Advice for Kid About Removal of Online Content?

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2013, 11:39 AM
My kid is a few years out of teenage years.

He/she used to be very opinionated and outspoken. Luckily, though, his/her opinions are more nuanced and balanced nowadays.

However, as a teenager, he/she made several posts (without my prior knowledge or approval) to the Internet--articles, book reviews, comments, etc. To me, many of the posts seem are poorly written and inflammatory; S/D now realizes this. There were about a dozen or so posts.

My kid is now a young adult who will soon finish his/her post-secondary education and look for work. S/D worries that the Web postings could affect his/her employment prospects.

We were able to call some of the webmasters and get roughly 20% of the content removed. The remaining sites have no phone numbers (and sometimes no email) listed.

For the ones with emails, how would you phrase the email message to the webmasters. Since the ball is in the webmaster's court, I advised my son/daughter to be polite, state that it was a youthful indiscretion and that he was a minor, kindly request a removal, and thank the webmaster for the consideration. Is there anything else that you would advise my kid to say?

For the ones without emails or any other contact information, how should we proceed?

Also, what if the webmaster(s) either doesn't respond or outright refuses? What can we do then?

Should we offer to purchase the content or even buy the domain name? Or should we persist? My child's best friend jokingly suggested hacking into the site, but I oppose that.

There is positive content (scholarships, volunteer projects, achievements, etc) about my son/daughter on the Web. I just worry what effect everything else would have on him/her.
June 21st, 2013, 10:47 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hmm..well maybe it's because I don't know what the content is that I'm not feeling the alarm that you and your child are feeling.

Does the content have your child's name, location etc included in it? Does it come up on a google search for your child's name?

On many sites once you delete your account the information the account no longer shows up on the site or searches. I do understand that once you put it out there in cyber space it's out there forever, but one would really have to dig beyond what I think a potnetial employer would search.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

September 15th, 2014, 09:48 AM
I disagree-I would do EVERYTHING you can to try and have these posts removed. I would simply email the web masters and be honest about that your child was a young kid and made mistakes, but now he is older and seeking employment as an adult and wishes for them to be removed. i know of many employers that check what prospective hires have put out on the Internet and some have lost opportunities because of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search