College

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2012, 05:42 AM
Veteran
My daughter is an excelled student and I know you have to think college early but is going into 9th grade too early? She wants to be an OB/GYN and I know there are national honors societies for that do you think its too early to apply?

May 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Veteran
Personally, I think it's too early. I'd give it another year or 2 before doing any applying because so much can change between now and then.

Together we have 4 beautiful children:
Treyden (Dec/97), Emily (Jun/00), Christina (Oct/03) & Hilarie (Dec/04)

Together we are raising 7 of my nieces & nephews:
Kristina (Feb/96), Leah (Jan/98), Austin (Apr/00), Dylan (Feb/02), Mya (Feb/02), Landon (Apr/03) & Melanie (May/08)

May 22nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont know how any of that works in the US, all I know is that here any medical courses you have to prepare a year or 2 earlier, Dita's partner is tossing up between paediatric surgery or paediatric oncology, so she has to sit a few extra exams on top of her high school exams.

She's in her last year of high school now, she has her official UMAT test coming up in 2 months, she has to get a certain score to be accepted into any medical related university course. She has also done a few practice GAMSATs, which she will take after completing a bachelors degree.

Dita wants to be a chocolatier, and to up her appearance to the culinary academy she's applying to she has completed a Unit 2 and Unit 3 in hospitality, which are TAFE certificates that I believe are equivalent to community college, however it is something her high school offers that you can do in place of other subjects in years 10 and 11, plus if she ever changes her mind, at least she has some qualifications there.

I dont know really what im saying, but if this is something she is really passionate about, and isnt likely to flip-flop around with what she wants to do, and it isnt going to put pressure on her that will result in her schooling taking a hit, then I see no harm in it.

(the reason why I say flip-flopping is that Dita and Violet both started these pre-prep things at 15, the age Azriel is now, and theres no way he could make that kind of commitment to future study, because what he wants to do in the future changes on a monthly basis)
May 23rd, 2012, 05:39 AM
Veteran
Wow it's a lil different here. You usually do your 4 years of university then are tested and go on to medical school. Tell her good luck. I don't see any flip flop coming she is a very driven girl. I love your side of the world it would be easier to get the ball rolling. Here the only chance she has is to do national honors society to encourage her to keep her grades up and get the extra encouragement she needs.

I do agree with CBTECH that so much can change but I also see people get passed up for their dreams because they didn't start early enough.

Maybe she needs to exchange student with you haha.

So if others think its too soon then what are kids supposed to be doing to keep their dreams when they are too young to achieve them yet?

May 23rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstout View Post
I do agree with CBTECH that so much can change but I also see people get passed up for their dreams because they didn't start early enough.
I would give her until grade 10 before starting the application process, but if she's passionate about it then go for it. I only say wait because I know how much my siblings & friends all flip-flopped before setting on something after high school.

Together we have 4 beautiful children:
Treyden (Dec/97), Emily (Jun/00), Christina (Oct/03) & Hilarie (Dec/04)

Together we are raising 7 of my nieces & nephews:
Kristina (Feb/96), Leah (Jan/98), Austin (Apr/00), Dylan (Feb/02), Mya (Feb/02), Landon (Apr/03) & Melanie (May/08)

May 23rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
Veteran
Oh I totally agree with you I just don't know whats expected of everyone in this highly competative society I want her to have a childhood and get where she wants to go its a hard balance.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search