What age do you think a kid can stay home alone?

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2005, 05:28 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I used to let Austin stay home alone, but he has proven to be irresponsible so I am not letting him stay home alone for a while. So wondering what age you started letting ds/dd stay home alone and if they aren't yet what age do you think you will let them?

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
February 11th, 2005, 08:29 AM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it depends on the child. My kids were atleast 12 yrs.old before I would leave them home alone. And it wasn`t for real long periods. Never over night.

My kids went with me about everywhere back then.

February 11th, 2005, 08:52 AM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dd baby sat for me to run to the corner store from 13-14 its about a 15-30 minute trip depending on who I saw lol.At 15 she now baby sits for a few hours BUT I pay her like I would my other sitter & she takes it more serious and doesnt complain.however if I am just runnig to grocery store or corner store,ect she does it ,because we are a team & everyone has a JOB....ok more than 1.lol

I let her stay home alone at 12-13 but she wasnt ready.Now at 15 I can trust her to be responsible & she usually even gets them to pick up the living room.Of course I think she bribes them w/popcorn & ice cream.lol
February 11th, 2005, 10:31 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I don't particularly trust my sonin most things, however he is able to stay alone for a while. (as long as he is on the computer or tv) My dh and I might go and play tennis, which is a block away and he will stay home and play on the computer. Although he frequently comes with us for that so he can play too. I might run up the street to the store. He likes it when I go and leave him at home because that means he gets to play on the computer as much as he likes while I am gone. However, I rarely leave him alone. He is ten.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
February 11th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think ours were around 10-11 when we left them home alone. Never overnight...heck, we *still* havent' done that. They would stay home if we had to run to the store or whatever and they didn't want to go. They weren't allowed to talk on the phone, or answer the phone..unless it was us (we have caller id), or answer the door. No friends over, and if they went outside, they couldnt' leave the yard. We didnt' have any problems.

I dont' think we'll ever leave them alone overnight..lol.

Stitched For Kids - Personalized Super Hero Capes, Personalized Hooded Towels, Nap Mats, Personalized Father/Son shirts, Toddler Aprons!
"Like" us on Facebook!
February 11th, 2005, 06:38 PM
AmberC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberC
IMO it all depends on the child. Some children are more responsible than others at the same age. I started staying home alone when I was 10\11 and I was babysitting at 12. Mostly for my little sister (8 yrs younger than me) but once in a while for her friends too.

With my own children (as they are only 2.5 and in utero right now ) I will just use my judgement. If I think they are responsible enough to stay home alone then I will let them. (I will also go by state laws. In Wa state.. the age is 12 I think, but they have to be older to stay home alone with a younger sibling.)

</div>
February 11th, 2005, 08:16 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I live in WA. state and there is no law, unless it is a recent development. regarding an age to leave your child at home. I remember reading in various places just last year that there is no law, just use your own judgement. Even though I trust (to some extent) my 10 year old alone and he doesn't mind, there is no way he is staying home with the baby or doing any babysitting for us at this time after the child is born. He simply is not responsible. If he ever shows that he is responsible then we might have something to think about. Every child is different. There are classes here that he COULD take when he turns 11 so that he can learn to babysit, (we would pay him if we went out on a date or something) but I still wouldn't trust him, so I don't even have to worry about spending money on the class because we don't even want him around the infant unattended for ANY space of time. I was able and responsible enough to babysit when I was 8. Every child is different.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
March 2nd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Mellie's Avatar Regular
I started leaving Kori alone when she was 12 and that was just to run errands or run to the store.

She is now 13 and she stays by herself after school until I get home from work which is about 2 hours. Our neighbor has a daughter who is 14 and they have the same classes at school so they'll usually get together and do homework at our house or our neighbors house. She is very rarely totally alone. I trust her, its other people I don't trust.

We live in a very safe neighborhood, but you never know.

March 3rd, 2005, 07:51 PM
grneydgurl's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to grneydgurl Send a message via Yahoo to grneydgurl
I let Adrian (11 yo) stay home alone for no more than an hour by himself. He knows the rules. No outside, no phone, he does his homework, no one in the house and do his chores. After all that is done if he wants he can either stay home or he can go upstairs to his "uncles" house. The only reason we allow this is because we own a tenament home and we are close to everyone in the home, I have known the tenants on the second floor for almost 7 years and Im godmother to all their children. So if there is ever an emergency he knows where to go.
<div align="center"> Jesci's Myspace </div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search