you want done and think she can handle. Hang it in her room for easy reference. That way you both know what the expectations are.

Be consistant. (something I really struggle with)

Stay calm, if you want to flip out, just walk away and come back.

Keep in mind that highly intelligent children tend to be busier, their brain is working doubletime.

The recommendation for evaluation is no younger than 6 years old, for evaluation and medication, although a fair number of teachers and Dr. seem to forget these recommendations for some unknown reason.

Come up with a secret word or gesture for when she is getting out of control.

Watch for tiredness/overstimulation cues and remove her from the situation.

Some people suggest that morning exercise can seriously help children that are overactive/ADHD.

Make sure she gets enough Omega3. You can get these in nuts, flaxseeds/flaxseed oil(not to be heated!), special eggs, and fish, esp. coldwater fish like salmon.

As for the wandering off... I don't know... do remind her to stay in one place if she ever gets lost.. just sit down and wait... also ROLE PLAY with her about talking/not talking to strangers and what to do/not to do... as well as "safe" people to talk to (police men, store attendants). Practice safe street crossing with her, JIC. Remind her to NOT wander off (I am sure you are doing that). Anyway... just some thoughts.

Try to get her as much non-processed food as possible. Some kids are ultra sensitive. Watch for signs of a "caution" food... dark lines under eyes, or puffiness, over-activity, bowel changes, tiredness, drooling(yeah weird), etc.

Good luck.

If you need anything more specific, I might be able to help. I will let you know if I come up with anything else.

July 14th, 2007, 05:23 PM
stormy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to stormy Send a message via Yahoo to stormy
Quote:

ETA: I will see what I can come up with/remember and PM or post later.[/b]
Sorry that happen to you. It will not happen here. Advice is something you can either take or don't take. Offering advice is not a bad thing.
July 15th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Quote:
I promised a couple of ideas, and I am swamped, but I don't want to leave this hanging over my vacation. So, a couple of ideas:

Play the frozen statue game. One person sits very still and doesn't move or make any facial expressions, the other person tries to make them laugh. Take turns. This helps a person to learn to keep in control of themselves.

When you talk to her, make sure that she is looking at you. Have her repeat back what you say to her to make sure that she understands. Then as time goes by she should learn to listen carefully the first time.

Make a list of what needs to be done. (good for when they start to read, or you can draw pictures) Like if it is cleaning her room, make a list of what you expect. Be specific. Clothes folded and put in drawers, trash thrown away, books in bookcase, toys in toybox... whatever you want done and think she can handle. Hang it in her room for easy reference. That way you both know what the expectations are.

Be consistant. (something I really struggle with)

Stay calm, if you want to flip out, just walk away and come back.

Keep in mind that highly intelligent children tend to be busier, their brain is working doubletime.

The recommendation for evaluation is no younger than 6 years old, for evaluation and medication, although a fair number of teachers and Dr. seem to forget these recommendations for some unknown reason.

Come up with a secret word or gesture for when she is getting out of control.

Watch for tiredness/overstimulation cues and remove her from the situation.

Some people suggest that morning exercise can seriously help children that are overactive/ADHD.

Make sure she gets enough Omega3. You can get these in nuts, flaxseeds/flaxseed oil(not to be heated!), special eggs, and fish, esp. coldwater fish like salmon.

As for the wandering off... I don't know... do remind her to stay in one place if she ever gets lost.. just sit down and wait... also ROLE PLAY with her about talking/not talking to strangers and what to do/not to do... as well as "safe" people to talk to (police men, store attendants). Practice safe street crossing with her, JIC. Remind her to NOT wander off (I am sure you are doing that). Anyway... just some thoughts.

Try to get her as much non-processed food as possible. Some kids are ultra sensitive. Watch for signs of a "caution" food... dark lines under eyes, or puffiness, over-activity, bowel changes, tiredness, drooling(yeah weird), etc.

Good luck.

If you need anything more specific, I might be able to help. I will let you know if I come up with anything else.[/b]
Thank you so much for all these ideas!! I am going to ask my Mom to print them off for me so I dont forget(I dont have a printer). Ya know...I have noticed that since Emily's second session of swim lessons,she has been just somewhat calmer. I wonder if the morning class verse the evening class has helped?? Emily is such a smart girl...she is constantly moving,thinking,exploring,talking...she is busy. Thats how I like to refer to her behavior...she is always busy. There have been times I have had to literally hold her head in my hands to speak to her...and even then she has a terrible time with just relaxing and looking me into the eyes to listen. Have a fun vacation!! I'll chat with you more when you get back

</div>

</blockquote>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search