bad news in our house

Forum: Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
Remember me mentioning that Joe had applied for another position within his company? Well...it was between him and one of his buddies,Nick. Joe has worked at Beckett for nine years and has worked in the Commerical Flame Dept for five yrs. Whenever they need something,they come to Joe. The need help training someone,they come to Joe. They need someone to do group speaking in a plant meeting,they come to Joe. They need someone to build a panel,they come to Joe....OK,so you see where I am going with this,right?

Well,yesterday Joe had his interview for this new position. He really wanted this job,I mean really!! Right now he works Monday-thursday 5:50am-4:20pm. If he got this position he would have worked Monday-Friday 8am-5pm and had an hour lunch everyday. Not to mention a dollar an hr raise! Our biggest thing was because we only have one vehicle it would have been perfect...I could have drove him to work(decent hour of the morning) and had the car the remainder of the day,then just picked him up at work. OK...so anyway...his interview. He did well. He said he felt great about it,like it was in the bag.

At 3pm yesterday they told him that Nick got the job. He was so upset when he got home. He just stood outside,looking defeated. I thougt he was going to cry. I came outside and hugged him and told him it just didnt matter. Thats hard to convince either one of us that it didnt matter...because we both had really hoped he got that job. I dunno,maybe something better is in store for him....

Last night we talked and he really doesnt want to continue working there. He feels like it was all politics,he was the better canidate for this job. He was more qualified. But...no union,so they do what they want!

Right now we dont know what we will do,or if he will stay there. This is kinda the straw that broke the camels back.,kwim? This place is burning him out and he felt that if he could advance,then he could stay there longer. But in the position he is in...he is not happy. He is such a positive person and a go-getter. He told me last night he was going to start having an "I dont care attitude"...because regardless he still gets paid the same. he has too much pride for that,but i understand his frsucration.

Anyway...just wanted to share our not so good news...

</div>

</blockquote>
July 20th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, poor guy! My husband has been feeling the same way. He's been desperate for another position with his company and yet he keeps getting passed over. Fortunately, a few more opportunities have come along recently and we're really hoping he gets one. I hope something else comes along for your husband too!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 20th, 2007, 09:29 AM
He has decided to go in to the college for an assesment...he may start taking classes this fall. He knows he needs to further his education,so he can leave Beckett. It helps that they re-imburse you based on your garde level. You get an A and they re-imburse 100% and so forth down. He will have no trouble pulling anm A or B in a class...he is a bright guy and never had trouble in school like I did. So...thats what seems to be what will happen now...

</div>

</blockquote>
July 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Going back to school sounds like a great idea. Maybe this was the little nudge he needed to get him going? That really stinks about being passed over, I'm sure it was upsetting to him and you. And that's great they'll reimbuse him 100% for an A. He can use them to get his education and then leave them.
July 22nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
That sounds like a great idea. You are right though, that there may be something better in store for him.

I don't remember the story really, but it was about this farmer that had a streak of bad luck. But, whenever someone would offer him sympathy, he'd just say it's ok, there's always something better coming along (or something to that effect). Basically the story was explaining that as life has it's road blocks, sometimes it's just paving the way to a better opportunity. This unfortunate situation, might just be that...the roadblock that is paving the way to a better solution. For your husband, maybe it is going back to school to furthering his education, because there truly is something better coming his way that'll offer him more of what he is really looking for.

So don't look at this as a bad thing just yet. He is right. if he's not happy there, there's no reason to stick around. To me, there's no reason to work somewhere that you don't feel appreciated and very little to no enjoyment. You can't succeed in a job or your personal life if you don't have the desire to push ahead.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
July 23rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks Ladies for all your words of encouragement for dh and I. Joe called from work this morning and said he was a bit bummed because Nick started the job today and everyone was congratulating him. He IS happy for Nick,but sad for himself too,kwim? He was able to talk with his supervisor on friday and explained his fruscration with all the effort he puts forth and it seems that no one reconizes it. He felt better after the talk because it seems that Nick was also chosen because they didnt want to let go of Joe in that department. He still has the mind set to look into school...so that is the direction we are headed. It wont be easy,working full time,having a sick wife,two kids and go to school...but we have been through sooo much these past few years,whats another thing? Right?!? I support him with his decision and we are moving ahead.

</div>

</blockquote>
July 23rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
If he found out he was kept in his job because he was so good at it, he could probably ask for a pay raise to compensate him for his disappointment of being turned down for the promotion. ...not that he should word it like that Maybe call it an incentive... Than again, if he's still looking to go back to school and get a better job, then I guess it doesn't really matter. Either way, that's at least some good news out of the whole ordeal.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
July 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Quote:
If he found out he was kept in his job because he was so good at it, he could probably ask for a pay raise to compensate him for his disappointment of being turned down for the promotion. ...not that he should word it like that Maybe call it an incentive... Than again, if he's still looking to go back to school and get a better job, then I guess it doesn't really matter. Either way, that's at least some good news out of the whole ordeal.[/b]
Yeah...that would be nice,eh?!! One thing that sucks about this company is they only give raises once a year AFTER you have been there 3 yrs(before the 3 yrs you get alot of raises). So...Joe has been there 9 yrs and makes the same as Joe Schmo thats been there 30yrs as well as John Doe thats been there 3 yrs...doesnt seem right!

</div>

</blockquote>
July 24th, 2007, 08:35 AM
texasmomof2
Wow, Colee, I'm so sorry. But like the other ladies said, this is the push he needs to go back and further his education. I hate that he was passed over for a promotion just because he was needed in his department. That is kind of stupid if you ask me. If they want to keep him so bad in his department, then they need to make it worth it to him to stay. JMHO.

I hope things work out for you guys. I know they will, but I know it is hard.

I love ya, hon!!
July 25th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Wow, Colee, I'm so sorry. But like the other ladies said, this is the push he needs to go back and further his education. I hate that he was passed over for a promotion just because he was needed in his department. That is kind of stupid if you ask me. If they want to keep him so bad in his department, then they need to make it worth it to him to stay. JMHO.

I hope things work out for you guys. I know they will, but I know it is hard.

I love ya, hon!![/b]
Thanks

</div>

</blockquote>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search