New to this area... lol

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to TheNewestPhelps
Well, I've been a member of JM since I found out I was pregnant with my EDD April baby which ended up being a M/C that resulted in a D&C. Afterwards, my SO and I got married on Oct. 9th. I then began posting in the TTC#1 board. But now we have a new member of the family and I have a feeling I'm going to be spending some time here as well.

Some quick stats.
Me (Sarah): Age 20
DH (Jake): Age 21
New member (Taylor): 15.

I know, I know. I'm only five years older than my "son" so let me explain a little.

Jake has known Taylor and his family for years. When Taylor was young and living with his grandmother, she couldn't dicipline him, so she would call Jake over to do it. Jake calls her "Mama". It's a very close relationship. He's watched Taylor grow up.

Jake has always been like a "peer mediator". We live with his disabled father, and Jake's been taking care of him for years. Several of his friends (ages 17+) were once living on the streets because they couldn't stand their home and Jake helped them get back on their feet. I moved out of my parents house at 17 because of my parents addictions and their effect on me, so I know that route as well.
So when Taylor and Jake's close friend Dalton (One of this kids Jake helped off the street) said Taylor had been running away because he couldn't stand his home, we immediately went to find him.
When we found him, Taylor was distrought. He just knew we were going to make him go back, and he refused to stay there. So I pulled Jake in the other room and just plainly said "Let's take him. If anyone knows how to deal with this situation, it's us." So we discussed it with Dad, then Taylor's gma. She was upset, but understood that it was what he needs. So he's staying with us and we will soon begin the process of getting legal guardianship.

So that's how we adopted our new "son" Taylor. However, I don't like calling him "son" and I don't want him calling us mom or dad. That would make us 5 and 6 when we had him. Creepy. :/
So, as I said, I'll probably be stopping in here with PLENTY of questions and updates lol.

Thank you Zarziza for my perfect siggy!
November 12th, 2010, 03:23 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board! I'm Michelle, mom to David 12 and Hailey 7.

That's a great thing your DH and you are doing. Good luck and I hope Taylor realizes what great friends he has and gets and stays on the right path

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search