Hi, I'm new here!

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2011, 05:51 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Welcome to the board! I'm Tiff. I'm mom to Robbie (26weeker - now 7), Bryce and Merrick (both FT).

The NICU and other high care nurseries are a roller coaster! The best advice I can give you is not to expect too much. Most babies don't take all their feeds until they are about 36 weeks. Sounds like Aiden is doing well with his feeds that he's taking that much! Sending lots of thoughts and vibes for him to start feeding fully to go home with you where he belongs!
March 20th, 2011, 09:43 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the board! I'm Beth, mommy to 2 preemies... Sarah Beth,27 weeker and Daniel, 35 weeker (though I don't totally consider my 35 weeker to be preemie since he had no issues). I also have one baby boy in heaven, Bryan Luke, and a 3 year old foster son.

Feeding is tricky for even full term babies sometimes. I know it is highly discouraging when you just want your baby home, but it sounds like he is getting it. He just needs a little more time. The goal of the doctors in the NICU is that when he goes home he will NOT have to come back in, so they often err on the side of caution with how long they keep them.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
March 20th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Arachne
Welcome! I have one baby, a preemie at 34 weeks. He was in the NICU for 22 days, so he came home at 37w gestation. Though, I do believe the first hospital he was in delayed him, feeding-wise.

The NICU is very much an emotional roller coaster. It is very much one step forward, two steps back. I hope you get to take your little boy home soon! I'm sending good thoughts his way.
March 20th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Preemie Momma
Welcome! I'm Brianna mother of Amaya, born on Christmas of '10 at 28 wks.

I completely feel your frustration. Having a preemie is very hard. Fortunately for me, Amaya didn't have too many health issues other than just being early, but every single time something miniscule came up, I left the NICU in tears scared to death how I would get by.

She was in the NICU a little over a month, and she came home on Superbowl Sunday. She was the most incredible Christmas gift ever, and although taking care of her sometimes can get a little hard, and daily trips to the hospital aren't only exhausting, but expensive nowadays. but, if there is one things that can be said, there is NO greater feeling than the day you get to bring your baby home.

The mothers here have been wonderful in helping me out, and I know they'll be helpful to you as well.
March 21st, 2011, 07:48 AM
shannonranee
welcome. I am shannon. I have 1 daughter Natalie (32 weeker) now 10 months. I didnt think she would ever get her feedings down. we brought her home at 37 weeks and still had to force feed her every three hours. I dont think she totally got the hang of eating good until she was near her due date (if we had not pushed for them to let us bring her home she would have been in the NICU until her due date or later - but the drs agreed to let her come home becasue although she was not a good eater I could "make" her take her entire feeding from the bottle). she also didnt gain weight real fast at first - she was 3lbs 7oz at birth and 4lbs 9oz when we brought her home at 37 weeks, now she is 17lbs exactly.
March 21st, 2011, 08:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm Beth, mom to Jim, who was also a PROM baby, born at 27 weeks. He came home at about 36 weeks gestational age. We were lucky with Jim, he's always been a good eater, although thinking back, I think he was probably about 35 weeks when he finally got to full feeds and not needing any meals gavaged.

You are right about the NICU, when you think you're making progress, then something happens to set you back. And every day spent there is a day you wish you and your baby were at home instead. The good news is, that day will come eventually...the bad news is, it never comes as soon as we'd like. Just know we're all rooting for Aiden to grow strong and come home ASAP!

March 21st, 2011, 09:22 AM
Breanne's Avatar Veteran
Welcome! I'm Breanne, mommy to Bryson who was born June 4, 2010, also 34wks but weighed only 2lbs 7oz. We were lucky that we didn't have any major issues in the NICU as well but still spent 4 weeks there mainly due to the fact that he had to weigh 3lbs 12oz to come home. Feeding can be a huge issue/frustration and at times it feels like they will never get it! But once they do its all up hill from there! I found with Bryson it was literally like a switch that turned on one day and then the next day his ng tube was out so just keep in mind he WILL get the hang of it! We have always and still to this day have issues with feeding and weight gain but feel so incredibly fortunate to have our little boy with us!
Please know that we are all here for you and praying for you and Aiden to be home really soon. Make sure to keep us posted as much as possible and post as many pictures as you want!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search