Online Safety - HELP NEEDED

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Hi there,

We are writing a FUN BUT HELPFUL book on online security for parents and would love to have your input!

If you could ask computer security professionals any questions on how to create a safer environment online for your child, what would you ask?

Does your child use your computer, tablet and cell phone? Or do they even have their own? What are you doing to protect them (and yourself) from predators and other malicious things that are waiting for you online?

What concerns you about online safety and your kids using technology to connect with the world? What are the biggest questions you have?

We will do our best to answer all questions received.

Thank you!

P.S. If we posted this in the wrong section or have violated your posting rules we apologize.
If you could let us know a more appropriate way to follow we will do that.
February 23rd, 2012, 12:15 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! Glad you posted in here. I'd love to have a book like this. I'm totally clueless. My husband is the internet safety guy in our family. He sets and enforces the rules for the girls and I just smile and nod. Sometimes I think he's too strict though. So it would be nice to have an outside resource.

My teens have their own laptops that they got from school. I don't exactly know how they're set up but I know they have some pretty strict internet restrictions.
My oldest has a facebook account that my husband monitors very closely. She can't have any "facebook friends" that we don't know in person and she has a set time of day that she's allowed to be on it. My 13 year old will get a facebook account when she starts high school and the same rules will apply to her. Facebook completely baffles me. I really don't know what I'd do without my husband.
My two youngest share a computer. They have to ask before they get online and someone has to be supervising them the whole time.

As far as smart phones and things like that... My husband has one for work but it's off limits to the rest of us. I wouldn't even know what to do with it. My teens have cell phones but they are basic phones for emergencies only. They don't use them in the house.

I do worry about the girls pictures being online. My husband is paranoid about it. Something in your book about how to use pictures safely would be helpful.

Other than that, I don't even know what questions to ask. Hopefully others will chime in!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search