college

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you discussed college with your preteen/teen yet? Is it something you feel strongly about? If they chose not to go, how would you feel about that?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

April 3rd, 2012, 03:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They can do as they wish.

I dont think tertiary education is the same here as it is in America, I know in the US there is such a culture surrounding it, whereas here you go "Okay, I need to get this to do this job, so ill do that" and thats it.

There are many other alternatives here, TAFE, appreticeships, or just not studying and diving straight into full time work.
April 3rd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
They will all go to College or University as there are very few jobs for 17-18 year olds here. College/University means they will be entering the job market at 19-20/22 which will be a bit better as they will also have better qualifications.
April 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would like to see David go to college, but will not force him.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

April 3rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Veteran
I'd like to see the kids go to college/university, but I'm not going to force any of them. If we were still living in the US I'd probably feel stronger about them going, but where we live now it doesn't seem to be nearly as big of a deal.

Together we have 4 beautiful children:
Treyden (Dec/97), Emily (Jun/00), Christina (Oct/03) & Hilarie (Dec/04)

Together we are raising 7 of my nieces & nephews:
Kristina (Feb/96), Leah (Jan/98), Austin (Apr/00), Dylan (Feb/02), Mya (Feb/02), Landon (Apr/03) & Melanie (May/08)

April 4th, 2012, 01:31 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have some "college" savings for all the girls and our hope is that they will all continue their education beyond high school.
Meg and Abbey are both pretty set on getting a 4 year college degree but we have a lot of good friends who started out in college and then changed their minds or didn't go at all and have still become very successful and are very happy doing what they love. So if my girls decide not to go or end up dropping out, I'd be fine with it but I do expect them to have a plan and be supporting themselves.
We're investing a lot into their K-12 education right now because we want them to be well prepared for whatever they choose to do after that.

April 5th, 2012, 07:05 AM
badgirl11381's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to badgirl11381
I would really like her to go to college but won't force her. She has stated she really wants to go...I think its good to continue education but also, to have that college experience, to get out on your own and meet new people, try new things and gain her independance. I regret not going

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search