Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2012, 04:14 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does your preteen/teen have their own cell phone? If so, do you allow them to take it to school? Does the schools allow them to use them on school grounds?

March 26th, 2012, 07:41 AM
badgirl11381's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to badgirl11381
yes, yes, and yes. lol She has had a cellphone since she was 9..started out pre-paid. Now, she is on my plan. She takes her phone to school n I see her posting on facebook during school hours so I usually just embarrass her by posting on her wall.."GET OFF FACE BOOK N DO YOUR WORK" lol!!

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy
March 26th, 2012, 09:37 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

David had a phone for a brief amount of time. We got him one for his 13 birthday (July) and we took it away shortly after Christmas. He proved to not be mature enough for one and was texting some very inappropriate things to other kids. When he did have it we did not allow him to take it to the school and the school does not allow cell phones

March 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Yes, yes & yes although they are meant to be turned off during school time, but they just have them on silent!
March 26th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our rule is once youre in high school, and you have to buy it yourself.

My older two have them, theyre allowed to take them to school, however their school rules are if they are seen or on (example, ringing in lockers) during school hours they are confiscated, you get a detention and your parents have to come and pick up the phone. Turned off and in your locker the whole school day.
March 27th, 2012, 03:59 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
No,if she had one it could go to school but the rule there is it must be in their backpacks.

No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
March 27th, 2012, 08:48 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Meg and Abbey both have them for emergency use and important communication only. (minimal texting, no games) If they want more they have to pay for their own phone. When they are at home phones are turned off and kept in the kitchen.

When they are in school they have to be turned off and in their lockers or backpacks during class time. They can use them during breaks, lunch, free period etc. but only in designated areas. If they break the rules the phone is confiscated, the student has to pay a fine, a parent has to pick it up and it can't come back to school for the rest of the term.

Kayla and Ellie will get them when they turn 12.

March 30th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Yes to all three for me as well. Though my teens thought they were the last kids in the whole school to get a phone since I made them wait until this year but with my daughter getting her license I wanted her to have a way to call if something happened.

They text me all day too, at the high school most of the teachers don't care as long as they aren't interrupting class by having ringers go off.

My youngest who is 7 really wants a phone but we are making him wait a little longer.
March 30th, 2012, 04:01 PM
The oldest 3 have cellphones. The school allows them, but they have to be off during class or if they are caught with them during class hours or in the hallway they are confiscated & detention may be given.

We used to do prepaid, but then found a great family plan and we put a few blocks on so they are limited as to what they can do. If they are paying for their own phone it's different. But they cannot interfere with family things, dinner, homework or other aspects of life.

Austin & Emily want one, but they are only 11, and I think that's too young. So when they hit 13/14 we'll get each of them one.
Brianne & Christopher
Married since July 2002

Together we have 4 beautiful children:
Treyden (Dec/97), Emily (Jun/00), Christina (Oct/03) & Hilarie (Dec/04)

Together we are raising 7 of my nieces & nephews:
Kristina (Feb/96), Leah (Jan/98), Austin (Apr/00), Dylan (Feb/02), Mya (Feb/02), Landon (Apr/03) & Melanie (May/08)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search