Cell phones

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Do your teens have them? And if they do, do they take them to school?
September 16th, 2005, 10:00 PM
x3 MaGs x3's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to x3 MaGs x3 Send a message via MSN to x3 MaGs x3
Yes, I have one. And yes, I do take it school. I don't use it during the day, it's not even on during the day. I really bring it to get intouch with friends after school ends if we need to meet up, or call a taxi, or my parents. Things of that sort...

Favorite Girls Names: Annabelle Irene, Ruby Claire, Charlotte Rose, and Stella Louise.
Favorite Boys Names: Nathaniel Grey, Sebastian Eric, Connor Thomas, and Elijah Robert.

Myspace*Photos
September 17th, 2005, 07:36 AM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 2 older kids have had them for a long while. Jared doesn`t yet. But, once he is out driving on his own he will have one. And will take it everywhere.

September 17th, 2005, 09:27 AM
My kids both have them and take them to school. The school just recently changed their policy about them. Last year the were not allowed to have them on school property, although both my kids did, just kept it hidden. This year they are allowed to carry them but not use them during school hours.
September 18th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Swamp Lizard's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Swamp Lizard
My daughter has one. It is one of the prepaid ones. She takes it to school, but it is school policy that she has to turn it in to the office every morning and then pick it up after school. I am fine with this policy. We gave it to her so she will have a way to contact us when she is away with friends and church.
September 18th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 17 year old has a prepaid card one. (We didn't buy it for her). This has been a issue for a long time.

She would like one that is not the prepaid as they are expensive to use but we said we are not going to sign for her to get one. She needs to make sure she has a reliable job first in order to pay her phone bill. We can not afford to help her pay if she can't. She is the type that would be on it all the time with her friend. Once she turns 18 I am sure she will get one.

September 22nd, 2005, 06:29 AM
sanderson76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to sanderson76
Our oldest daughter had one a couple of years ago but was sneaking and using it during very late night hours, so it was taken away and we have never gave her one back...SHe is 13 and all her friends have them and they carry them at school, but they hae to keep them turned off...
She does take mine when she goes to a school function or stays all night with a friend, since we hae an extra one at home..an extra one because DH has a work one too...so he doesn't carry his personal one.

MY BLOG

September 22nd, 2005, 09:58 AM
mommyoffive's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh and I are against cell phones for our preteen. Our opinion on it is that she does not go anywhere that we are not, or that we don't have the number to get ahold of her if we needed to. She is 10, and not allowed to just wander the streets all day. She calls us when she gets to a house so we know where she is. And as far as school functions or church, again we have the numbers or are there with her. We will agree to her having one when and if she gets her license at 16, if she has a job, and it will only be the go-phones. Otherwise I would fear that she would not have any self control and charge a ton of minutes with her friends. Also I am a stay at home mom so it's not like I am not somewhere that she could not get ahold of me, and I have a cellphone so Im always accessiable.
September 22nd, 2005, 10:28 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
Christian uses a pay as you go cell phone once in a while. Usually when we are going to be seperated somewhere. He doesn't take it to school.

Michael(16), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(8), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(2), Ronan(1)
September 22nd, 2005, 04:43 PM
Shelley, I have to say I worried about the lack of self control for my kids, who have had their phones since 2002. I have been pleasantly surprised at how good they are with it. The only time we had an issue was the first summer they had them and i figured that it was because they were home. We just increase the plan during the summers now. It's also a great way for punishment. If they don't do something that I want them to do, I take the phone away.
September 27th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Westywoman5's Avatar Veteran
My older 3 have them. We have a family plan. It made sense for us because of sports and activites and things for the girls to have them. Emily and Jordan take them to school but the school requires they be turned off. If its heard or seen during class they get taken and I'd have to go and get it. I've already said I won't get it for them so I'm not worried about them using it during school. Hillary isn't allowed to have it at school at all.
October 7th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Regular
Yes, but aren't allowed in school. Must be kept in the car for safety.
October 10th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rawisner@Sep 17 2005, 12:27 PM
My kids both have them and take them to school.* The school just recently changed their policy about them.* Last year the were not allowed to have them on school property, although both my kids did, just kept it hidden.* This year they are allowed to carry them but not use them during school hours.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Yea, what is everyone's school policy on cell phones -- I can see it being banned since it could be distruption in the classroom?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search