Advice on the NICU haircut (Update in post 9)

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
OK, I am sure many of you also got the wonderful NICU haircut, here is Lily's!!

Little by little they kept shaving off more and more, by the time she got home, it was almost a circle all the way around her head, with just the top left. Now fast forward 2 years, and her hair is a mess. The shaved parts do not seem to like to grow. In the front, she looks like she has a receding hairline, and it is not even an inch long. On the back it is maybe 2 inches and a half long, and then that middle part that didn't get shaved is like 5 or 6 inches long, it looks so funny.

It wasn't a problem when she was smaller, I covered it with big headbands and bows. But now the longer it gets, the more it really stands out. I am not sure what to do with it, how can I cut it all even, she would have no hair left since the front is still so danged short.

Here are some photos of it now, see on her left side (right in the photo) is the worst spot, it just has hardly grown at all.

On her right, our left it has grown in a bit more, but still not enough to do anything with.

And here is the back i took just now.

The obvious thing is the tail, which is much longer than the rest of the back. But see her two piggy tails on top, I almost always have that up in an elastic because it is soo much longer than the bottom and when it is down it looks odd.

In short there are 5 major portions of her hair all different lengths.Help me solve this problem, I seriously debated on shaving it all and starting again, but she is so pretty and I love doing her hair.

Last edited by Delekatala; March 26th, 2011 at 04:26 AM.
March 8th, 2011, 09:20 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I would take her into Great Clips or someplace like that and have her hair cut. I know it's a big thing to cut their hair but it would get stuff evened up and they could tell you what to do about her hair on the one side not growing faster. Robbie looked a lot like Lily when he was about 2.

Here he was at a year old

And at almost 2.

And at 3.

There is hope! I'd seriously just take her in and get everything evened up and see what happens.
March 8th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree and would take her in and get it sort of evened out. Kenzie was lucky and never had her head shaved. They did trim a little on the side for the tape for CPap. Madison had hers shaved for ivs. We never got to the point to worry about hair growth. Kenzie took forever to get hair thou. Madison had longer hair in the back than Kenzie.
March 9th, 2011, 07:49 AM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
I dont have any advice, I just had to say that first pic is absolutely adorable!!

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
March 9th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Breanne's Avatar Veteran
LOVE the pictures!! I agree with the others, maybe a kids salon would be able to even it out? Good luck and keep us posted!
March 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
I would have it evened out as much as possible, too. I bet eventually it grows out looking more normal! Coral also had the NICU haircut, they even shaved a stripe right down the front middle like a reverse mohawk Thankfully that one grew back in quickly, but her two big side stripes took much longer. Now at age 4 her hair is super duper fine but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the shaving or if that's just how it normally is. You can't tell that she ever had the NICU cut though!

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
March 10th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to add that I had surgery on my head at eight years old. i had a skull fracture. They shaved half my head. It was a long time to have it grow out normal. i wish they would have shaved my entire head looking back.
March 10th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess we were lucky that Jim didn't grow almost any hair until he was 2, so he didn't require any shaving in the NICU! Even now at 3 1/2 it's not thick. Then again, when it did finally grew in, it certainly didn't grow in evenly. So, I too would ditto the idea of going to a professional. We took Jim to a fancy-pants kids' hair salon for his first hair cut when it started to grow in, and they did a great job sorting out the many weird lengths he had going on. Now that it grows at a uniform rate, I just use a pair of electric clippers and cut it myself, because, what does he care what his hair looks like? I figure I can keep that up until he starts noticing girls.

March 26th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Forgot to update this, I did cut Lilys hair. It looks a lot healthier now, though I can't style it much anymore and that makes me sad, LOL.

March 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I love her hair! Hopefully it'll start to grow out evenly quickly!
March 28th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Breanne's Avatar Veteran
Love her new hair cut!! You did an awesome job, she looks absolutely beautiful!!
March 28th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Very cute! I thought i posted this before but i guess not - a while ago i used to read a blog with a family with twin girls, i'm not sure if they were in the NICU for long but one of the girls had horribly think, uneven hair so the mom shaved it all off when she as about 2 and it grew back beautifully!

March 28th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam914 View Post
Very cute! I thought i posted this before but i guess not - a while ago i used to read a blog with a family with twin girls, i'm not sure if they were in the NICU for long but one of the girls had horribly think, uneven hair so the mom shaved it all off when she as about 2 and it grew back beautifully!
I was so tempted to shave it, lol. But i am glad I didn't, if i had messed up the haircut that was my backup plan.
April 8th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Love it! Luckily Isabelle never got the NICU cut, she did have an IV in her head but they didn't shave for it?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search