In Desperate Need for Advice...

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Preemie Momma
Amaya is doing well, growing quickly and gaining weight beautifully, but her colic is truly beginning to get the better of our household. While my husband is laid off, we've been staying with my father and step-mother, who have been doing their best to assist us, but neither of them have dealt with a baby that has colic before. So, here's the issue. She grunts... Constantly. If she's not in a deep sleep, which is getting truly hard to get her into, she's grunt and seems terribly uncomfortable. If she's being held, it's not anywhere near as bad, but with that being said, we can't lay her down to do anything. She grunts until she makes herself cry... And we're talking screaming cry. I'm kinda at a point where I don't know what to do. I even had the doctor give us medicated drops for her colic and they just don't help. If we can't figure something out, I'll never be able to do anything but hold her all the time, and that's really going to hurt me trying to go back to school...
March 10th, 2011, 07:40 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
Does she have reflux? The grunting sounds like a reflux thing, and that's certainly common with preemies. Coral was so bad that she would scream bloody murder the second you laid her on her back, even if she had been sound asleep in your arms. We eventually gave up and she became a tummy sleeper even though it's a no-no. She also spent a lot of time upright in the kangaroo care position in a ring sling.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
March 10th, 2011, 11:09 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I would see if she has reflux.
March 11th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Breanne's Avatar Veteran
I also agree, Bryson has reflux and before medicated was doing the same thing, its really painful for them and can cause damage if not treated so definitely check with her ped. Its also REALLY hard on mommies too, so it may give you a little sanity back if that's what it is! I also remember though as Bryson was a HUGE grunter that the nurses while he was in the NICU said that it seems to be a preemie thing so I'm not sure if its directly related to reflux. Is she vomiting at all? Is she a good eater? Good luck and keep us posted!
March 11th, 2011, 07:15 AM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
I agree, classical reflux symptoms

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
March 11th, 2011, 09:02 AM
They sound like reflux symptoms.
March 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with all the above. And I'll say that if your pediatrician tries to put you off and say it is just bad colic, change pedis or keep asking until they do a swallow study or give you meds for reflux.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
March 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the reflux suggestion, there are meds they can put her on if that's what it is. Jim's wasn't bad and we found that on nights that he wouldn't sleep on his back, a bouncy seat was a lifesaver. We'd strap him into that thing and set it next to our bed, and he'd sleep much better than he did laying down flat. But his wasn't that extreme, yours sounds much worse so I'd talk to a doc.

March 13th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Preemie Momma
She eats pretty well, typically, she eats around 2 oz per feeding, but sometimes she'll vary (eat maybe 3 oz one feeding and less than 2 then next) but over the past few days, she has been crying mid-feeding. She'll start feeding, seem fine and then randomly start crying. It'll last for a few seconds and then she'll be fine. And we can't put her on her back either. With the reflux, did your babies have moments out of a day every once in a while where they didn't really grunt that much, they just acted like a regular happy baby? Because Maya does that. Most of the time it's constant grunting, but occasionally, (like at 6 this morning) she will just lay there with here eyes open, move around and make normal baby noises... Or at least normal to me considering I've never had a baby. Lol.

It's sorta just put me and my husband at wits end because we don't know what to do for her.
March 13th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you using formula? Aidan used to grunt too. I realized it was because of the formula I was giving him. I switched to another brand, it stopped. For the life of me, I can not remember what I switched him to. It's the one that is gentle on the tummy.
March 14th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Preemie Momma
I'm using what the NICU told me to use. Neosure. I asked my doc. when he thought she could come off of it, (because I was thinking it would ease her colic) and he said probably around her 6 month marker, so we've got a little while, but if the reflux thing is true, which I have done a good bit of research since the suggestions and she practically has nearly every symptom I've seen, when I take her to the doctor tomorrow hopefully we'll come up with a solution.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I would've never guessed reflux but it's so funny how it clicked as soon as I read it on here. My whole family now feels ridiculous for not thinking of it before. lol! LOVE!
March 15th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep sounds like reflux. Kenzie was that way and was a new baby with Zantac and rice cereal in her bottles. Sure made life easier for us.
March 15th, 2011, 10:21 PM
shannonranee
Its sounds like reflux to me also. anttie had terrible reflux but we couldnt get her drs to give her anything for it until she was 8 months old becasue when they did a few tests on her it dint show any damage being done. If I was awake and in the room with her I let her sleep on her tummy. Thats really all I could do - either that or NEVER put her down. She liked her swing as long as it didnt swing and her bouncy as long as it didnt bounce or vibrate - I am thinking maybe with the reflux the movement upset her tummy but IDK. Maybe try those things. Also a warm (not hot) heating pad on her tummy also helped sometimes.

Putting cereal in Nattied bottles did not help at all.
March 16th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Breanne's Avatar Veteran
Sounds like it to me too... Bryson has been on Prevacid for about 8 months now and it really does the trick! He was also on Nutramigen formula for 5 months which really helped as well! He absolutely hated the taste but at least could keep most of it down! He also had to sleep on an incline, during the day he napped in his swing and at night we had his bassinet on and huge incline. He's in his crib now but only sleeps on his tummy. I would definitely call your doctor and push for something to be done about it! Good luck and keep us posted!
March 16th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Preemie Momma
Well, first doc played off as bad colic... so I swapped Ped's yesterday and went to her appointment earlier today. We were given Zantac in .5 mL doses 2x a day. She's been given one dose already... but I'm curious, how long does it take to kick in? And now she has a wicked cough... It only went away when she fell into a deep sleep. Is over the counter cough meds ok? She's up to 7lbs now....

*sigh* Maybe sometime soon I'll get the hang of this whole taking care of her thing, it just sorta seems like she throws me a new curve every day. Lol
March 16th, 2011, 08:44 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Do not give her OTC cough meds. They shouldn't be given to anyone under like 3 or 4. If her cough persists, call the Pedi. Do you have a humidifier in her room? I would suggest trying a humidifier first.
March 17th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateri_donoma View Post
Do not give her OTC cough meds. They shouldn't be given to anyone under like 3 or 4. If her cough persists, call the Pedi. Do you have a humidifier in her room? I would suggest trying a humidifier first.
a few years back, the medical community decided cough meds aren't safe for kids under 4 because there's too big a risk of overdosing. We find a humidifier works wonders.

March 17th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Breanne's Avatar Veteran
Bryson didn't have any luck with the zantac but his doctor waited a good 2 weeks to see if the meds would work before switching to the Prevacid. So I'm guessing it can take that long to see the full benefits.
I agree with the others, we use a humidifier as well and swear by the saline drops for a stuffy nose!
March 17th, 2011, 09:21 PM
shannonranee
Nattie had no luck with previcid or zantac (or special formula or even thicked formula for that matter) - we just had to wait until she grew out of it - which she did right around 9 months 3 weeks when she quit eating pureed food and doesnt drink as much formula.
March 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Preemie Momma
Update: A HUGE thank you to all you incredible moms! It's taken a few days, but for the first time since we brought her home, we actually have a peaceful baby! She's actually able to lay down now, and she even just looks up at us and stuff like that. I know it may seem crazy to make such a big deal about it, but we've never seen her act like this. Even while she was in the NICU she did a lot of grunting, but because we lived such a ways away from the NICU she was in, we weren't able to be there all the time, so we didn't really know exactly what she was supposed to act like.

So, thank you SOOOO much for you tips. I would've never thought to look for reflux, and thanks to you all, Amaya finally seems to be comfortable. (And I'm actually able to get some sleep!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search