CPAP - how long?

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How long was your little one on CPAP? I ask because Cayden just went to that and is on a pressure of 6. I asked his nurse more about CPAP, because I know very little about how that is weaned or anything like that. I got the vent because he was on it so long. She told me to expect him to be at 6 for at LEAST three weeks before he can go down and then the lowest is a pressure of 4. Needless to say, I would like to hope for the best and hope that he comes off CPAP sooner than later. The way his nurse talked was like his lungs look terrible, but nobody has really said that to us. So, tonigh I'm going to ask to see what his little lungs look like. Any experiences you can share with me would be great. Thanks.

Tami

March 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would bet with him being on the vent for so long, he'll have some chronic lung disease. That is scarring in their lungs caused by the flow of air through the vent. It looks like pnemonia on a chest x-ray and kids grow out of it eventually. Sarah Beth has it. But you never really know how long it will all last. Sarah Beth was on and off the cpap for about a month. The first week they kept having to reintubate her. The last couple of weeks they were trying to transition to the cannula. She suprised everyone when she finally stayed on it because the nurse was really just trying to give her nose a break for a while before putting it back on but she never needed it back.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
March 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I would bet with him being on the vent for so long, he'll have some chronic lung disease. That is scarring in their lungs caused by the flow of air through the vent. It looks like pnemonia on a chest x-ray and kids grow out of it eventually. Sarah Beth has it. But you never really know how long it will all last. Sarah Beth was on and off the cpap for about a month. The first week they kept having to reintubate her. The last couple of weeks they were trying to transition to the cannula. She suprised everyone when she finally stayed on it because the nurse was really just trying to give her nose a break for a while before putting it back on but she never needed it back.

March 9th, 2009, 05:14 PM
jenp74
I think Logan started out at a pressure of 9 on the CPAP and went down, then up again a couple of times. They told us when he got to a 6 they could do the high flow nasal cannula. Logan was in so much pain from the CPAP tube and kept pulling it out. ( I noticed in pics that CPAPS look different at each NICU). The nurses talked the Dr. into trying the high flow cannula before he got to 6 and he did great, he was a different child. He was on the CPAP for 15 days after being on the vent for two months. He has BPD, but the docs said he could eventually grow out of it. Does your NICU use high flow cannula before they go to a standard cannula? If they do hopefully he can be off of CPAP soon!!

Last edited by jenp74; March 9th, 2009 at 05:21 PM.
March 9th, 2009, 06:11 PM
army_wife1008's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to army_wife1008
Travis was on the vent for almost two months. He came off on Sept 26th and then went to CPAP. He started sprinting on the High Flow Nasal Cannula on October 9th (so almost 2 weeks of just CPAP) and was completely done with CPAP on November 17th. He has pretty severe Chronic Lung Disease from the vent, so everything took him a little longer than normal. I am not sure what Caydens lungs are like, but Travis were pretty yuckie looking.
March 9th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone. I'm not sure how bad his lungs look. I didn't get to look tonight, and I'll try to ask again tomorrow. I'm not sure about the high flow nasal cannula - I'm only aware of the regular one, but I could be wrong. It sounds like a really great thing though, so I"ll see about that. BTW, Cayden weighed 4 lbs 14.7 oz last night!!!

March 10th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Jim's experience with the CPAP was a little different the other moms who've posted because he was only on the vent for like a day, then he switched to the CPAP and was on that for a few weeks. At first they tried transitioning him straight onto a regular canula, that was maybe a week or two into his NICU stay, and of course he wasn't ready for it yet, so they went back to the CPAP. Eventually they switched him to a high-flow canula because his nose was irritated from the CPAP, and he did well on that, so they left him on that for about a week, if I remember right. And then he was on a regular canula for a few weeks, and then was just breathing on his own. It would have been maybe 7 1/2 weeks into his 9-week NICU stay that he got off the canula entirely.

We talked to a respiratory tech we liked when they tried to switch to the canula the first time, and he said that he thought Jim would do well on the high-flow canula, but that some of the NICU docs didn't like the high-flow canula so they were keeping him on CPAP. I much preferred the high-flow canula, Jim was obviously more comfortable on it than he was on the CPAP. I'd like to see MoD or one of the other research groups look into outcomes for kids who transition to a high-flow canula earlier vs. those that stay on CPAP and go straight to a regular canula.

March 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Gosh, I wished I kept a diary of his NICU journey But let me see if I can remember, since everything was such a blur to me due to emotional stress at the time.

Aidan was on the vent for 1 or 2 days the most. Then he was switched to cpap. The doctor told me that they were going to try him off the vent, but sometimes babies will need to go back on it. But thank goodness, Aidan did well off it and remained on cpap for about 4weeks (i think).

When your baby is stronger, they will start trying him off cpap for couple hours at a time. Then eventually he'll show signs that he can do without it.
March 10th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Fist Pumping Champ
I really don't know much about high-flow/low-flow canulas..

DD had the vent tube on for (I think) about a day or two then was switched onto CPAP. They've been trying to wean her off of it but she's still breathing too fast. I don't know much about it (and I don't even know what kinds of questions to ask about it) but all I know is she's not "receiving" any oxygen - the CPAP is there to just give her a constant flow of air to help make her breathing rate go a little easier for her. She's been on the CPAP going on two weeks now.

May 2013 July 2014
March 11th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Luke was on the vent for 2 months and had 3-4 tries at cpap before he finally did it. Cpap lasted another 2 months for him. His lungs were really bad. They were completely white. Then high flow for that last month in the NICU. I always looked at all of his xrays. I even have them on a cd disc from the xray dept. He has a total of 5 discs, he had so many xrays!

A Huge Shout Out to Naz1996 for my awesome siggie!
March 11th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Bluebayou's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Bluebayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBethsMommy View Post
Hughie had/has severe chronic lungs due to his prematurrty and because he was on a jet ventilator for over a month. He eventually moved to bubble cpap, then regular cpap, then the lowflow canulas. I think that they usually go from cpap to loflow but every baby is different. Hughie was on cpap for over a month....your may be the same or may be on for a shorter period of time. It all depends. I know its hard but you will have to wait and see. I hope the baby comes off of it soon!

March 11th, 2009, 09:40 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
Coral was never on a vent but I didn't see many babies in our NICU with CPAP. Coral was never on that - she was the high-flow cannula for much of her stay though. The high-flow has a device that warms and moisturizes the air before it comes to baby. The low-flow just plugs into the hospital wall It always interests me how different NICUs can be....

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
March 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Oh, we were on high flow cannula until about 3 days before discharge when they switched her to low flow (because that was what we could go home with).

March 11th, 2009, 11:05 AM
chlodoll
Gabe was never on the vent but he was on CPAP for a month cycling with low flow. At first he was cycling with no assistance but that was during his "honeymoon" stage. So they would have him on CPAP for 6 hours then low flow for 6 hours. Sometimes it was 8 hours on 4 hours off, or 4 hours off and 8 hours on. It was always all over the place!

Gabe has mild chronic lung disease. I guess its only considered mild because he was never on a vent.
March 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Mom of 3 Preemie girls
Calleigh was on a vent for 5 days, then moved to Cpap but didn't tolerate it so they moved her to SiPap. She was on that a bit, then back to Cpap for weeks. During the weeks on Cpap they would do sprinting with her, 1 hour a shift nasal cannula, then up it as she tolerated it. That took about 1.5 weeks to get on nasal cannual then about 4-5 days before she got of nasal.
Our SiPap is like the picture of Cayden (with the funky head gear) and our Cpap is either just prongs or this triangle thing over the nose. I will see if I can find pictures of them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search