Sally Elizabeth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories after Recurrent Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The whole experience took me a while to process, but here it is:

I woke up at 6am on Monday, April 9 with the first real contractions. I had had a ton of BH contractions, but these were different - they were all in my back. At first I thought it was an intestinal thing, but by the third one I was pretty sure it was labor. Contractions started out 10 minutes apart. DH and I stayed home from work, and I called the dr's office at 1pm. They saw me at 2pm, and said I was dilated to a 7 and 90% effaced, and they sent me to the hospital. I was all excited to be so far along.

We got to the hospital at 3pm, and then... nothing happened for hours. I was still a 7 and contractions 5 min apart at 6pm when the midwife suggested we break my water, since "this could go on for days." So we did, and things picked up after that, although still all back labor. I wasn't sure going into it what I was going to do about drugs, but at that point I decided to try the analgesic route. Drugs worked well, but then wore off after a few hours. I decided to get the epidural, and I loved it!

Then came the hard part. It turns out she was rotated a bit so that her head was closer to face up then face down. It took me three hours of pushing before she was out, and unfortunately, the epidural ran out about an hour before she was born. I think the midwife thought things would go faster than they did at the end.

So in the end, I had the stereotypical, screaming at the top of your lungs delivery that you see on tv, because she was so hard to get out at that angle, and the epidural had long worn off - I could feel everything. I also got carpal tunnel in both hands, but I'm not sure if it was from the pushing or from the swelling from the epidural. I've still got numbness in both my hands now, so hopefully it will go away soon.

She was born at 12:53am on Tuesday, April 10, just about 19 hours after the first contractions.

If I do this again, I definitely want the drugs all the way through! But we made it, and in the end it was totally worth it.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

April 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I believe you when you say "in the end it was totally worth it". God bless you and your family always. thank you for sharing Sally with us!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
April 20th, 2007, 09:58 AM
candacesoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sara,
Thank you so much for sharing the story of Sally's birth with us. Hugs to her and you!

April 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad everything turned out fine. I am right there with you on the screaming &pushing. So sorry your epi wore off just in time for the hardest part. Congrats on a fantastic baby girl - you deserve every happiness!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OH my! Another baby is born! Congrats sweetie!

May 24th, 2007, 12:58 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I can't believe I just now saw this post! I'm sorry your epi wore off, but glad that you have your sweet baby girl to help you forget about it.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search