clothes

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mamma_anna

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2012, 04:09 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you pretty mich let your preteen/teen wear what ever they want? Do you like their sense of fashion?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

April 5th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont care what they wear, its not up to me whether to like it or not, the only clothes I have to like are the ones on my own back.

Dita wears a lot of singlets, baggy jeans, cargo pants, hoodies, thick silver jewellery, big boots, she has a few corsets, heavy skirts and light dresses. SHe also had a lot of facial piercings. Usually bright colours.

Azriel wears a lot of rainbow, patchwork clothes, very hippy-ish stuff, dreadbands (he has dreadlocks) arm warmers, scarves, long coats, he's another one with the facial piercings.

Sunny is a lot more girly than the other two girls, she wears tshirts with cartoon characters, coloured shoes, skinny jeans, 50's style big skirts, delicate cardigans, hairclips, headbands, big flowers in her hair.

Lux is a real tomboy, she would wear her riding clothes all day every day if she could. Other than her horse riding clothes, jeans, leggings, runners, tshirts, hoodies, tracksuit pants.
April 5th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Veteran
I let them pick most things themselves, and they are pretty good with what they wear. There are a few items I refuse to let Kristi leave the house in, but for the most part I'm pretty easy going with their styles/fashions.

Together we have 4 beautiful children:
Treyden (Dec/97), Emily (Jun/00), Christina (Oct/03) & Hilarie (Dec/04)

Together we are raising 7 of my nieces & nephews:
Kristina (Feb/96), Leah (Jan/98), Austin (Apr/00), Dylan (Feb/02), Mya (Feb/02), Landon (Apr/03) & Melanie (May/08)

April 5th, 2012, 12:05 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since they have to wear school uniforms (which I love btw) I try to be open minded about what they choose to wear.
I do expect some modesty in their wordrobe. It has to cover more than a swim suit, no underwear or bra straps showing, not show too much clevage or leg, and be weather appropriate. I personally would prefer that they not wear anything strapless but I'm willing to negotiate on that depending on how the whole outfit looks.
I think they have pretty good fasion sense. I've only had to use my veto power once with Meg.
yvee80 likes this.

April 5th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I've always felt that clothes (and hair) a some of the few ways that kids have to express themselves so I have always let them wear whatever they wanted. And lucky for me they aren't too crazy.

Tesla-Mostly a jeans and t-shirts kind of girl. On very rare occasions she will wear a skirt or dress. She also loves to dye her hair strange colors and has her nose pierced but she has had to tone all of that down now that she is working in an office.

Dannie-Decided this year that he was going to wear shorts all year to school and so far he's made it. I figure he's in high school and if he is willing to freeze than more power to him.

Isaac- Is still young and is willing to wear whatever is in his drawer even if it is someone elses that accidently ended up there. The other morning he wandered out in a pair of Dannie's socks that are 10 times too big for him.
April 5th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Their fashion sense is pretty casual. Jeans & tops mostly. I do like them to look their ages though, I'm not keen on them looking years older than they actually are. I want Elijah to look 16 and not nearly 20 which a lot of girls her age do.
They wear school uniform, so their non-school wardrobe is their way of expressing themselves and I haven't had the need to tell them no way to anything.
April 5th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy View Post

Dannie-Decided this year that he was going to wear shorts all year to school and so far he's made it. I figure he's in high school and if he is willing to freeze than more power to him.
I dont understand why boys are so backwards in the way they dress in regards to weather.

Its currently school holidays here, and Azriel and his friends went to see a movie, it was a pretty warm day, not hot, but t-shirt type weather, and he walked out the house in long pants, a thick jumper and a beanie. A few weeks ago there was ice everywhere outside and he went to school (my older two go to community school, so they dont have uniforms, unlike most Australian public schools) in shorts and a t-shirt.

My husband is the same, he has to wear a shirt and nice pants to work, but he will only put a jacket on if it is warm.

Whereas my girls seem to have much more of that concept of "Hmm, if I look out the window I can see ice everywhere, I will put a jacket on before I go outside" "Today the sun is shining and it is warm, therefore I will wear short sleeves"

On another note, Sasha would wear a pirate costume all day every day if I let him.
April 5th, 2012, 08:25 PM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my husband wears shorts year round

Davis is pretty basic with his clothes, so there's never really been any issues for me not to like

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

April 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
She can wear what she wants mostly. No skirts that are too short etc. She's pretty good about her clothes.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
June 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I do have a few guidelines they have to follow at this point. No short shorts, no strapless and no low cut shirts, anything that could come across as "sexy" I guess or trying to look much older than you actually are. As they get older they'll get to decide on these things for themselves.
June 7th, 2012, 05:14 AM
BOYSxTWO's Avatar Veteran
yes, but only because i have sons! overall i do like his sense of style and he must like/value mine, because he often asks how something looks together/on him or if it matches!
August 13th, 2012, 08:58 AM
kiendra's Avatar Regular
i like my girls fashion
she doesnt like the skimppy stuff
jeans and a t-shirt kinda girl!
August 14th, 2012, 10:58 AM
mom2brittnchris's Avatar TTC#3
Mine basically wear what they want. Daughter who is getting ready to be 14, is good about not wanting to show skin so that makes mom happy. She is a skinny jean and t-shirt kinda girl(mostly band tees). She is more of a tomboy and doesn't like girly clothes at all. I think the most girly thing she wears is her pair of TOMs lol. Son is a pants and tshirt boy so no problems there either
August 25th, 2012, 03:25 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My boys clothes are sporty. Lots of mesh shorts, jogging type pants, and t-shirts/hoodies. For t-shirts they like name brand stuff a lot so I try to find sales online and in the store and also buy second-hand through garage sales, thrift stores, craigslist, etc.

My girl has always been pretty girly in her clothes and usually picks appropriate stuff. My rule is if it is against school rules to wear it we are not buying it. That said she did get some inappropriate stuff with her mom's parents. I think they just wanted to spoil her and see her get what she wanted (which is a grandparents prerogative I guess). They allowed her to get high heeled boots (I think they look like hooker boots), strapless tank tops, a few skirts that are too short, and a few tank tops that go too low.

So if she wants to wear the strapless tank tops I make her wear one of those short sleeve half sweaters. And if she wants to wear those tanks that are too revealing she has to wear a camisole tank under it. And if she wants to wear those skirts she has to wear leggings under it. The boots she has not been allowed to wear. She was mad about that.

September 23rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
We make sure our daughter looks respectable , no short shorts no shirts that shows her stomach.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search