What should I do?

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2012, 08:57 AM
badgirl11381's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to badgirl11381
So, my uncle is on life support and I went to the hospital to see him on Saturday. I am very hesitant about letting the girls go to their dads bc there isn't as much supervision as I would like. Well, her dad dropped her off back home and I got home very late and was looking in her room for my cell phone charger and on her bed was her bookbag with the front pocket wide open with a pack of opened cigarettes and a lighter in it. I'm trying to think of how to punish her. I am not letting her do any weekend activities but I can't really take away her phone bc she gets younger dd off the bus daily and then calls to check in. WWYD??

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy
March 21st, 2012, 09:53 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ouch...I am so dreading if this day comes with my kids. I smoked for 17 years and quit 11 years ago. I started when I was 13. When I got caught by my grandparents my grand father made me smoke a cigar to try to deter me from it...didn't work...I hid it from my mom pretty well until I was older and even though she didn't smoke she kinda just closed her eyes to it and by that time I was around 17 and she just let me do it, but not in the house of around her...my dad and step mom gave me permission at 15 and even bought them for me...their way of looking at it was they wanted me to do it in front of them and not sneak behind their backs and burn the house down

I really don't know what I would do if either of my kids started smoking. IMO for your daughter, she is already smoking so she probably isn't going to just quit because she got caught...she will probably sneak it which could lead to other issues. I wish I had some awesome words of wisdom here, but I just really don't know.

Maybe do some reasearch online and find some graphic pics or articles about what it does to your lungs and what emphaysema is like or about someone who had throat cancer or something like that.

Do you smoke? Does your daughters dad smoke?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

March 21st, 2012, 12:51 PM
I was thinking about making her smoke all four of the cigarettes that were left and hoping that she would get sick but I dont think I could watch her smoke lol. my ex and I unfortunatley both smoke so that doesn't help. My mom never smoked a day in her life and I'm still not allowed to smoke in front of her lol.

March 21st, 2012, 08:45 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think if she's already smoking then no punishment you could give her would do any good. She's probably already addicted and keeping her from activities or taking things away won't change that. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Sorry.)

If one of my daughters started smoking they would be out of my house. Period. This is not me just being overly harsh, it's because my 6 year old has chronic lung disease and second hand smoke could litterally kill her very quickly.
But.... if that were to happen I would do everything in my power to help them quit. Counseling, prescription medications, whatever it took.

If I were in your shoes, I'd have a serious conversation with her. Be honest about not just the health issues but the financial cost as well. See if she's receptive to getting some help to quit. Talk to her doctor about it and see what options might be available.

Sorry. It's all I got. ((HUGS))

March 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
Thank you...wow sorry to hear about your daughter I appriciate anything at this point..im just going to keep trying. Im wondering who bought them for her. It would be a lot easier if I didn't smoke..that isn't helping things.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search