smoking

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2011, 09:35 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you smoke? Did you when you were a teen?

How would you feel if your preteen/teen experimented with smoking? How would you feel if they flat out started smoking?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

February 23rd, 2011, 03:12 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I smoked for 17 years. started when I was 13 and quit April 2001

If David was to try it, but not start smoking I wound be disappointed, but not push him for it. If he was to flat out start smoking it would break my heart and I would do everything I could think of to get him to quit

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

February 23rd, 2011, 07:07 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Do you smoke? Not any more.
Did you when you were a teen? Yes, from about 15-19. I quit when I got pg with my daughter. Still have the occasional once in a blue moon cig. But haven't had one in a few years.

How would you feel if your preteen/teen experimented with smoking? I would be disappointed.
How would you feel if they flat out started smoking? I would be pretty **** upset and would do all in my power to get her to quit.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

March 1st, 2011, 06:27 AM
Nope, I haven't tried it when I was a teen.

Of course I won't feel good about it cause I don't see it as a good influence. Aside from opening the channels of communication with my teen, I let them exercise the right to determine which kinds of activity can enter our household.

troubled kids

Last edited by katejane; March 1st, 2011 at 06:31 AM.
March 3rd, 2011, 04:41 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I smoked for 25 years and just recently quit 4 months ago. Thank goodness my boys never started smoking and they dislike smoking all together.

I feel the education they have in the schools now along with the lack of cigarette smoking has laid a solid foundation for the younger generation not to even start smoking. Back when I was a teen it was more than accepted. Everyone smoked and it was no big deal.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

March 11th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I smoked for a bit as a teenager, I was never a heavy smoker though, I can't stand it now.

If my teen decided to start smoking, then they would have to accept that I wasn't going to buy them stuff anymore, if you have enough money to smoke (its over $10 a pack here) then you also have enough money to buy your own clothes etc.
March 11th, 2011, 01:56 PM
mom2pne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't smoke now, but I did when I was 18.

I'd be very upset with him. I've told him about how bad it was and he knows my mom died the day after she turned 59 on 7/27/2009 due to emphazema and heart failure caused by smoking since she was a teen. So he better not smoke! Plus, his grandma is going to give him $ on his 21st birthday if he doesn't smoke or drink.

When my BIL turned 21 and she gave him his $ he went straight to a bar with it. lol Total back fire I think.
March 12th, 2011, 08:54 PM
dawnk777's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tried smoking as a teen, but after only a puff or two, I didn't like it and never did it again. Well, I experimented, so I guess I wouldn't have been mad if they'd only tried it. I would be made if they had started smoking.

However, they are 21 and almost 19 now and haven't even tried it. They are both repulsed by smoking and at this point, I think it's a pretty done deal that they aren't going to smoke. Sarah is old enough to drink alcohol, but really doesn't, except with family.

April 29th, 2011, 02:35 PM
They start much earlier these days...
May 7th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I smoked as a teen, but haven't in many years. My kids are not allowed to smoke. They don't get a choice.

May 10th, 2011, 10:53 AM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never smoked. Had no interest in trying it. Growing up, I had some friends who did though.

If one of my girls ever tried it, there would be some serious consiquences. If they ever seriously started smoking, they would be out of the house. Period. I know that sounds harsh but I have a little one with chronic lung disease. Second hand smoke could land her in the hospital or even kill her after just one exposure.
If one of my girls had to leave the house because of smoking, we'd find someone for them to stay with (a close friend or relative) while we did everything we possibly could to help them quit.
Thankfully my girls are fully aware of this and have absolutely no interest in risking it. They love their sister too much.
September 7th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I smoked as a teen, but I quit when I got pregnant with my daughter.
I'm worried now, she is 12, and some of her friends smoke /she told me/. She doesn't smoke and I deeply hope not to start.
September 27th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I used to smoke, and from experience I know that my kids will smoke if they want to no matter what I do. It will really hurt if they start though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search