first car

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2012, 07:30 PM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you plan to either buy or help your teen buy their first car or will they have to pay for it them self?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

April 3rd, 2012, 03:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They have to pay for it themselves.
April 3rd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
If they want a car then they'll pay and insure it themselves! Insurance is sky high for the age 17-21 bracket so I doubt any of them will own a car until they are past the ludicrous insurance costs.
April 3rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we plan to get David a fixer upper around age 15 so he and his dad can fix it up and get it road ready for when David gets his license.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

April 3rd, 2012, 04:25 PM
Veteran
DH & I are torn on this topic.

We think if the kids can come up with 50% we'll cover the other 50%, to a certain price. But my sis & BIL always told me that they were going to buy their kids their first car...and Kristi & Leah are old enough to remember this. But now that my sis & BIL are no longer with us, DH & I are torn as to do the 50/50 or pull the money my sis & BIL put aside for big things (cars & college) for their kids and pay the full bill.

We are kind of leaning more towards the 50/50 and then pull a year or two worth of insurance out of that fund, for each kid. BUT then comes the thing where when it's our own kids turn to get a car how do we do this and keep it "fair"? My sis & BIL were a LOT better off than we are financially, but we figure we should still be able to afford the 50/50 for our own kids, but they'd have to pay their own insurance.

GAH! haha Thankfully we have another year or so before we really have to worry about this.

Together we have 4 beautiful children:
Treyden (Dec/97), Emily (Jun/00), Christina (Oct/03) & Hilarie (Dec/04)

Together we are raising 7 of my nieces & nephews:
Kristina (Feb/96), Leah (Jan/98), Austin (Apr/00), Dylan (Feb/02), Mya (Feb/02), Landon (Apr/03) & Melanie (May/08)

April 4th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Funny this topic came up since tomorrow morning I take my oldest (Tesla) in for her driving test and my son Dannie is taking his permit test. Scary day at my house.

Tesla actually did all of the research and paid for most of her first car. Unfortunately, she got scammed. And since our family is growing this year (I'm getting married and adding Isaac his 7 year old to the mix) we decided to go ahead and get another car so she and Dannie will get my old one.

I have also always told my kids I would pay their insurance unless they choose to disregard appropriate driving activities (tickets, etc) and at that point they wouldn't be driving any longer. They will be responsible for their own gas however.
April 4th, 2012, 02:00 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
Funny this topic came up since tomorrow morning I take my oldest (Tesla) in for her driving test and my son Dannie is taking his permit test. Scary day at my house.
I understand that fear. Meg will be getting her license in about a month. Good luck to them both!!

If our girls want their own car then they have to pay for it themselves. We will co-sign a loan if it's necessary but they have to cover all the payments, all maintenance and gas. We'll pay for insurance though because our company has a good program for teen drivers but they have to be on our policy. And if they didn't have their own car and were just driving ours we'd be paying for insurance anyway.

April 5th, 2012, 07:10 AM
badgirl11381's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to badgirl11381
Brittney will go for her permit this year. I plan to help her buy a cheap car. She will deffinatley have to put in at least 50% I'm scared for her to drive but it will also help out a lot. We have been practicing in our neighborhood...she deff needs more practice before she will test lol

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy
June 5th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll maybe help them with a car when they move out. So they can come home and visit
June 7th, 2012, 05:15 AM
BOYSxTWO's Avatar Veteran
i will purchase my son's first car. i just bought a new car and i don't want him driving it!!! LOL
July 22nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
I paid for mine and my own insurance but if work gets in the way of school that's not possible for them. I don't have to worry quite yet but I lean towards them paying.
September 2nd, 2012, 02:55 AM
BOYSxTWO's Avatar Veteran
My son just got his license; I will be buying a little something to run around in. He plays sports and his job is to do well in school and continue with his sports so that he's eligible for a scholarship to college. Additionally, he'll be driving himself and DS2 to school.
October 23rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Veteran
We've helped them all (well the oldest 5 whom are driving age and our niece) with their first cars - except one - who off and bought his himself (very proud moment for he and us). Each was required to have a job and we helped them manage the money in order to pay the note, the insurance, and the gas. We have three more to go and the 14 year old has already gotten a job to start saving for a down-payment (or buy one outright).

November 25th, 2012, 04:04 AM
My husband and I are buying my daughter one. Shes had a tough time the last two years and has been pretty much working and supporting herself on a low budget with all kinds of health issues going on which have impacted on that. Shes proved herself responsible and mature. Shes paid for her own lessons and test and rent.

As for insurance/MOT etc, well we will pay the first year then after that shes on her own. She will have ample opportunity to save and learn about running a car. If shes fails miserably by the end of the year then she will have to think and learn the hard way. Bank of mum will be closed but the support desk will still be open.

But in all honesty, shes 22 and deserves it. Not to mention shes been living in the sticks for two years with non existent buses so its about time she upgraded and shes made a huge effort to earn this. Not to mention I love her madly and think shes worth this.
January 5th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Me and my husband bought my 17 yr old daughter,her first car when she turned 16.But we made her sign a contract,if she violates any part of the contract,she loses her car.

Then my 23 yr old daughter,we also bought her first car.She also had contract too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search