Diciplining at Daycare...appropriate?

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aidan is in the preschool class now at daycare. He's got 3 teachers. One of which I find very mean to the kids. Anyway, today I walked in on her today yelling at aidan. She was changing another kid's diaper, and she was yelling at aidan at the same time to sit down. And as I walked in she was saying "SIT DOWN"!! but in a very harsh and mean way. It's the type of yelling that I think only the parents can do, but NOT a teacher!

Although I know aidan can be at times difficult, I feel that the way this teacher yells at the kids is unappropriate. It's almost like everytime I see her, she has run out of patience with the kids. I just don't think her manner with the kids is unappropriate.

I used to be comfortable in dropping aidan off there, but for the past few months now I started to feel sorry for him that I have to leave him there with teachers that look like they hate their job.
What would you do? So far I have emailed the director of the center and asked if aidan can be transferred to another class. But I don't think that can be done anytime soon

My other choice right now is relocating him to another center. I do know that what makes a good daycare, are the TEACHERS! I love his daycare, but for the past few months all the good teachers have left, and now all the teachers are just awful. And it is enough for me to want to relocate him.

What would you ladies do if you walked in on the teacher yelling at your child unappropriately?
March 29th, 2011, 09:46 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I would have a talk with the director. If that doesn't help, I'd talk to the teacher herself and tell her that I didn't like the way she was hollering at my child. IF that still doesn't help, I'd find a different center.
March 30th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto Tiff, I'd have a talk with the director. If that doesn't resolve things to your satisfaction, I'd find another daycare, one where the teachers make you feel more at ease. It's hard enough leaving your kid at daycare every day without adding in a lack of trust in the staff, KWIM? Good luck, I hope everything works out!

March 30th, 2011, 07:55 AM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
Find a new daycare. I worked in a daycare center for a long time and I can tell you that the turn over is extremely high so they are not going to do anything to change her behavior; they will only try harder to hide it from you. She is not going to tell her to shape up or find a new job because replacing her is too hard. Basically, when you speak with the director and she speaks with the teacher, the teacher is only going to try harder to behave appropriately when you are around. I have seen it many times over. I guarantee what you seen (meaning she was careless enough to actually let you see it) was only the tip of the ice burg. A teacher should NEVER EVER yell at a child in a daycare, especially a baby or toddler. That is unacceptable. My place in the center was in the 0-24 month room and we were not allowed to discipline in any way. The only thing we could do was redirect unwanted behavior (like biting and hitting.)

Good luck with your decision. If you have a feeling that something isnt right, you are probably right!!

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
April 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateri_donoma View Post
I would have a talk with the director. If that doesn't help, I'd talk to the teacher herself and tell her that I didn't like the way she was hollering at my child. IF that still doesn't help, I'd find a different center.
Ditto
April 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMom4 View Post
Find a new daycare. I worked in a daycare center for a long time and I can tell you that the turn over is extremely high so they are not going to do anything to change her behavior; they will only try harder to hide it from you. She is not going to tell her to shape up or find a new job because replacing her is too hard. Basically, when you speak with the director and she speaks with the teacher, the teacher is only going to try harder to behave appropriately when you are around. I have seen it many times over. I guarantee what you seen (meaning she was careless enough to actually let you see it) was only the tip of the ice burg. A teacher should NEVER EVER yell at a child in a daycare, especially a baby or toddler. That is unacceptable. My place in the center was in the 0-24 month room and we were not allowed to discipline in any way. The only thing we could do was redirect unwanted behavior (like biting and hitting.)

Good luck with your decision. If you have a feeling that something isnt right, you are probably right!!
It is actually strange now. I had mentioned about the yelling to another teacher, and the teacher found out I had commented on it, and she chased me down one day to "explain" herself. Anyway, since then she's been really really nice towards me and to aidan!! she never ever made an effort to talk to me before, and now she makes small talk whenever she see's me. And she is being so nice to aidan INFRONT of me, which I don't know if she's faking it or she really is okay at times. I don't know I wish I could put a nanny-cam on aidan's shirt...haha...or be able to tell me what goes on in class.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search