Puberty Question

Forum: Moms of Teens and Preteens

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Teens and Preteens LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2005, 12:37 PM
Bissie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never posted on this board before, I honestly didn't know it existed until I had a question, and I was looking for answers, but I'm hoping someone here can help me.

My 10 yr old dd was in the shower yesterday, and usually I giver her privacy to shower & do whatever it is that she wants/needs to do in my bathroom, but I really had to go to the bathroom, so I knocked, and let her know that I had to come in. She said "Okay!"

While I'm in there, she gets out of the shower, and I was a little shocked to see that she's got pubic hair. (I had no idea at all) She's had the "breast buds" for about 6 months and I had bought her a bra, but I wasn't aware of the other signs of puberty.

Anyway, she's also got hair growing under her arms, and her leg hair is thicker & coarser than usual. My question is: At age 10, is it okay to allow her to shave? We sat and talked about puberty & the changes in her body, and she told me she's very uncomfortable with the hair. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable, but I'm not sure about giving my 10 yr old a razor either! And if I do, do I sit with her while she shaves? (I mean, I KNOW I'd have to show her how to) ....

She's my oldest, so I've never been through this before. Any input is greatly appreciated! And any ideas to help her transition into a teenager is helpful as well. I'd thought about taking just her, and buying her "special" things (Body spray, lotion, hair brush, hair clips, etc.) and putting it into a basket for her?

Thanks!!

</div>
September 21st, 2005, 02:59 PM
loving Alissa and Olivia
I am not a mom to a teen but I know if my mom had done that I would have been thrilled. I kept my period from my mom for 2 months... I think you should ask her does she want to learn to shave... I think shaving at 10 is ok... People overrate things like shaving... you should get her a electric razor they dont cut the skin... I would ask her does she want you to help her as well... if she wants to shave the pubic hair let her... just don;t let her mascacer herself with a razor. I could understand shaving it off at 10... that would be embarasssing
September 21st, 2005, 04:23 PM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
I am not a mom of a teen or a preeteen yet. My oldest is only 6. BUT my good friend has a daughter who is 11 now. She was in the same boat as you. She thought that shaving was a little too young at 9 when her daughter got all sorts of hair, although it needed to be done. So instead she got some Nair. They did it together the first couple of times and then she felt comfortable letting her do it herself. Now she shaves and the first few times she was with her and did her legs too so that she felt comfortable with letting her do it. I hope that makes sense. She did get her a basket full of girly stuff for her that included a razor, deoderant, pads, tampons, hair clip, lip gloss(clear or tinted pink) and some other really girly stuff. She got her first period right after she turned 10 so it was a rushed thing with my friend...she thought she had more time. There is also a really great book out there that you could get her. It is called Its a girl thing. It really helped my friends daughter. Good Luck.

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
September 21st, 2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the input! I went to Walmart, and gave her the option of the Nair razorless kit, or shaving cream & a razor - she wanted the latter, so I'm going to attempt to show her how to shave tonight. (Cross your fingers for me!)

I bought the book that you mentioned, as well as "The Period Book" off of Amazon. (They suggested it with the purchase of the other one) it will be here Friday. I did buy her a basket full of girlie things, and she's just thrilled to pieces over it all.

THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH! This is new ground for me!

</div>
September 21st, 2005, 08:06 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I say let her shave if it makes her uncomfortable. My mom thought you had to be 12 to shave and I snuck and did it earlier because I was so ashamed at school. Schick has a safety razor that I use cause I can't manage to shave without cutting myself and that one is great!
September 21st, 2005, 09:01 PM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have two teenage girls. Both started shaving around 9/10 years old. I showed them how to in the beginning. I think they did the underarms first before anything else.

I think it is a great idea to buy them lots of girly things as a welcome to women hood. I wish my mother had been more open with me. Going through changes can be so hard for girls.

Sounds like you are doing a great job with her. Way to go mom!

September 22nd, 2005, 06:13 AM
sanderson76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to sanderson76
Our oldest daughter is 13 and we have one that is 10..we just started buying the 10 year old bras, (eventhough DH feels that she is still too young.HA)

Anyway..we are keeping on track with when we let our oldest start shaving with the youngest...This coming summer she will be allowed to shave and will be just turning 11. We let our oldest start shaving with the nair type stuff the summer before she went into the 6th grade and she never complained..so we are going to do this with Angelica also.

MY BLOG

September 22nd, 2005, 09:58 AM
UPDATE:

She did GREAT with the razor! She got 1 little knick on her knee, and that's where she jumped when her littlest sister came in to investigate what she was doing.

She woke up this morning like a while new child! Her hair was so nice and pretty (usually she just pulls it back, but she wore it down & so neatly brushed!!) She took time to pick out a nice outfit instead of jeans & a tshirt. I can hardly wait for her to get in today so that I can see how she's feeling this afternoon!

You guys are great! Thanks!!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search