Preemie Feeding and GER

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Preemie Momma
So, as many of you wonderful mothers know, my daughter Amaya has GER. To begin with, the .5 mL dose of Zantac 2x a day really helped, and then it went back to the way it was before, and now that she's eating more, it seems like it's getting so much worse.

Just a week or so ago, Maya couldn't eat 4 oz. It was only on a really good feeding that she'd take 3.

I've read online where it says to give smaller, more frequent meals. Well, that's all fine and dandy except for the fact that Maya seems to want to eat ALL THE TIME. I understand that some preemies can be like this, but how am I supposed to cut down on the amount that I feed her if she can eat 4 oz in one feeding and turn around and eat another 1 1/2 in less than an hour?

To make matters worse, she's gone from never spitting up to spitting up every feeding, sometimes more than once.

I guess I'm just at a point where I don't know what to do. She still too small to carry around in one of those front-side packs, so I can't carry her while I try to clean, etc. It says to keep her upright and not crying as much as possible because it worsens the reflux, but unless she's in a REALLY deep sleep, I can't lay her down at all. They've increased her dosage, but still no use.

More than anything though, it stresses me out because i can tell she's uncomfortable and there's nothing I can do for her...
March 28th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Breanne's Avatar Veteran
So sorry, you are still having problems... I completely understand and its so beyond frustrating to watch your baby in pain! Bryson went through the same thing and it wasn't until he was switched from Zantac to Prevacid and Nutramigen that things started to subside as best as they could. Part of the reason for his slower weight gain has to do with his reflux as well. He used to spit up all the time and projectile vomit after pretty much every feed, we used to have to hold a receiving blanket infront of him at all times as you never knew when he was going to hit the wall across the room! Once we found a combination that worked for him it made a world of difference, he still vomited the odd time and spit up all the time but NOTHING like it was before!! Have you tried a lactose-free formula or hypo-allergenic formula? I know a lot of babies with reflux also have a milk-protein allergy or do a lot better on hypo-allergenic formulas like Nutramigen or Alimentum (Bryson included) as they are a lot easier to digest.
Unfortunately, the whole sleep issue will probably not subside until her reflux can get a little more under control... that's what I found anyway.
Hoping you can find some solutions REALLY soon. I know its extremely hard to go through but try and keep your head up, I promise you it does get better! Bryson is still on Prevacid and is still a horrible eater but at least not in pain all the time!
March 28th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the twins used to spend alot of time in their swings, only b/c it kept them upright. My guys were also on prevacid and I just kept them on their regular formula-we also gave them Simethicone drops(can't for the life of me remember the brand, its in the pink box) before each feed. The ped said to do the drops, we did it until they were on solids and sitting up, 4 months adjusted approx. Also, have you raised the head of her crib/pnp/bassinett at least 4-6" yet? We also did that for the twins to 4 months adjusted age. It sucks b/c they're always sliding down in bed, but you can fix that with rolled blankets at their feet. Elevate, elevate, elevate, and we were told that it can take up to two weeks for the meds to really kick in, and I found that growth spurts really worsened their reflux for a bit. Arthur is 24 months actual and he still gets refluxy after meals during a growth spurt. We did not restrict feeds with the twins, and we did lots and lots of burping post feeds, and kept them upright as much as possible until they could sit up on their own. For some reason thats also when they start solids and get better esophageal control
March 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For carrying her, have you tried a wrap? I use a Moby Wrap and it is the BEST thing ever for our little babies. With Sarah Beth, she was just at 4lbs when she came home from the hospital and on oxygen. I could put her in the Moby and she was basically upright and on my chest and I could tuck the oxygen tank in the other side of the Moby so I didn't have to worry with that. It really was perfect for us. I know those pouches are way too big for our kiddos.

BTW, I also made my Moby out of a long piece of cotton fabric. Just cut it down the center lengthwise and I had two Moby Wraps for less than $20.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
March 29th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry you guys are going through this. Have you talked to the doc about upping her dose? Or perhaps adding a calorie booster to her milk/formula?

March 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Preemie Momma
We've got a follow-up for a week and a half from now. And I keep her upright, burp like crazy, raised her bassinet... everything I've read up on, I've tried. Finally tried a NUK pasi which she keeps in better cause they say a pasi helps...

Now, she's got some strange place on her head that looks like ringworm... but how could she have gotten that? We keep everything so clean, we're Germ x freaks and we Lysol any room before she enters it...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search