hi there

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Super Mommy
hi everyone,
new to the nicu, just had my baby boy this morning, weighing 2lbs6oz, we are just a lil over 3 months early (just like his mommy). he had a very rough morning but seems to be doing a little bit better. looking forward to getting to know everyone and chatting as im sure i'll have lots to ask and chat about.

June 30th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome, and congrats on the birth of your son! How is he doing today? How are you feeling? Feel free to as any questions, we're here to help!

June 30th, 2011, 07:52 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! Congratulations on your little boy. I'm sorry he was so impatient to come on out. I hope you'll share more of your story with us! Ask any questions anytime too.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
July 1st, 2011, 07:41 AM
Super Mommy
hi ladies,
ok here's our story. my water broke sometime in april, which would have been 12-15 week area but we aren't exactly sure when because being my first pregnancy i didn't know that's what happened so i didn't speak up (yes i thought i just wet myself). so we go into my regular o.b. mothers day weekend (that friday which was week 18 for me i think) and they ordered a higher level ultrasound at another doc office (they ended up being my new doctors). so at the new doc appointment the following week they determined that my water had broken and i had very little fluid left. so she ordered immediate bed rest until i hit 24 weeks and then had to be admitted into the hospital until i delivered.

i was given two steroid shots when i first got here, we had a scare the first weekend and i was put on the mag for 24 hours. then things looked up again. pretty uneventful until tuesday of this week when i had started going into labor (but none of the nurses told me that's what was going on) so tuesday night i was moved into labor and delivery because i had dilated to 1 and my contractions were extremely painful and like every 2 minutes. i was given the epidural tuesday night, checked wednesday morning at 7, still 1. given an extra dose of pain medicine because i started having bad pain in my hip area, it wouldn't really go away so at 10 or close there to the doctor checked me and said 'umm your having a baby...now'. so they started the mag for like 20 minutes just to help with CP which bought me 20 minutes for someone to get here to be with me and i pushed for maybe 10 minutes. at 1045am kristopher alexander hirsch was born at 2lbs8oz.

he was immediatley taken from me and worked on. they had a lot of trouble with his breathing, he was intubated immediatley and still is. he started a little nutrition last night, has jaundice so he's on the light. his echocardiogram came back good for being 0 days old (they did one wednesday night) they are thinking of weaning him off the oxygen but the doctor isn't totally comfortable yet with it so i told them until the doc is 100% comfortable with it i don't want it happening. he fought to breathe so bad they had to sedate him so he could let the nicu team work on him. im headed down there to see him shortly.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/...Kristopher.jpg
July 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
He is a cutie pie! My DD was born at 26.6 weeks and weighed 1lb10ozs. She is now 5 years old and perfect. She spent a LOT of time on the vent. That was the hardest since we couldn't really hold her or anything during that time. She came home at 76 days but she did require oxygen at home too until she was about 6 months old.

How are you doing? Seeing your baby on a lot of stuff is hard. The jaundice is so normal. And that his ECG came back good is awesome! Most of our preemies have been described as fighters. It is great while they are in the NICU and fighting to breathe and live and all... when he is 3 you'll be wondering why you ever thought being a fighter was a good thing... LOL.

July 1st, 2011, 10:31 AM
Super Mommy

here's another pic.

so far i am doing ok but im right here with him. i leave today so that's going to be hard leaving him here. and yes it is hard not being able to hold or even touch him, they really won't let me. he held his daddy's finger..and i guess grandma too on wednesday. how long is it usually before you get to hold him...i guess it varies probably huh?
July 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM
Varies from hospital to hospital. I didn't get to hold her until she was just over a month old. I could touch her though. Ask every nurse you have if you can hold her. Also ask them to teach you how to interact with her. One of the main things they taught me was to firmly hold her bottom without stroking her or talking much. It calmed her down a whole lot. They also let me do the cluster care stuff. I would go everyday at least twice a day and I planned around those care times so at the very least I could change her diapers and take her temperature.

July 1st, 2011, 11:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I got to hold M at 17 days i believe! He needed to have one of his IV's out before i could (he was on CPAP at that point)

July 2nd, 2011, 12:24 AM
He is so adorable. Congrats mommy and baby. I am new to the nicu thing as well, I just had my little girl at 27 weeks today.
July 2nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OMG he's gorgeous!!!

I think it's good you're telling them to let him take his time weaning off oxygen. When he's ready, everybody will know, and you don't want to push him too fast and end up with a setback.

July 3rd, 2011, 08:13 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congratulations mama, he's beautiful!

Lucky mother to five!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search