Catherine Anastasia's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories after Recurrent Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2009, 06:38 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi all! I can't believe that Caitie is already 2 weeks old (as of yesterday)!! How quickly time has flown.

On June 3rd, driving to my NST, I started having what I thought were bh contrax. They were not hurting at all, just tightening. I'd been having them off and on for the last few weeks anyways and as of the week before's appt. I was told that my cervix was long, hard and closed.

I had my NST and the nurse asked how I was feeling. I said fine and continued chatting away with her. But before I got a chance to go to an examination room to see my doctor, the nurse told me to hang out in the NST room for a minute. She wanted to run the NST paper by the doctor. She came back in and said that my OB wanted me to go right to L&D. My contrax were too regular at 2-3 minutes apart.

So I called dh, who was on his way back to my doctor's office to pick me up, and asked him to drop the kids off at a baby sitters, that I was being sent to L&D. A nurse asked me if I needed a wheel chair and I was like, "umm no...these aren't painful" (I still thought they were only bh's. lol

At L&D they took my bp and it was HIGH! That's when I knew this was the real deal. I only had high bp during pg. when I was either in labor or m/c'ing.

I was only a fingertip dilated. The nurse at l&d asked me about pain on their pain scale and I said "0"...no pain. But within a half an hour, the pain was about a 4. BP continued to stay high and even with their best efforts of IV fluids, meds, etc. they couldn't get contrax to stop or bp down.

MFM doctor and my ob conferred and decided to deliver. I overheard a nurse and the doctor talking about Caitie's heart rate dipping during contrax.

I had a spinal and immediately started having a scary reaction. The room was spinning, I was extremely nauseous and I felt like there was something heavy on my chest. I started freaking out and begging them not to put me under. The anesthesiologist told me that he would not do that unless they absolutely had to. I started to gag and throw up some bile (sorry tmi) as I hadn't eaten anything since around 7 am and it was now after 5 pm. As soon as I did, though, I felt soooo much better and the room stopped spinning. The anesthesiologist asked if I was feeling better and I said, "YES!" He said that reaction often happens when your bp drops so quickly...by bp was registering on the normal/low side by then.

Dh was soon ushered in and he saw that they had already started opening me up...kind of freaked him out a little.

Caitie was born at 5:42 pm. She was in a transverse/breach position. Because they had to finagle to get her out, her little legs and feet bruised right away.

She was born with immature lungs and her first apgar was only 3. They gave her some oxygen and her 2nd apgar was 9. They then rushed her right to the NICU. Dh went with her.

I had a tubal ligation and was sewn up before being moved to the recovery room.

When dh came back, he told me that she looked really good, but they were putting her on CPAP. She weighed 6 lbs. 2 oz. and was 18 inches long. I couldn't wait to see and hold her.

I didn't get to hold her right away. She was put on another type of oxygen and then on a vent for 2 days. She needed a drug called Cerfactin (or something like that). It's basically an enzyme that naturally occurs to soften the lungs. But unfortunately, Caitie hadn't gotten it yet naturally. They had to give her two doses (12 hours apart), but then her lungs opened up beautifully.

I went home on Saturday, but Caitie ended up staying until the following Thursday morning. I went 4x a day to the NICU because once off the vent, they let her try to breastfeed. She started out right off and did super! She breastfeeds like a champ!!

There's so much more that I'm probably leaving out...but I'm so happy that she's home and doing so well.

I have another appt. with her pediatrician tomorrow morning. I can't wait to see how much weight she's gained. She looks like she's filling out really well.

July 22nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like you had a few scares there, but I am so glad that everything has turned out beautifully. I didn't even know you could have contrax that didn't hurt...LOL She is just darling & I am sure you are over the moon! Congrats again!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here it is. I posted it back in July.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search