My preemies first illness

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM
mummy2angel&ray's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So my daughter who was born at 24 weeks 5 days who is now 16 months actual, 13 months adjusted was diagnosed with chronic lung disease while in hospital.
In the last couple days she has come down with a cough and stuffy nose. Her first illness since being discharged last feb. I can hear the flem in her chest and she's seeing her pediatrician tomorrow but i'm terrified it's going to get worse and turn into something like a bronchi infection and i'm so scared she will end up in hospital.
Anyone had this happen with there ex-preemie and did it turn into anything bad? I'm just more worried because of her lung disease

Thank you HeatherW97 for my siggy

365 days of photos http://stephybean.blog.ca/

April 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi there...

Aidan is a 28weeker. He is now 11mths actual age, about 9months corrected age. Few months ago, back in january it happened to him. He had cold symptoms, stuffy and runny nose. And a phlemy cough. He would cough so hard that he couldn't keep his milk down. He was also weezing.

Anyway, turned out tests showed he had RSV, but thankfully a mild case. His doctor didn't understand how he could have gotten it since he was getting the RSV shot every month. But we just figured that maybe the shot helped him in getting only a mild case.

So, he said that Aidan has "Bronchiolitis", due to the RSV. That was the reason for the bad phlemy cough. He wasn't hospitalized, but was prescribed 2 puffers. It didn't make a difference right away, but eventually after about 10days or so, his cough got better and eventually went away. What a relief it was!!

I don't know if he was ever diagnosed with a "chronic lung disease". But I think his doctor told me that preemies who were incubated and was given oxygen, HAS a chronic lung disease. So he said that most likely aidan will now have asthma in the future, due to the bronchiolitis that he's already gotten.

Your baby will only be hospitalized if she is showing signs of trouble breathing. If it's just a cough, they may just prescribe puffers. Hopefully it's not too bad and she won't have to go to the hospital.
April 8th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
First off, I just want to say, congratulations on going this long without her getting a cough or cold! Seriously, you are definitely doing a great job containing the germs!

Secondly, let me share something that our doctors have often told us in the 20 months since Jim's discharge from the NICU: preemies get colds and coughs just like any other kid does, and most of the time it won't be anything serious. A typical cold for a baby/toddler lasts up to two weeks and often comes with coughing and a fever. Now, sometimes more serious bugs come around that make babies sicker and maybe need antibiotics or an inhaler, which is why if your daughter's cough seems scary to you, it's always a good idea to call your pediatrician. But I find it really reassuring to know that all kids get colds and I don't need to be terrified.

This might also give you some peace of mind: Jim doesn't have a spleen, so on top of the preemie thing, he's also immune-compromised. So he's had pneumonia twice and bronchiolitis once since coming home from the NICU. But none of those illnesses led to him going back to the hospital, because we were sure to meet with his pediatrician if we were nervous and get him help early, so hospital stays were never necessary, and he got well and went back to playing and being a regular kid.

I will keep my fingers crossed that your daughter just has a regular cold and that she's feeling better soon! Keep us posted about how it goes with your pediatrician!

First off, I just want to say, congratulations on going this long without her getting a cough or cold! Seriously, you are definitely doing a great job containing the germs!

Secondly, let me share something that our doctors have often told us in the 20 months since Jim's discharge from the NICU: preemies get colds and coughs just like any other kid does, and most of the time it won't be anything serious. A typical cold for a baby/toddler lasts up to two weeks and often comes with coughing and a fever. Now, sometimes more serious bugs come around that make babies sicker and maybe need antibiotics or an inhaler, which is why if your daughter's cough seems scary to you, it's always a good idea to call your pediatrician. But I find it really reassuring to know that all kids get colds and I don't need to be terrified.

This might also give you some peace of mind: Jim doesn't have a spleen, so on top of the preemie thing, he's also immune-compromised. So he's had pneumonia twice and bronchiolitis once since coming home from the NICU. But none of those illnesses led to him going back to the hospital, because we were sure to meet with his pediatrician if we were nervous and get him help early, so hospital stays were never necessary, and he got well and went back to playing and being a regular kid.

I will keep my fingers crossed that your daughter just has a regular cold and that she's feeling better soon! Keep us posted about how it goes with your pediatrician!

April 9th, 2009, 02:39 PM
mummy2angel&ray's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the replies ladies!!
I took her in yesterday and the doctor said her chest sounds fine. He suggested we use a himidifier and gave us some dimetapp.
Last night was a rough night though she was up for a while with a coughing fit and when I gave her bottle this morning in bed she coughed so much she threw it up
I took into the shower with me and the steam helped loosen away some of them fleghm (sp?) so I will be doing that again tonight before bed so she can hopefully have a good sleep.
I know preemies are more susceptible to RSV and bronchiolitis so thats why I was scared. Im not sure if now at 13 months adj she can still get it so i'm keeping a close eye on her.

Should I have requested an RSV test? If her fleghm and cough don't clear up or get better by say.. monday or tuesday should I be worried and should I take her in again?

Thank you HeatherW97 for my siggy

365 days of photos http://stephybean.blog.ca/

April 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It depends how long she's been sick. 2 weeks from start to finish is pretty typical for a cough/cold. If she starts to get worse during that two weeks (fever spike, not keeping down any meals for a day) then that's when I'd call the ped to schedule another appointment.

Another tip: when Jim gets a cough, it helps him if he can sleep more upright. Like, I sit in a rocking chair or recliner and lay him on my chest kangaroo-care-style and get him to sleep that way. That seems really soothing to him and I find that helps keep the coughing fits down a bit.

I hope she feels better, poor thing!

April 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Luke was a 24 weeker and in dec and jan got very sick. They thought it was pnuemonia and admitted him but then the docs disagreed. It took a month to get rid of! He was on albuterol along with his daily inhaler. I have heard from 2 doctors that have said RSV seaon for us is pretty much over (New Jersey) It sounds like it is all upper airway. I hope it doesn't get any worse.

A Huge Shout Out to Naz1996 for my awesome siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search