Please help...

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LovinMyGirls

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I am new to this site and I am seeking some help. I am the mother of a 10 year old boy and a 3 month old girl. My son keeps getting into trouble at school. Not major trouble just silly things like talking and forgetting his books. The problem is after he gets into trouble and is told to write some "I will not talk" or some other little writeoff punishment, he fails to do it. Therefore he has now had 3 detentions in the last 3 weeks simply due to not completing his write-offs. Then to take it a step further he doesn't give me the detention form to sign and I get calls from the school. I have tried EVERY form of punishment I can think of and nothing seems to sink in! I have taken all of his privilages, grounded him to his room for a month, tried the "mommy is soooo disappointed in you" thing, I've yelled, not yelled, pleaded and reasoned. Nothing!!!!! So any suggestions wold be greatly appreciated because I am now sitting here trying to come up with a new punishment for the new problem. Thanks!!!
October 8th, 2012, 10:00 AM
That sounds very frustrating. Given that your son is getting into trouble at school, I would suggest that you allow your sonís school to continue to hold him accountable versus you holding him accountable at home for misbehavior at school. Is it possible for the school to email you a detention form as needed so you donít have to rely on your son bringing the slip home?

With some kids, consequences are not as effective as incentives. You may want to suggest to your sonís teacher that he/she start using a behavior chart for him at school. That way, if he doesnít talk out of turn or if he remembers his books, he is able to earn incentives, such as extra computer time.

I hope you find this helpful!
October 18th, 2012, 02:35 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
I agree with the behavior chart and allowing him to have consequences at school. Could any of this be do to the new baby? Attention seeking behavior..even negative attention could be what he's looking for since your time is now split. Maybe rewarding good.behavior with a special activity with you and him.
8forus likes this.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ

Tags
disipline , frustrated

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search