Preemie Sucking... Advice?

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM
Preemie Momma
Amaya reached her DD last Monday on the 14th. According to the Ped. her sucking should be like that of a normal newborn, but she still dribbles and she can't keep a passie in her mouth on her own. It has to be propped or held in with your hand... not a great pacifier if I can't walk away. The Ped said to hold the bottle like a pencil with a finger resting under her chin in order to remind her that she's sucking, but no real tips on keeping the passie in.

Any other preemie parents have this problem and should I press the Ped. about possibly getting her seen by someone who specializes in premature sucking?
March 21st, 2011, 07:08 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I don't have any advice really. With Robbie we did the same hold that you were told to do with the bottle. Other than that... keep trying to get her to suck and maybe ask about seeing a speech therapist for her sucking.
March 21st, 2011, 10:17 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the twins came out of hospital at 42 weeks, and we were followed by speech for their sucking as soon as we got home, maybe get a referral to an slp--they took awhile to hold their own paci's in also, and still dribbled some
March 22nd, 2011, 06:27 AM
Breanne's Avatar Veteran
We were never referred (but wondering why after readying your posts) but Bryson dribbled a little for a couple months after coming home. It helped to use the same technique that your doctor told you and I found also the angle that I held him on! Good luck and keep us posted!
March 22nd, 2011, 08:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
M's sucking was fine once he got the hang of it around 39 weeks (took him a while, but when he got it, he got it!)... but he couldnt hold a paci in his mouth for a long time so i dont think thats necessarily something that is wrong with him. We tried a bunch of different kinds and he was finally able to hold in Maam's. It might be the paci not the baby

Last edited by Sam914; March 22nd, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
March 23rd, 2011, 05:27 AM
Breanne's Avatar Veteran
Our NICU used the gumdrop soothers as well, I found they worked for a little while and then he kept spitting them out, the only ones that he would keep in were the nuk ones and then at around 5 months he refused to use any soother and to this day will only use them as a teether!
March 23rd, 2011, 06:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am no help, because Jim also always spit out a paci if we tried to give him one, even in the NICU. Does she seem to need the paci for soothing, or is she OK without it? Like, does she cry when it falls out of her mouth? I mean, this could be a blessing in disguise--in retrospect I'm very glad we didn't have to go through the paci-weaning phase!

About the dribbling, is it that the bottle is too high of a flow and she's getting too much milk in her mouth?

March 23rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Preemie Momma
I'm not sure. All I know is that the NICU said that she would dribble some. She seemed to eat best when we first brought her home out of the Dr. Brown's bottles, but now we're going to try different things to see if they will help with the dribbling.

And is the gumdrops pasi that you're talking about the wee-soothie passie? Cause we have it and she just spits it out. We have the regular soothie and she spits it out. And no, she doesn't cry when it comes out necessarily, BUT she does act like she always wants something in her mouth. I had to run to the store with her yesterday and almost the entire time I was having to hold a bottle in her mouth because no matter what I did, I couldn't soothe her.

Someone told me to try to give her water. I'm seeing her Ped. tomorrow, so I'm hoping he'll have some answers. She's just such a fussy baby... The reflux meds have helped some, but all in all she just kinda gives me a hard time all the time. My parents say that some babies are fussy and some aren't. I have no clue. I do know that the pasi seems to calm here when we hold it in. I just wish we could find one that works for her.
March 23rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Honestly, I'd try other paci's. The Maams are good ones. None of my kids liked the soothie paci's.
March 23rd, 2011, 10:24 PM
shannonranee
Natalie started getting speech therapy at 3 weeks old (while she was still in the NICU). I dont think she properly sucked a bottle until she was around 4 months (actual age). She never learned how to suck a paci and ended up giving it up herself around 3 months old.

I would say maybe ask about speech therapy. Maybe try different bottles - what kind are you using now? Natalie could only use Dr Brown becasue she sucked too hard for other bottles which made her problem worse. If you really want her to take a paci maybe try a preemie paci - when nattie took the paci we used the preemie soothies (have to order them online though as they dont carrie preemie ones in the stores).
March 24th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Michael never got the hang of Soothies but he loved Maam's

March 24th, 2011, 01:55 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
My kids all dribbled and all wouldn't keep a paci in. I breast and bottle fed, it didn't matter which. They just wanted something in their mouth. I remember trying to prop toys around the paci to keep it in. It just takes time. Around 3 mths adjusted I didn't have to hold it in anymore and could actually take a quick shower. I bet if you ask on your due date board, there are babies there with the same problems. It's a baby thing, not a preemie thing.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
March 25th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Preemie Momma
Well, as far as changing bottles go, my parents suggested I try the NUK. She's been using Dr. Brown's for a while now, and eats well out of them, but dribbles a lot. The NUK was apparently what I used as a baby, so I tried it. Still a little dribble, but hardly any at all.

As for the pasi, we finally found one that she's doing alright on holding in. She still can only do it for a few minutes at a time, if that long, but she's getting better. It's a Playtex pasi that looks kinda like the NUK nipple.

And it's lovely to hear that other babies, other than just preemies, can have this problem. Sometimes it gets so stressful because it seems like everything she's going through seems like it's preemie related... and it's not like I can take that away, you know? I guess it just makes me feel bad to see her go through something because she was born too early, even if it's something that's not life-threatening like not being able to hold in a pacifier...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search