Did/Do you love your NICU nurses? (a bonus Grant update too)

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2011, 06:54 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Then please come share your experiences with these women, particularly "Heather".

“You Have Five Minutes To Get Him Latched On…” - My OB said WHAT?!?

I understand the feelings of the women who had bad experiences (none of them had lengthy high level NICU care, which I think explains why they had ****** nurses.) But some posters have never stepped foot into a NICU and yet are condemning all NICU nurses as horrible people.

I posted as Rebecca btw.

Oh and a quick Grant update:

He's almost 11 months, and is still seizure free! His hypotonia is almost gone. He is VERY verbal, with about 10 words and two sentences (HI mama and Hi dada.) He's a champion eater too. He has not yet had a food he doesn't like, strawberries, chicken, cheese, and yogurt are his favorites. He likes chocolate too but he doesn't get that very much. He is a little behind in his motor skills - he didn't sit up until 8 months and didn't switch from army crawling to regular crawling until just this week. But our ped isn't worried. Grant is a little on the trim side but VERY tall. Frustratingly, he has gotten 5 colds this fall/winter, that may be my fault, I have MS and sleep deprivation has combined with it to trash my immune system so I may be bringing stuff home. We've had sleep regression (oh god I'm so tired) but he is now, finally, napping in his crib! Holding him for every single nap was getting really old.

We have pointed a likely culprit for his NICU stay. I took a drug called Lexapro during pregnancy to help treat my bipolar disorder. (I have to take psych meds, or I become extremely ill.) It's not the only medication I took, and it is considered pretty safe, but Grant's neurologist feels strongly that the Lexapro is what caused the trouble.

I've been super busy but I am going to start lurking again to see how everyone is doing.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

March 27th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So glad Grant is doing well! It sounds like he's developing really well!!! Jim didn't really have words until he was almost 18 months, then I couldn't get him to shut up.

March 27th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad Grant is doing well. Sounds like he is doing pretty well.
March 27th, 2011, 05:19 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I'll be honest, he does seem to have a favorite word: dada. He said mama first, but M-F it is dadadadadadadaadadadadada.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

March 28th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Breanne's Avatar Veteran
So glad to hear he is doing so well! Thanks for updating us!
March 28th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Preemie Momma
I adored pretty much all of my NICU nurses. There were only 2 in the 41 days she was there that I wasn't fond of.

The first was a guy. He was very nice, and very informational, but he loomed over my husband and I like we were going to do something to hurt her. It just made me feel uncomfortable. Even though I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong, he just seemed so tense.

The second was a woman. Because my baby had MRSA colonized in her nose, she was put into a room all on her own. Our NICU had only 1 scale, so the nurse that had her a few nights in a row decided to do my daughter's weight last of all the babies. I kept asking if I could give her a bath, etc. but she continued to tell me that she would take care of that around midnight or later when the scale was free... My daughter was in the same gown for three days because she wouldn't let me do anything but hold her... I was pretty p-oed about that...

Otherwise, my experience was wonderful. My favorite NICU nurse was there my daughter was dismissed, and she walked with us all the way down to the car to wish Maya well. She even got teary-eyed. I felt like the people there really cared for her and wanted to take care of her to the best of their ability.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search